Annoying screen brightness changes
4403 13 2017-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jyunte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

I've turned off auto brightness control on my 10.5" iPad Pro, and I've turned off True Tone, but whenever DJI Go is running, the screen changes brightness depending on what the camera is showing and whether I'm facing the light, or have my back to the light. It's really annoying since the display can, at one moment, be clear as day to see, then much darker (since I manually set it to maximum brightness when flying in daylight). I don't have many apps installed on this iPad, as it's primarily used for flying my Mavic Pro, but the DJI Go app seems to be overriding the brightness setting (it's also set to full brightness in the DJI Go app).

I'm running the latest firmware, the latest DJI Go app, and the latest iOS (11.0.1). What can be done to fix this? DJI, any comments?
2017-10-1
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Does your video play back similarly?  I suspect you are seeing the automatic exposure of the camera, not the auto-brightness of the iPad.  Nice iPad by the way.  Bought one for my wife to replace her computer.
2017-10-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i cant say i have experienced this directly but maybe the reflection from the screen is hitting the two light sensors (ambient light sensor and color sensor) causing it to freak out?  but then again you said you turned them off...  so i'm at a loss..

my GF has iPad pro 9.7 and it does not do this so im wondering what is triggering your 10.5 variant (apple really needs to just pick a standard)
2017-10-1
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

This happens to me also, and is related to the iPad overheating hardware. It dims  the screen backlight to avoid overheating... This is largely discussed in apple foruns:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6915088?start=0&tstart=0

Seemingly this is a  "normal" system protection and unfortunatelly can't be over overrided... But you may avoid this, keeping your iPad in air conditioning before flights, and if possible pilot in a shaded area. Also, you can disable video and audio cache in the app, and turn on iPad airplane mode.
2017-10-1
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-1 16:04
Does your video play back similarly?  I suspect you are seeing the automatic exposure of the camera, not the auto-brightness of the iPad.  Nice iPad by the way.  Bought one for my wife to replace her computer.

It's not the exposure... I shoot manual exposure... Video playback is normal, with no brightening  or darkening of the display.
2017-10-1
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-1 17:22
This happens to me also, and is related to the iPad overheating hardware. It dims  the screen backlight to avoid overheating... This is largely discussed in apple foruns:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6915088?start=0&tstart=0

Seemingly this is a  "normal" system protection and unfortunatelly can't be over overrided... But you may avoid this, keeping your iPad in air conditioning before flights, and if possible pilot in a shaded area. Also, you can disable video and audio cache in the app, and turn on iPad airplane mode.

I'll check the link you listed. I'll also check out if turning off the cache helps. But I don't want to put it in airplane mode, since I want the maps. As for using A/C to cool the iPad, it is actually used for navigation in my car and held in front of the A/C vents while driving! I've had the iPad thermally shut down once, but it was 93-degrees Fahrenheit in the shade and I was piloting from a place in direct sun. While I'm flying, it does not normally seem to get particularly hot, except that one time (at Band Camp).
2017-10-1
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-1 17:22

Oh, I should add, this is not darkening the display for minutes at a time, it's going darker, then back to full brightness within a few seconds... Exactly as it would if automatic brightness control were turned on and you point the iPad toward and away from a bright light source.
2017-10-1
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-1 19:25
I'll check the link you listed. I'll also check out if turning off the cache helps. But I don't want to put it in airplane mode, since I want the maps. As for using A/C to cool the iPad, it is actually used for navigation in my car and held in front of the A/C vents while driving! I've had the iPad thermally shut down once, but it was 93-degrees Fahrenheit in the shade and I was piloting from a place in direct sun. While I'm flying, it does not normally seem to get particularly hot, except that one time (at Band Camp).

You don't need to keep celular (or wi-f)i on to bring the maps on the app. All you need is to open the app and once your maps are loaded, you can turn on airplane mode. This is the best way to avoid annoying notifications, signal interferences and saving data processing (and avoiding overheating) on your iPad.
2017-10-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-1 19:29
Oh, I should add, this is not darkening the display for minutes at a time, it's going darker, then back to full brightness within a few seconds... Exactly as it would if automatic brightness control were turned on and you point the iPad toward and away from a bright light source.

I guess you could cover the sensors with some electricians tape or something to see if that's the problem.
2017-10-2
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-2 08:27
You don't need to keep celular (or wi-f)i on to bring the maps on the app. All you need is to open the app and once your maps are loaded, you can turn on airplane mode. This is the best way to avoid annoying notifications, signal interferences and saving data processing (and avoiding overheating) on your iPad.

Good point. For some reason, I was thinking that I wouldn't have access to maps...but of course I would, if I use airplane mode after firing up DJI Go!
2017-10-2
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-10-2 10:01
I guess you could cover the sensors with some electricians tape or something to see if that's the problem.

I can certainly try that, but I think it's the app itself which is changing the brightness, not iOS via it's sensors. More investigation is required.
2017-10-2
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-2 13:32
I can certainly try that, but I think it's the app itself which is changing the brightness, not iOS via it's sensors. More investigation is required.

If you disabled automatic brightness that's "NOT"the cause of the problem
2017-10-2
Use props
Jyunte
lvl.4
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-2 15:44
If you disabled automatic brightness that'sthe cause of he problem

Not sure what you mean. The iPad is not getting hot, so it's unlikely thermal shutdown. The ambient light sensors are disabled, so iOS should not be dimming the screen. The camera is in manual mode, so I'm not seeing changes in exposure. That leaves the DJI Go app.
2017-10-2
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-2 16:18
Not sure what you mean. The iPad is not getting hot, so it's unlikely thermal shutdown. The ambient light sensors are disabled, so iOS should not be dimming the screen. The camera is in manual mode, so I'm not seeing changes in exposure. That leaves the DJI Go app.

Sorry I typed "on the go" and forgot the word NOT.... :-(    I edited my previous post so now it can make sense....
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules