iPad (only) tips, hints & helps
896 11 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Since the iPad is running different version of the OS then the Android folks, our issues maybe different then theirs, so I suggest we do our posting in one place. (Here) I usually read the other threads, but half the time their issues are not our issues and since our OS and usually GO4 versions and different then theirs, our suggestions won't help them nor theirs, us.

So I would like to start this thread for iPads. Also, when we post, it would be helpful to know what model iPad you are using, what cables, what versions of the: iOS, GO4 app, and MP firmware you are running etc, since different issue that occure may be a result of mismatched versions.

So...to start...
I have an iPad Mini 4 w/matte finish screen protector
iOS Current version (11.0.1)
GO4 Current version (4.1.12)
FV Current version (4.1.0000)
UAV Forecast app
DJI hood when need/but rarely use.
Mavic Pro

As of todate, (knock on wood) I have had no problems with my setup. But when I do, I will foresure reach out to all of you for suggestions. I usually update to all current versions of software with in a couple days of release. I usually fly in the evening or morning when the light is softer and the wind is calmer. I usually fly around my home, where there are tall trees and dense woods. Some of the videos are posted on Skypixel under "locomanjak".
Jim (locoman)
2017-10-1
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I have the same setup as you, I never had any issues. One thing i noticed is I used to put the iPad in the controller brackets so the volume buttons  stay at the botton, this way I had better access to them. But in this configuration the magnet side of the iPad (which you attach the smart cover) was causing interference, and I was experiencing a few lags and freezes on the video feed.
2017-10-1
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

I have the same setup as you, I never had any issues.
One thing i noticed is that I used to put the iPad in the controller brackets so the volume buttons  stayed at the botton. But in this configuration the magnet side of the iPad (which we attach the smart cover) was causing interference, and I was experiencing a few lags and freezes on the video feed.Once I inverted this setup (volume buttons on top) the problem stopped.
2017-10-1
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

Thanks ro_flyer, I forgot abut the magnets.

For those of you that haven't seen the post on MavicPilots Forum, it is some good info: The thread is titled "ipad mini magnet"
2017-10-2
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Brazil

Locoman Posted at 2017-10-2 02:49
Thanks ro_flyer, I forgot abut the magnets.

For those of you that haven't seen the post on MavicPilots Forum, it is some good info: The thread is titled "ipad mini magnet"

Other important thing is to avoid overheating the iPad, beacause this can dim the display and it becomes almost impossible to see the screen in daylight. In extreme situations the system can shutdown the iPad, and it won't be possible to turn it on again until it gets cooler...

There is a thread about this:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 23&page=1#pid981473
2017-10-2
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

Well I flew a little this afternoon, tried my Mini 4 both directions, home button on left and on right and did not notice and difference in operation due to magnets along the edge of the iPad. But think I will leave the iPad mounted with the HB on the right.

Also had a little bit of "flutter" when stopping and hovering. Moving up/down/left/right just a little, like it was trying to stay on point. There was little or not wind. Good GPS numbers. But flying under dense tree canopy, with wet leaves.

Will try again in a day or so when it quits raining here.
2017-10-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Locoman Posted at 2017-10-2 14:10
Well I flew a little this afternoon, tried my Mini 4 both directions, home button on left and on right and did not notice and difference in operation due to magnets along the edge of the iPad. But think I will leave the iPad mounted with the HB on the right.

Also had a little bit of "flutter" when stopping and hovering. Moving up/down/left/right just a little, like it was trying to stay on point. There was little or not wind. Good GPS numbers. But flying under dense tree canopy, with wet leaves.

iPad Pro 10.5"
iOS v11.0.1
DJI Go 4 v 4.1.12
Mavic Pro firmware v4.1.0000
MavMount 2 mounting system for the iPad Pro
Anker 1ft USB cable (works fine with USB cable which came with the iPad)

I've had no real problems at all with this set up, with the exception of the screen dimming for short periods (seconds) randomly, which at this point in time I cannot confirm is due to over heating problems. Still far, it's been a pretty solid performer. Using Google's Gboard keyboard introduces some minor incompatibilities with the app ("Done" and hide keyboard buttons not always available). The app has not crashed once.
2017-10-2
Use props
hawker 748
New
United States

attaching controller on narrow end of ipad the display needs to be rotated so menu bar goes across to to and not down the side  any help how to rotate
2017-10-2
Use props
hawker 748
New
United States

attaching controller on narrow end of ipad the display needs to be rotated so menu bar goes across to to and not down the side  any help how to rotate
2017-10-2
Use props
Scott Ferguson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1425223 ft
United States

IPad Pro 9.7 all latest app and firmware,original apple cable and usually set up on table on my back deck and fly that way. To date I have not had any malfunctions
2017-10-2
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just be aware that wifi versions do NOT have the GPS chips and the CELL versions do.
This is only important if you decide to change RTH position mid flight or if you want to do GPS 'follow me' (I think DJI is phasing this out and favouring active track).

2017-10-2
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
United States

hawker 748 Posted at 2017-10-2 15:28

I don't thing you can rotate the screen in GO4. It has something to do how the app is written to allow screen rotation. Probably because it looks like it is designed for horizontal format
2017-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules