RIP little spark
2950 28 2017-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pez942
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166512 ft
United Kingdom

So a few days ago it finally happened. I crashed my spark. I was devastated when I saw it laying there with one of its arms only half attached. I can only blame myself. I had just brought it in to land and it was hovering right in front of me. I checked my remaining battery which said 37%. So instead of landing it and using one of the two remaining batteries, I decided to rush that ‘one last shot’ out of it. So sent it off forgetting it was in sports mode thought I could rectify it then panicked. Took my fingers off the sticks but the momentum of the sport mode speed cause it to collid with an object with a sound I can still hear in my nightmares.

The poor little thing is currently in Belgium awaiting it’s final part of its journey back to Holland under the DJI care refresh. I already miss it so much. I just wanted it to be a reminder to everyone to never rush anything. There is always another battery or another time to get the shot. I had over 10 hrs and 109 flights with the spark and still it was pilot error that let me down. Trust your instincts and don’t go chasing that ‘one last shot’. Take care of those sparks guys and hopefully I’ll be back up in the air again soon.

7407939A-7582-43EA-94C5-ED63FACB8AD4.jpeg
2017-9-30
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great advice and hope you get your replacement soon. Must say how refreshing it is to see someone be honest and take responsibility for a crash rather than blaming the drone!
2017-9-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

May the Phoenix rise from the ashes.

Good luck.
2017-9-30
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-9-30 12:15
Great advice and hope you get your replacement soon. Must say how refreshing it is to see someone be honest and take responsibility for a crash rather than blaming the drone!

This a thousand times... this drone gets blamed far too often by fragile egos.  Kudos for being a man and admitting your mistake.  
2017-9-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Sorr to hear of the crash.  Hope you get your new one soon
2017-9-30
Use props
Tom39
lvl.1
United States

Poor little guy, I feel a little sad for him with his busted up face and broken arm.
2017-9-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you very much indeed for your honest post! You have my entire sympathy regarding your tragic loss!
2017-9-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
Czechia

At least you’ll be back in the air again! A lesson for all of us.
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

That's unfortunate to hear, I sympathize with your crash.
Hope you will get the replacement soon with dji care refresh, if you need any help during the process, please feel free to contact us at any time, we'd love to help.
2017-10-1
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks very much guys. My wife was moaning that I was more emotional at losing my spark than over her, haha.

I just wanted to remind us all that we aren’t invincible up in the air and the spark is an amazing bit of kit and just to take care.

Hopefully DJI will do a quick turn around and i’ll Be posting a happy looking spark next time.
2017-10-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sorry for your loss and hope you get one back soon!
Thanks for reminding us!
2017-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

shame about the crash!  thats crazy amount of damage.   all i can say is practice practice practice when you get your replacement under refresh.  ..  the panicking is what catches anyone and everyone and causes the mistakes and crashes, hopefully with enough practice you will learn how to not panick and correct on the fly!  

2017-10-1
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Any mods able to give me any sort of update on this case CAS-1049687-F3V5T4

UPS say it was delivered to the Dji repair centre in Holland Tuesday morning, but the status of the case on the DJI repair website still says that it is awaiting my spark. Having never dealt with DJI support before I didn’t know if this was normal. It’s just it seems a pretty straight forward case in that my spark is wrecked. I have said it was an accident due to pilot error and I have DJI care refresh. I thought 3 days would be enough time to at least acknowledge receipt of it by now.
2017-10-5
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for your honest post and sharing your lesson. I need to stop doing ʻone last shotsʻ myself. Hope your new one gets back soon.
2017-10-5
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
United Kingdom

She is back or should I say ‘refreshed’. Just over 2 weeks since the crash. She has traveled to dji in Holland from the Uk and back again. Around a 10 day turn around from dji, which seems pretty good from some of the stories i’ve heard. So thank you dji. Feels good to have it back.

0A8183EF-654F-415B-86A9-5230303F22EE.jpeg

Anyone know how you go about transferring my current refresh to my new spark? As it’s asking me if I want to buy dji refresh within 48 hrs but I already have it.
2017-10-13
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Pez942 Posted at 2017-10-13 05:26
She is back or should I say ‘refreshed’. Just over 2 weeks since the crash. She has traveled to dji in Holland from the Uk and back again. Around a 10 day turn around from dji, which seems pretty good from some of the stories i’ve heard. So thank you dji. Feels good to have it back.

[view_image]

I think that the app offering you to sell you another DJI Refresh plan on a replacement that was provided under DJI Refresh is a bug. It happened for me too and I just ignored it. You always have the "paper trail" to show.

Glad to hear that you got it back and that the Refresh Care worked well for you too (as it did for me).
2017-10-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

[view_image]

congrats on the replacement.  Glad to hear your experience was a great one.  DJI does work hard at servicing their customers.

Enjoy your new spark
2017-10-13
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

This was a really great post - as other people have noted, you took responsibility for the crash, shared your insights and wisdom and, finally, a positive post about DJI and their handling of your replacement Spark.

Thank You!
2017-10-13
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks guys. Just really pleased to have her back and looking forward to hopefully getting some nice weather this weekend in the uk to get her back in the air again.
2017-10-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

you should post your positive experience

https://forum.dji.com/thread-113595-1-1.html
2017-10-13
Use props
dozerTheOgre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78563 ft
United States

Thank you for the reminder. Safety is no accident...
2017-10-13
Use props
doZer the ogre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78563 ft
United States

Tom39 Posted at 2017-9-30 13:53
Poor little guy, I feel a little sad for him with his busted up face and broken arm.

That's just too cute!!!

anthropomorphize much?!

2017-10-19
Use props
Javey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Glad you got her back
2017-10-19
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

Glad you got her back , mine crashed and tore open the same way., like looking at a mirror of the damage done to my little spark.

Bit of a weakness here due to the coloured lid on the top of the spark providing no strength to the plastic mid-body.
2017-10-19
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

[view_image]

Sincere congratulations and many happy landings in the future!
2017-10-19
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Glad tp hear a positive story and good luck with your future flights
2017-10-19
Use props
Pez942
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the positive comments. Just need the weather to improve in the UK at the moment to get out flying again. Very grey and wet at the moment.
2017-10-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad everything worked out.
2017-10-20
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Very good advice! Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, by now you've received your spark back from DJI. Just recently purchased a Spark and one thing besides many that stands out about the spark, is it's speed while on Sports Mode. I will take this advice and learn from your encounter.
2017-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules