Drifting
1058 9 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
agonzarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84993 ft
United States

Does anyone notice drifting when trying to maintain a straight course?  I'm finding when I do video and I'm trying to maneuver straight ahead its very difficult to keep the AC on a straight course, is this a normal finding?  Any recommendations on a fix or tips or tricks to maintain a better course while recording?
2017-10-2
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No, this is not normal. I'd suggest doing an IMU and RC stick calibration and ensure that your compass has no issues too. If this doesn't work then refresh your firmware in DJI Assistant 2 and if all of this still makes not difference then you may have a hardware fault with your Spark and will need to return it. Try flying at other locations too before shipping it back and make sure you have a strong GPS connection with the homepoint set on the map before take off.
2017-10-2
Use props
Lextronix
lvl.1
Flight distance : 241056 ft
United States

I have the same issue and refreshing the firmware did not alleviate the issue. I will be trying the other recommended recalibrations too.
2017-10-2
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lextronix Posted at 2017-10-2 12:39
I have the same issue and refreshing the firmware did not alleviate the issue. I will be trying the other recommended recalibrations too.

Hope they work - it is usually the fix for drifting - also, make sure the wind speeds are under 10MPH when you fly by checking the weather forecast etc. - strong winds can overpower the small motors and cause slight drift issues as can low light conditions or very bright conditions with the obstacle avoidance engaged.  And of course, make sure you are not flying near any heavy metal objects like telephone masts and cables.
2017-10-2
Use props
agonzarn
lvl.2
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-2 12:30
No, this is not normal. I'd suggest doing an IMU and RC stick calibration and ensure that your compass has no issues too. If this doesn't work then refresh your firmware in DJI Assistant 2 and if all of this still makes not difference then you may have a hardware fault with your Spark and will need to return it. Try flying at other locations too before shipping it back and make sure you have a strong GPS connection with the homepoint set on the map before take off.

Thank you, I'll give this a try.  I was connected from 12-16 satellites, using RC, low wind.  I'm very particular about all settings as I've already lost 1 Spark.  Hopefully these calibrations will fix the issue.  I've also noticed from todays photos that my horizon is off, I'll have to calibrate there as well.
2017-10-2
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

agonzarn Posted at 2017-10-2 12:48
Thank you, I'll give this a try.  I was connected from 12-16 satellites, using RC, low wind.  I'm very particular about all settings as I've already lost 1 Spark.  Hopefully these calibrations will fix the issue.  I've also noticed from todays photos that my horizon is off, I'll have to calibrate there as well.

No probs. Unfortunately, you can't calibrate the gimbal on the Spark... Go into gimbal settings and adjust the gimbal pitch/roll manually when in the air - use the grid lines to align the horizon. I did have a minor drift issue and an IMU cal sorted it immediately. Must say, I've never had horizon tilt issues with the Spark - in fact, my horizons using the Spark are the straightest of any drone I have flown! Make sure the Spark is on a flat surface when you turn it on as it carries out an IMU initialisation as part of it's internal diagnostic checks on start up. If the surface isn't level when the drone is turned on this can cause drift/horizon tilts - you may also want to recalibrate the compass through a central axis of the quad and not around you - be very careful when calibrating the compass though as it's not recommended by DJI unless the app tells you too - you could make it worse if you calbirate with unknown metal objects around you - such as underground pipes.
2017-10-2
Use props
agonzarn
lvl.2
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-2 12:56
No probs. Unfortunately, you can't calibrate the gimbal on the Spark... Go into gimbal settings and adjust the gimbal pitch/roll manually when in the air - use the grid lines to align the horizon. I did have a minor drift issue and an IMU cal sorted it immediately. Must say, I've never had horizon tilt issues with the Spark - in fact, my horizons using the Spark are the straightest of any drone I have flown! Make sure the Spark is on a flat surface when you turn it on as it carries out an IMU initialisation as part of it's internal diagnostic checks on start up. If the surface isn't level when the drone is turned on this can cause drift/horizon tilts - you may also want to recalurate the compass through a central axis of the quad and not around you - be very careful when calibrating the compass though as it's not recommended by DJI unless the app tells you too - you could make it worse if you calbirate with unknown metal objects around you - such as underground pipes.

This was taken today.  As you can see by the flag, low wind, no movement on the controller.  
DJI_0020.JPG
2017-10-2
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

agonzarn Posted at 2017-10-2 13:06
This was taken today.  As you can see by the flag, low wind, no movement on the controller.

Nice shot! And no horizon tilt issue either. Do the IMU cal. and see if that stops the drifting in forward/backward pitch.
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

As small as the spark is I think drifting is expected with the little guy.  Mine drifts but not too excessive maybe I will do a calibration someday.
2017-10-2
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Try tap to fly in the DJI GO app if you want a perfect straight line.

There has been a few theories back in the hay days with the quad not flying in a straight line. One was the magnetic declination and the other was de-gausing your compass.
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules