Should I (you) update P3P software and controllers
1409 20 2017-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneLT
New

Lithuania

Hello, so I never updated the software, but Should i do it or not? At least I don't see new features come with these updates and what i see from forums only, that is random crashes after update and etc... I don't know, theres nothing new with these updates, no new features like Tap to fly, Visual tracking, everything is on new phantoms. So should I update it? What it brings? For now , drone flies without any problems, no crashes no random blackouts.

2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If you have a trouble free drone, updating it should be a painless and worry free situation.

It's usually best to be current, with your Go app and firmware version.  

Certainly some have rare issues, but those are the small minority of drone pilots.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
DroneLT
New

Lithuania

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-30 03:35
If you have a trouble free drone, updating it should be a painless and worry free situation.

It's usually best to be current, with your Go app and firmware version.  

But does it really worth upgrading? i mean they add NOTHING, so what's the point, my drone is problem-free, no bugs nothing, i mean if they added new features or smth, but its just blank and god knows what update brings to you and what's the point of it
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DroneLT Posted at 2017-9-30 04:42
But does it really worth upgrading? i mean they add NOTHING, so what's the point, my drone is problem-free, no bugs nothing, i mean if they added new features or smth, but its just blank and god knows what update brings to you and what's the point of it

Yes, I agree, there certainly needs to be full documentation.
Perhaps DJI will eventually open the files, for us, so we can be fully informed.

But for now, it's on a need to know basis.... Hahaha
Apparently, we don't matter enough, only our money is an important component...

Thankfully all other drone manufacturers are transparent enough and honest with us...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I wouldn't mess with anything.  If all is good, stick with the status quo  
2017-9-30
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-30 03:35
Certainly some have rare issues, but those are the small minority of drone pilots.

In other words.... "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

If you have any problems, it's not going to make you feel any better that you're in the "small minority", is it.  No, in fact it's just going to pïss you off even more.
2017-9-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

LOL @ "Clint"
2017-9-30
Use props
Spacetrakker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

After reading so many reports of issues after upgrading, why would you even ask this question if your bird flies without issues?
However, if you want the excitement of not knowing whether your drone will ever perform again like it has up to now....then go for it and try to fix what is not broken !

Most updates appear to offer no new features or benefits....Just more restrictions and "big brother" enforced limitations on our flying experiences.

My thoughts only....My P3A firmware is exactly as delivered over 12 months ago and is fully funtional. DJI GO software has been updated as it was mandatory.

Cheers
2017-9-30
Use props
BeanBlossomFly
lvl.1
United States

Cant get my drone to see the sd card anymore.
2017-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-9-30 15:08
In other words.... "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

If you have any problems, it's not going to make you feel any better that you're in the "small minority", is it.  No, in fact it's just going to pïss you off even more.

Yes, sans the punky attitude. Hahaha
Sorry, you are correct, being one of the unlucky participants in this world wide affair has got to sting some. It would bite my arse if it were me, for sure no doubt about it. Thankfully you have hundreds of willing forum friends who are here to help with the many concerns and issues, and try to get an easy if possible fix figured out, getting you back in the air flying safe.

No one is here to shoot you, or even steer you wrong.  I understand how frustrating this can be, especially concerning the thought , of having to "send it in" for evaluation, and to give you an "estimate" for repair, even though you may get another's, 'refurbished' unit in the post. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-1
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always updated when needed - never had any issues - just new features and various improvements along the way.
2017-10-1
Use props
BeanBlossomFly
lvl.1
United States

Found some info on problems with formatting a search card on a Mac vs pc. The drone does not see the card. Going to download firmware again on a pc. Also going to check my gimbal cable. I have an error message saying no comm link and an error from the gimbal setup
2017-10-1
Use props
fans039c0494
New
United States

Help,,, I downloaded , as required, new firmware as now my controller will not turn on. Not sure if the two are related. Thoughts/suggestions on when controller won't turn o.. (Yes the battery is charged) the indicator lights do not come on
2017-10-1
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

What a good time to post on this thread lol.  Was everything working before you tried to update?
2017-10-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

My P3P is exactly where it was shortly after I bought it in late 2015. I updated it once, then never did it again. I also shut down auto updates on my iPad Air 2 of the Go App. My P3P now has no connection to the outside world and it flies perfectly every time. I never got the GEO update, so I can fly whereever I want.
2017-10-1
Use props
Spacetrakker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-1 16:41
My P3P is exactly where it was shortly after I bought it in late 2015. I updated it once, then never did it again. I also shut down auto updates on my iPad Air 2 of the Go App. My P3P now has no connection to the outside world and it flies perfectly every time. I never got the GEO update, so I can fly whereever I want.

Gotta agree 100%......The only way to fly !!
2017-10-1
Use props
BeanBlossomFly
lvl.1
United States

So I get an error message now and can’t fly. Lost its gimbal link. I installed new software with The dot been file that has been extracted from the download and I have left it run for 20 minutes or more I see the proper files on my camera card in the drone I was able to do a hard reboot and get the controller to link back to the drone and now I have another error message relating to the ESC or IMU. The drone has been completely disassembled and cables replaced by me and it will not calibrate the compass and Simply won’t fly what am I missing
2017-10-4
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

always update,no problems.but its up to the individual.
2017-10-4
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

BeanBlossomFly Posted at 2017-10-4 16:03
So I get an error message now and can’t fly. Lost its gimbal link. I installed new software with The dot been file that has been extracted from the download and I have left it run for 20 minutes or more I see the proper files on my camera card in the drone I was able to do a hard reboot and get the controller to link back to the drone and now I have another error message relating to the ESC or IMU. The drone has been completely disassembled and cables replaced by me and it will not calibrate the compass and Simply won’t fly what am I missing

bean did you try relink rc to drone?
2017-10-4
Use props
BeanBlossomFly
lvl.1
United States

Yes. I relinked to droneAnd everything looks normal except when I go to take off and then the ESC message appears
2017-10-6
Use props
fans9de82ee2
New
United States

I am having a little difficulty understanding the post upgrade scenario relating tologged in.  I have Beginner Mode limits with Beginner Mode off.  Altitude and distance are limited.  Does this mrean i need to be coonnected t6o a WiFi through tbe DJI GO app in order to fly?
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules