RC wifi not visible after connecting to Spark
3639 16 2017-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1198 ft
Serbia

I got brand new Spark yesterdat and problems out of box. Started app which prompted firmware update. Did all firmware updates with the app without issues. App recognized location and reseted wifi to local rules. Now tricky part. When I connect Spark with phone directly, I have live view and I can fly with phone. When I connect RC with Spark and when RC light becomes green, RC wifi network shutsdown. While light on RC is red, I see RC wifi. Chatted with DJI support almost 3 hours and even did firmware refresh with Assistant 2 and still the same. RC firmware 0.400. Spark is latest. All latest firmware.

Videos for the refference:

For DJI support:
Case CAS-1053965-G5F4M7

2017-9-30
Use props
Tom39
lvl.1
United States

I too tried to use a Samsung S7, as I have always been an android user. In short, I found that the Spark does not play well with Samsung devices. There are others who have had success with android but for me it wasn't worth the effort. I realize that this is not what you are wanting to hear but my advice would be to pick up a used Apple device and save yourself some aggravation.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

On the video I have recorded Samsung devices but I also tried few more androids on 5 6 7 (6 total) and does not work at all. I also have friend who has same issue but was lazy to bother with returns. DJI via FB told me to reset RC by holding power button for 9 seconds, but same thing. Good thing is that after that reset, I was able to use OTG and do test flight for 7 8 mins.

Not sure if re-flashing RC firmware only would do a trick.
2017-9-30
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see some unusual behavior in the video.  Obviously what you are reporting is the first unusual behavior.  I also see that the app after the RC and spark make the connection, and I also see that when you start the app again you are prompted with the "do you agree" splash dialog.

To me this appears to be an android issue (I own an S7 Edge), in that the dji go 4 app is not storing/remembering anything about its past operations (you should not be prompted again with the "agree" page, at least I don't get that).

On a whim here, can you install and re-install the app?  And/or reset the phone.

Also, one other thing to test:  Outside, in a safe environment, are you able to fly the spark?  My preference is to never fly without the app, but it is possible to do.  Don't fly out of sight, just confirm that you can raise and control the craft, and bring it back down.  I've had instances where my phone and app crashed (or the app was disconnected) but the RC still had control of the spark.  What this test will tell us is that there is no "problem" between spark and remote.  That leaves either the problem being between the remote and the phone or just in the phone.  I suspect it's in the phone based on the video.

You mention that a friend had the same problem (with his?).  Can your friend try with his device to your spark+rc?  If that test fails, then that's an indicator that the issue isn't with the phone and isn't between the phone and RC, it would point to the RC.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

To be clear, I did not logged in, in the S7 edge. It was just an example that RC wifi drops on different devices as well. But I also tested on Mi Max 2.

I will definitely reinstall app and try again.

When it comes to flying, I can fly:

- with phone directly connected to Spark
- with RC but via OTG cable

I also need to try with iPhone or iPad. If with those does not work neither, then I would say that RC is the problem.
2017-9-30
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_1lu4ehy Posted at 2017-9-30 05:36
To be clear, I did not logged in, in the S7 edge. It was just an example that RC wifi drops on different devices as well. But I also tested on Mi Max 2.

I will definitely reinstall app and try again.

Yes, if multiple devices manifest the same issue, that's a strong indicator of the RC been the root component of the issue.  I thought of some other diagnostic steps, but they get deeper into the weeds.  For now trying with multiple devices is the best/easiest test to try.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

Tech speaking, Spark RC wifi should be visible either way to all the phones/devices around, even if they don't have app installed, right?
2017-9-30
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Just my2cent: you found the one and only option to a different phone already:
The OTG Connection.
For me it is THE connection to my phone and to my tablet.
I dont even think about using wifi.
In special in CE area it may be the only way, to have the Soark autochange from 5.8 to 2.4, in case the 5.8 connection is lost.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

I know, but still. What will happen if one day DJI decides to fully shutdown OTG option?

Spark in Europe costs around 820 euros ($970) so for that money I expected that DJI QA is good, but obviously it is not. If wifi does not works with Apple devices, I will return Spark, go get it fixed under warranty.

I like the aircraft, but cannot accept such issue on brand new device.

I also may not use wifi, but everything should work.
2017-9-30
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

After digging into forum threads I realized that this might be a problem for all users in Europe. Problem starts with first reset of wifi settings when Spark detects different region.

Is there any way to reset Spark fully to factory settings, so that message appears again?
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_1lu4ehy Posted at 2017-9-30 07:23
After digging into forum threads I realized that this might be a problem for all users in Europe. Problem starts with first reset of wifi settings when Spark detects different region.

Is there any way to reset Spark fully to factory settings, so that message appears again?

Just to verify, does the issue remains when you switched to IOS devices? If not, please try to switch the WiFi to 2.4Ghz and check again.
2017-10-3
Use props
djiuser_1lu4ehy
lvl.1
Serbia

I have tried Iphone and it works fine.

I have no idea how DJI in Europe claims that this Drone works with android devices when out of around 100 android devices tested in major retailer in Europe (Mediamarkt), only 2 android devices were able to see RC wifi after connecting to Spark.

Without OTG, in Europe cannot be used on Android phones. Officialy, DJI not support of OTG use, unofficialy, DJI says that is the only way to use with Android in Europe.
Channels that DJI set to be used for RC wifi after connected to Spark, is illegal in Europe. Fact that iOS has is enabled by default, does not means anything..
2017-10-6
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I believe this problem occurs with android anywhere not only Europe.

It is the controller's issue.
2017-10-6
Use props
brezilla
lvl.1
Serbia

As I understood. Problem is 5.8G wifi. Most of the android devices that comes to Europe does not work on the channels that Spark/RC uses, because they are forbidden to be used, and manufacturers for EU market are not making them visible. Apple has mostly same devices for all markets, so no issue with Apple.

Went also to DJI store and tested their model which they use to show customers and asked seller that has android to try to connect to showcase model and mine. Android could not see any of 2 RC. He was shocked.
2017-10-6
Use props
brezilla
lvl.1
Serbia

Can DJI responds here? You guys did not responded on case for 10+ days.
2017-10-11
Use props
fans9d55ddaf
New
South Africa

Please respond. This is annoying.
2018-4-14
Use props
CB01
lvl.1
Zimbabwe

I have also had this problem. I bought the Spark in Dubai and used it fine. When I took it to Zimbabwe I had to reset theWiFi and that worked once. Since then I can only use it with IOS. DJI support say they cannot support while I am in Zimbabwe so I must wait three months to return to where I purchased the unit before they will support. Then they say return the unit. This simply means that I will receive a replacement and then I will never know if I take a Spark with me that it will work when I get there. I have a S7 Edge which I use for the Dual SIM function as I travel so much.

DJI will not resolve this issue as far as I have experienced. If anyone else has a solution I would be interested.
2018-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules