Best camera settings
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7c6094f6
New
Flight distance : 1903 ft
United States

Hey guys, brand new on here, although I have been flying my P4 for almost a year now. I have tried to get the best camera setting that works best and just can’t seem to find it. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Scott
2017-9-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If there was just one setting that is "best", that would be the only setting.
You have a rqange of possible settings to be able to deal with a range of subjects and lighting conditions.
2017-9-30
Use props
fans7c6094f6
New
United States

Yes, I have photos and videos that seem too bright right now. Which setting brings the tone down so it looks warmer?
2017-9-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Too many variables to say what's best in any setting.  Keep experimenting.
2017-9-30
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans7c6094f6 Posted at 2017-9-30 17:00
Yes, I have photos and videos that seem too bright right now. Which setting brings the tone down so it looks warmer?

Photos are probably overexposed. Might want to adjust the white balance settings, play around with the settings until it works for your taste. You can also use ND filters to lower the brightness. Good luck !
2017-9-30
Use props
fans7c6094f6
New
United States

Thanks guys. I was trying to post one of the pictures I took, but can’t figure it out. I’ll play around  with it tomorrow and see what happens.
2017-9-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

If you have consistently overexposed images, look at the camera data line on your app screen and check the EV value.
If you have accidentally set the camera to overexpose, it will show something like EV+0.7 or EV+1.0
You want to dial that back to EV0 to fix the overexposure problem.
2017-9-30
Use props
fans72a4b666
New
Malaysia

Hi guys, have you experienced any issue on ghostly horizontal line video footage?.. Seems that a horizontal shadowy line appears on my footages..it moves in slipt second to the bottom of the footage at every 2 second.
I’m using P4P
2017-9-30
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

There are many YouTube videos that go step by step on how to program the advanced settings on your camera.
2017-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-30 17:30
Photos are probably overexposed. Might want to adjust the white balance settings, play around with the settings until it works for your taste. You can also use ND filters to lower the brightness. Good luck !

If his images are overexposed, White balance won't fix that.
White Balance is about adjusting things to deal with light sources with different colour temperatures.
It makes white look white.
2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-1 13:37
If his images are overexposed, White balance won't fix that.
White Balance is about adjusting things to deal with light sources with different colour temperatures.
It makes white look white.

I use several settings including 'overexpose warning' the one you'd mentioned too and one can also use white balance/custom.

2017-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-1 14:02
I use several settings including 'overexpose warning' the one you'd mentioned too and one can also use white balance/custom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmWqfJCwbfI&spfreload=10

You use White Balance to correct colours - not exposure.
If your green grass looks very yellow - you need to adjust white balance.
If your image is over exposed you need to adjust the exposure.
2017-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Your description is very confusing you say your photos are too bright and you want them warmer??
Are the pics overexposed or are they looking too blue?
How about posting an example so we might be able to work out what you mean.
2017-10-1
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-1 14:09
You use White Balance to correct colours - not exposure.
If your green grass looks very yellow - you need to adjust white balance.
If your image is over exposed you need to adjust the exposure.

"'overexpose warning'

I use this on the App which helps me with providing me a warning about an overexposed shot. Very helpful. Have you tried it?
2017-10-1
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

If you can control your aperture settings, try f8 - when taking photos.  It gives a nice in between depth of field range.

I use f8 mostly when taking ground based photos, and I get decent aerial pics with my p4p using aperture priority at f8.
2017-10-1
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Always start off with resetting camera settings and consider ND filters when the sun is very bright out. The filters will help you get better photos.
2017-10-2
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Personaly I shoot everything in Auto and for me I use 720p 60FPS ,With these settings I never have any problems with quality.
2017-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-1 22:56
If you can control your aperture settings, try f8 - when taking photos.  It gives a nice in between depth of field range.

I use f8 mostly when taking ground based photos, and I get decent aerial pics with my p4p using aperture priority at f8.

Even at full open, the P4 pro lens has all the depth of field you will ever want.
2017-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-2 09:55
Always start off with resetting camera settings and consider ND filters when the sun is very bright out. The filters will help you get better photos.

While ND filters have a use in video, they are pretty well useless for shooting aerial stills.
They won't help get better photos.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans7c6094f6
New
United States

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful comments. I am still trying to post a picture, but still can’t figure out how to. I haven’t had time to play around with some of y’alls suggestions yet, but will try soon. I have been ask to shoot some stills and video for our school here on next Monday and I want to show them the best I got.
2017-10-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can also read the following to give you an idea of what does what in relation to shutter speeds and aperture settings - This is for a normal camera so remember it's a drone camera - https://improvephotography.com/p ... tter-speed-and-iso/
2017-10-20
Use props
foggyhub
New

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-1 14:13
Your description is very confusing you say your photos are too bright and you want them warmer??
Are the pics overexposed or are they looking too blue?
How about posting an example so we might be able to work out what you mean.

I just recently bought a DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter drone,  I think it images quality is little bright,

The blog helped me to buy drone https://www.webbywebb.com/drone-buying-guide-2018/  
2018-4-13
Use props
somefishcanfly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 82156 ft

save your photos as raw instead of jpg and afther use lightroom to corect the image
2018-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules