Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flight Controller Data Analysis Series Tutorials--Part 1
74376 66 2017-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CNeto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1250102 ft
Portugal

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:12
Our engineers are working on developing this function for Mavic, please wait patiently, thank you.

Getting the .DAT files from Mavic still works with firmware version 01.03.0900 or earlier.
Since 01.03.1000 it does not work anymore.
I hope this gets solved in the next update, it's the only thing right now preventing me from updating to a more recent FW version. Still on 01.03.0900.
2017-10-14
Use props
Osee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 530755 ft
United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-5 10:42
I am on DJI Assistant 1.1.6, just upgraded firmware from 3.1 to 4.0, hoping that access to the flight data would be fixed, but no.
Step 1 of this tutorial is impossible, as SD card shows up as unformatted (no medium present) in Windows Explorer.

This is the same thing that i am getting .  No drive valid for reading SD card . I had to generate DAT file in Assistant / upload data .

When I load the DAT file to the viewer it is blank and no display - even though I picked the largest file to upload and the file size is 213 MB .
data viewer.jpg
2017-10-14
Use props
BudWalker
Captain
Flight distance : 150919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Osee Posted at 2017-10-14 09:31
This is the same thing that i am getting .  No drive valid for reading SD card . I had to generate DAT file in Assistant / upload data .

When I load the DAT file to the viewer it is blank and no display - even though I picked the largest file to upload and the file size is 213 MB .

I'm guessing that the DJI Assistant created a file with a name something like DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-10-27 22-40-28].DAT. If so this contains the FLYnnn.DAT that you want. You can extract that FLYnnn.DAT by using an app called ExtractDJI which can be obtained by first installing CsvView from here http://www.datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html  The ExtractDJI app is bundled with CsvView. Go to the System menu and find CsvView entry and then select ExtractDJI. I.e. CsvView->ExtractDJI instead of CsvView->CsvView
2017-10-14
Use props
Reevdog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77723 ft
United States

Bernoullis Posted at 2017-10-2 14:53
Have a closer look at this list of actions from the opening DJI post at the top of this thread - note the bit in item 3 that I jhave highlighted in bold:

"Operate the following steps to export the flight controller data with DataViewer:

I am using a mac and I am not seeing a button for the sd card dji
2017-10-25
Use props
fans0302c8e9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33438 ft
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-10-14 14:37
I'm guessing that the DJI Assistant created a file with a name something like DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-10-27 22-40-28].DAT. If so this contains the FLYnnn.DAT that you want. You can extract that FLYnnn.DAT by using an app called ExtractDJI which can be obtained by first installing CsvView from here http://www.datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html  The ExtractDJI app is bundled with CsvView. Go to the System menu and find CsvView entry and then select ExtractDJI. I.e. CsvView->ExtractDJI instead of CsvView->CsvView

DataViewer? Can't use it unless my Mavic Pro is connected and powered on. When it is connected, have the same problem as others with accessing FC's internal SD card.

2017-10-28
Use props
fans0302c8e9
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-10-14 14:37

Have had no luck in using CsvView under Windows 10. I've followed the directions for Java JRE 64 to no avail.
2017-10-28
Use props
BudWalker
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans0302c8e9 Posted at 2017-10-28 04:49
DataViewer? Can't use it unless my Mavic Pro is connected and powered on. When it is connected, have the same problem as others with accessing FC's internal SD card.

Not sure what you're asking here. But, the process for retrieving the .DAT has changed if you're on FW 03.0900 and above. It's not done by having access to the internal SD card. DJI certainly hasn't made it any easier. Look here

http://www.datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3Dat.html

for help on retrieving the .DAT
2017-10-28
Use props
BudWalker
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans0302c8e9 Posted at 2017-10-28 05:00
Have had no luck in using CsvView under Windows 10. I've followed the directions for Java JRE 64 to no avail.

If you want help you'll need to provide more information than "it doesn't work". For starters what version are you running? There is a file in your home directory named .csvViewLog. Can you send that to bug@flylog.info
2017-10-28
Use props
fans0302c8e9
lvl.2
United States

My current workflow is to extract .dat files using DJI Assistant 2 and the instructions in this thread for downloading the aggregated compressed log files onto your computer, then using Bud Walker's ExtractDJI.exe to seperate flights labeled FLY***. Unfortunately, this loses time and date metadata. One can also go through the Assistant file menu listing one by one,  which will produce separate files with date and time labels. I then use Bud's DatCon to convert .dat files to .csv files and event log files. Since I can't seem to use CsvView, I've found a super plotting app, DatPlot, which is very easy to use. See http://www.datplot.com/ and the attached screen shot.

The other task in my workflow is to convert .txt files into .csv files using TxtlogCsvTool by ferraript. See https://phantompilots.com/attachments/txtlogtocsvtool-zip.88726/ . Apparently this tool uses Bud's decrypting and decoding. Unfortunately, there is no explanation of the column labels, with some columns labeled "Custom" with no explanation of whether the data is derived or raw, and if so, what algorithm. Some are self explanatory, and then there is the coordination of this data with that extracted from the .dat files complicated by the time sampling frequency between the two data files. I find that sending .txt files to Mike Singer's Mavic upload to be much easier, then dowloading his .csv files which retain date and time metadata, which TxtlogCsvTool, doesn't. See http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

The  data fields that caught my eye are the App_GPS_lat, App_GPS_long, App_GPS_accuracy (number of decimal places?). I assume these locations are the result of the DJI Go 4 calling the mobile devices GPS interface for the device's location and recording that data during flight time. I was able to get Bud's cvsPlot - Geo Plot to produce the mobile device trajectory but only for .txt files, which is logical. This information is very important for those whose mobile device's GPS capability is questionalble.

Anyway that's my story! Much too complicated, IMHO. Oh, can't do Fast Fourier Transforms. Darn!

Mobile GPS

Mobile GPS

DatPlot

DatPlot
2017-10-28
Use props
fans0302c8e9
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-10-28 06:19
If you want help you'll need to provide more information than "it doesn't work". For starters what version are you running? There is a file in your home directory named .csvViewLog. Can you send that to

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... /page-7#post-308151

Resent log files, 1st sent Oct. 3rd & 4th. Also attempted a conversation.
2017-10-28
Use props
djiuser_larry
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70200 ft
United States

With DJI Assistant version 1.1.6 (Mac)
         Mavic firmware version 1.04.00

None of the recent DAT files retrieved with data upload appear to be real flight logs (most have 30MB or less file size). I have a few DAT files on the Mavic from last month that do appear to be full flights (these are mostly 300MB in size - maybe from the earlier firmware version??). Can I assume that the most recent firmware does not produce good flight logs? And/or that this latest DJI Assistant version still does not work for Mavic's?

I get txt flight log files stored on my tablet but these tend to be sporadic since the DJI GO app often disconnects. It's common not to see a log even from a more or less normal flight and even for the nominally good flight logs I'm not sure the numbers (altitude, distances) match what I see on the RC display.
2017-10-28
Use props
BudWalker
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_larry Posted at 2017-10-28 22:52
With DJI Assistant version 1.1.6 (Mac)
         Mavic firmware version 1.04.00

I've also experienced this. The most recent .DAT(s) don't show up. But, then after a few more flights the missing one(s) show up. In fact, it seems just by turning on the battery a few times just to create some "flights" will cause the missing .DAT(s) to appear.
2017-10-29
Use props
BudWalker
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans0302c8e9 Posted at 2017-10-28 07:21
My current workflow is to extract .dat files using DJI Assistant 2 and the instructions in this thread for downloading the aggregated compressed log files onto your computer, then using Bud Walker's ExtractDJI.exe to seperate flights labeled FLY***. Unfortunately, this loses time and date metadata. One can also go through the Assistant file menu listing one by one,  which will produce separate files with date and time labels. I then use Bud's DatCon to convert .dat files to .csv files and event log files. Since I can't seem to use CsvView, I've found a super plotting app, DatPlot, which is very easy to use. See http://www.datplot.com/ and the attached screen shot.   
  The other task in my workflow is to convert .txt files into .csv files using TxtlogCsvTool by ferraript. See https://phantompilots.com/attachments/txtlogtocsvtool-zip.88726/ . Apparently this tool uses Bud's decrypting and decoding. Unfortunately, there is no explanation of the column labels, with some columns labeled "Custom" with no explanation of whether the data is derived or raw, and if so, what algorithm. Some are self explanatory, and then there is the coordination of this data with that extracted from the .dat files complicated by the time sampling frequency between the two data files. I find that sending .txt files to Mike Singer's Mavic upload to be much easier, then dowloading his .csv files which retain date and time metadata, which TxtlogCsvTool, doesn't. See http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/  
  The  data fields that caught my eye are the App_GPS_lat, App_GPS_long, App_GPS_accuracy (number of decimal places?). I assume these locations are the result of the DJI Go 4 calling the mobile devices GPS interface for the device's location and recording that data during flight time. I was able to get Bud's cvsPlot - Geo Plot to produce the mobile device trajectory but only for .txt files, which is logical. This information is very important for those whose mobile device's GPS capability is questionalble.   

Good, I'm glad you were able to view your data by using a different app to visualize the .csv. Since it is a .csv there are lots of possibilities other than CsvView for viewing the data. In fact, DatCon was designed this way so that there would be lots of possibilities. I've not used WaveMetrics Igor Pro but I know it has a lot of nice features. It may even have the FFT you were looking for. Of course there is always MatLab which will have almost anything you could need or want. Finally, you can use the Excel plot package. I've used this a lot and still use it sometimes.

Apparently this tool uses Bud's decrypting and decoding.

This isn't quite correct. I didn't do the decoding which is the process that determines the column names. Same is true for the PhantomHelp .txt converter. For questions about the column names you'll need to ask the authors of those tools.
2017-10-29
Use props
fans0302c8e9
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-10-29 10:19
Good, I'm glad you were able to view your data by using a different app to visualize the .csv. Since it is a .csv there are lots of possibilities other than CsvView for viewing the data. In fact, DatCon was designed this way so that there would be lots of possibilities. I've not used WaveMetrics Igor Pro but I know it has a lot of nice features. It may even have the FFT you were looking for. Of course there is always MatLab which will have almost anything you could need or want. Finally, you can use the Excel plot package. I've used this a lot and still use it sometimes.

Apparently this tool uses Bud's decrypting and decoding.

I've communicated with ferraript on column definitions derived from DJI Go 4 txt files under iOS. He didn't have any information. If decoding was done by someone from DJI, perhaps they can shed some light. Just to press the issue, here's the list. Lots of mysterious qualifiers and custom data. It could use some clarification. For example, I assume any data under OSD is what appears on the Go 4 screen, but even there, lots of questions.
CUSTOM.updateTime
CUSTOM.isPhoto
CUSTOM.isVideo
CUSTOM.hSpeed [m/s]
CUSTOM.distance [m]
CUSTOM.travelled [m]
CUSTOM.hSpeed.running_max [m/s]
CUSTOM.distance.running_max [m]
CUSTOM.height.running_max [m]
OSD.latitude
OSD.longitude
OSD.height [m]
OSD.altitude [m]
OSD.xSpeed [m/s]
OSD.ySpeed [m/s]
OSD.zSpeed [m/s]
OSD.pitch
OSD.roll
OSD.yaw
OSD.flycState
OSD.flycState.RAW
OSD.flycCommand
OSD.flycCommand.RAW
OSD.canIOCWork
OSD.groundOrSky
OSD.isMotorUp
OSD.isSwaveWork
OSD.goHomeStatus
OSD.goHomeStatus.RAW
OSD.isImuPreheated
OSD.isVisionUsed
OSD.voltageWarning
OSD.modeChannel
OSD.isGPSused
OSD.compassError
OSD.waveError
OSD.gpsLevel
OSD.batteryType
OSD.isAcceletorOverRange
OSD.isVibrating
OSD.isBarometerDeadInAir
OSD.isMotorBlocked
OSD.isNotEnoughForce
OSD.isPropellerCatapult
OSD.isGoHomeHeightModified
OSD.isOutOfLimit
OSD.gpsNum
OSD.flightAction
OSD.flightAction.RAW
OSD.motorStartFailedCause
OSD.motorStartFailedCause.RAW
OSD.nonGPSCause
OSD.nonGPSCause.RAW
OSD.isQuickSpin
OSD.battery
OSD.sWaveHeight [m]
OSD.flyTime
OSD.motorRevolution
OSD.flycVersion
OSD.droneType
OSD.imuInitFailReason
OSD.imuInitFailReason.RAW
OSD.motorFailReason
OSD.motorFailReason.RAW
OSD.ctrlDevice
OSD.ctrlDevice.RAW
GIMBAL.pitch
GIMBAL.roll
GIMBAL.yaw
GIMBAL.mode
GIMBAL.mode.RAW
GIMBAL.rollAdjust
GIMBAL.pitchAdjust
GIMBAL.yawAngle
GIMBAL.isAutoCalibration
GIMBAL.autoCalibrationResult
GIMBAL.isPitchInLimit
GIMBAL.isRollInLimit
GIMBAL.isYawInLimit
GIMBAL.isTopPosition
GIMBAL.isStuck
GIMBAL.version
GIMBAL.isSingleClick
GIMBAL.isDoubleClick
GIMBAL.isTripleClick
GIMBAL.timeStamp
RC.aileron
RC.elevator
RC.throttle
RC.rudder
RC.gimbal
RC.goHome
RC.mode
RC.isWheelChanged
RC.wheelOffset
RC.wheelClick
RC.record
RC.shutter
RC.playback
RC.custom1
RC.custom2
RC.bandwidth
CENTER_BATTERY.relativeCapacity
CENTER_BATTERY.currentPV [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.currentCapacity [mAh]
CENTER_BATTERY.fullCapacity [mAh]
CENTER_BATTERY.life
CENTER_BATTERY.loopNum
CENTER_BATTERY.errorType
CENTER_BATTERY.current [A]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell1 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell2 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell3 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell4 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell5 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.voltageCell6 [V]
CENTER_BATTERY.serialNo
CENTER_BATTERY.productDate
CENTER_BATTERY.temperature [C]
CENTER_BATTERY.connStatus
CENTER_BATTERY.totalStudyCycle
CENTER_BATTERY.lastStudyCycle
CENTER_BATTERY.isNeedStudy
CENTER_BATTERY.isBatteryOnCharge
SMART_BATTERY.usefulTime
SMART_BATTERY.goHomeTime
SMART_BATTERY.landTime
SMART_BATTERY.goHomeBattery
SMART_BATTERY.landBattery
SMART_BATTERY.safeFlyRadius
SMART_BATTERY.volumeConsume
SMART_BATTERY.status
SMART_BATTERY.status.RAW
SMART_BATTERY.goHomeStatus
SMART_BATTERY.goHomeStatus.RAW
SMART_BATTERY.goHomeCountdown
SMART_BATTERY.voltage [V]
SMART_BATTERY.battery
SMART_BATTERY.lowWarning
SMART_BATTERY.lowWarningGoHome
SMART_BATTERY.seriousLowWarning
SMART_BATTERY.seriousLowWarning
Landing
SMART_BATTERY.voltagePercent
DEFORM.isDeformProtected
DEFORM.isExceptionState
DEFORM.deformStatus
DEFORM.deformStatus.RAW
DEFORM.deformMode
DEFORM.deformMode.RAW
RC_GPS.startupTime
RC_GPS.latitude
RC_GPS.longitude
RC_GPS.xSpeed [m/s]
RC_GPS.ySpeed [m/s]
RC_GPS.gpsNum
RC_GPS.accuracy
RC_GPS.gpsStatus
HOME.latitude
HOME.longitude
HOME.height [m]
HOME.isHomeRecord
HOME.goHomeMode
HOME.aircraftHeadDirection
HOME.isDynamicHomePointEnabled
HOME.isReachedLimitDistance
HOME.isReachedLimitHeight
HOME.isMultipleModeOpen
HOME.goHomeStatus
HOME.hasGoHome
HOME.compassCeleStatus
HOME.isCompassCeleing
HOME.isBeginnerMode
HOME.isIOCEnabled
HOME.iocMode
HOME.goHomeHeight [m]
HOME.courseLockAngle
HOME.dataRecorderStatus
HOME.dataRecorderRemainCapacity
HOME.dataRecorderRemainTime
HOME.dataRecorderFileIndex
HOME.isFlycInSimulationMode
HOME.isFlycInNavigationMode
HOME.isWingBroken
HOME.isBigGale
HOME.isBigGaleWarning
HOME.isCompassInstallErr
HOME.isFanCurrentInAbnormalState
HOME.paddleState
HOME.heightLimitStatus
HOME.useAbsoluteHeight
HOME.motor1EscmState
HOME.motor2EscmState
HOME.motor3EscmState
HOME.motor4EscmState
HOME.motor5EscmState
HOME.motor6EscmState
HOME.motor7EscmState
HOME.motor8EscmState
HOME.forceLandingHeight [m]
RECOVER.droneType
RECOVER.appType
RECOVER.appVersion
RECOVER.aircraftSnBytes
RECOVER.aircraftName
RECOVER.activeTimestamp
RECOVER.cameraSn
RECOVER.rcSn
RECOVER.batterySn
RECOVER.gimbalType
FIRMWARE.version
DETAILS.street
DETAILS.citypart
DETAILS.city
DETAILS.area
DETAILS.isFavorite
DETAILS.isNew
DETAILS.needUpload
DETAILS.recordLineCount
DETAILS.timestamp
DETAILS.latitude
DETAILS.longitude
DETAILS.totalDistance [m]
DETAILS.totalTime
DETAILS.maxHeight [m]
DETAILS.maxHorizontalSpeed [m/s]
DETAILS.maxVerticalSpeed [m/s]
DETAILS.photoNum
DETAILS.videoTime
DETAILS.takeOffAltitude [m]
DETAILS.droneType
DETAILS.activeTimestamp
DETAILS.aircraftName
DETAILS.aircraftSnBytes
DETAILS.cameraSn
DETAILS.rcSn
DETAILS.batterySn
DETAILS.appType
DETAILS.appVersion
APP_GPS.latitude
APP_GPS.longitude
APP_GPS.accuracy

2017-10-29
Use props
fansde083759
lvl.1

Vietnam

ị have a question: how to open data viewer without connecting dji a3 via cable?
2018-3-6
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

Is there a charge for the data analysis when sending your Spark in for service?
2018-4-11
Use props
Adam Krakowiak
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33812 ft
Poland

That's great piece of information !
Especially for newbie, like me.

Thanks !
2018-4-20
Use props
muqadaswattoo
lvl.1

Pakistan

"I'm guessing that the DJI Assistant created a file with a name something like DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE[2016-10-27 22-40-28].DAT. If so this contains the FLYnnn.DAT that you want. You can extract that FLYnnn.DAT by using an app called ExtractDJI which can be obtained by first installing CsvView from here http://www.datfile.net/DimbleCsvView/downloads.html  The ExtractDJI app is bundled with CsvView. Go to the System menu and find CsvView entry and then select ExtractDJI. I.e. CsvView->ExtractDJI instead of CsvView->CsvView"
Can't use it unless my Mavic Pro is connected and powered on.
2019-3-23
Use props
muqadaswattoo
lvl.1

Pakistan

fans0302c8e9 Posted at 2017-10-28 07:54
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/drone-did-not-rth.24518/page-7#post-308151

Resent log files, 1st sent Oct. 3rd & 4th. Also attempted a conversation.

There's some more info available.
2019-3-23
Use props
djiuser_dGlTJafmO7oV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14944 ft
Puerto Rico

I send my drone couple days ago to repair. Did not send the data analysis how would you know if the problem was mine or due to malfunction of the aircraft.
2019-4-22
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

I followed this procedure, but when I open a DAT file, the central viewer screen is just grey. I don't see any waveforms at all.
2019-6-16
Use props
fans20581d53
lvl.1

France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:12
Our engineers are working on developing this function for Mavic, please wait patiently, thank you.

Hi, sorry, I'm a newbie on this forum.Where's the quote button?
You, @DJI, wrote this: "DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:12
Our engineers are working on developing this function for Mavic, please wait patiently, thank you."
2 years later, the feature is still missing! What a pity!

2019-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft

fans20581d53 Posted at 8-29 10:13
Hi, sorry, I'm a newbie on this forum.Where's the quote button?
You, @DJI, wrote this: "DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 02:12
Our engineers are working on developing this function for Mavic, please wait patiently, thank you."

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused,  we will update once there is any progress.
2019-8-31
Use props
tw_stockman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16860 ft

Hello,

This is all great information but I'm wondering if there is a way to analyze the data stored inside the remote controller of the Mavic Air? Are button and joystick actions logged inside the remote controller?

Thanks!
2019-11-4
Use props
Timothy Douglas Moore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72034 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-11 01:55
This method is not available with Spark and Mavic at the moment, our engineers are working on developing, we don't have the time frame, you patience would be appreciated.

What about mavic air?
2020-3-18
Use props
LGstudio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332589 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I am trying to do this with my mavic 2 zoom but I am unable to get the .dat file.
The Assistant v2 for mavic does not have a "flight date" menu, not is a DJI FLY LOG drive present on windows.
I have an ESC error on the company drone someone crashed. Nobody told me when and how it happened. We are using a 3rd party application during flight to capture images. there are no flight logs in the dji go app, but there are logs visible through the assistant 2 -> log export from those dates. But I there is no application to open that dat fiel with. I am totally lost and the drone is grounded.
PLEASE HELP.
2020-4-9
Use props
Mavic Mad Max
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103871 ft
United States

I do not know, how to "Connect to a drone via the USB port on the drone" after my Mavic2 by itself fall of the sky without any warnings? At the moment There is no connection to Aircraft now or before fall. So, help me god to have straingth to deal with my drone’s suddent death!
2020-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules