HELP! drone flying by it self
1910 21 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

while flying my drone i've had notice that strated to fly forwards by it's own, i've twisted it a 180 degrees and this time strated to fly in the same direct as before, backwards, so it was not the controller the problem, i dont know wha could might the problem be, has anyone had this problem?. and i ve noticed to that during this afternoon it slighty twisted on it' own but not sure id it was the gimbal this time. Is this problem bad? before this two flights last time i flyed with very weak rain just for less than a minute because when i notice it i started to bring back the aircraft ( the weather changed very quickly ) and today before this weard problems i did an upgrade for something about flight zone, i do remember quite well. thanks for help.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

i tried the drone in the dark with waek ambient light and weak gps signal ( 9-13 satellite ), i dont know if this could by the problem but i flyed once in the dark again but with stronger gps singal and the drone was steady on is place
2017-10-2
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I am assuming you were in GPS mode that whole time, because 9-13 satellites isn't really weak.  I can see IMU calibration being an issue, but I cannot explain why it would keep drifting the SAME direction after a 180deg twist.  Nor can I explain why it didn't attempt stationkeeping based on GPS even if the IMU was off.  Are you _absolutely_ positive that you weren't in ATTI mode being blown by the wind?  All you gotta do is look at the controller and see what mode it says.  No need to guess about number of satellites for a weak signal.  If it says GPS, then it's GPS.   Any errors on the app?

Wind is usually milder at night.  That could explain why it behaved itself that 2nd time.  Oh, and was the drift with the wind direction?

I'm assuming you weren't flying near a large source of gravity capable of bending radio waves such as a black hole.  I guess you've got worse problems, if so.
2017-10-2
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft
United States

Are you sure you were not on Home Lock mode (done flies towards you when you pull the right stick back, regardless of the direction the drone is facing) and away from you when the stick is pushed forwards?
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like the drone went on ATTTI mode, to where it will hold altitude but at the same time it could drift along with the wind.  Can you upload your flight record?
2017-10-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Please upload the flight's TXT file from your mobile device to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to it here. Or better yet, retrieve the DAT file from the Mavic itself using these instructions, upload it to DropBox, and provide a link in this thread to the file. The correct DAT file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 14:52
I am assuming you were in GPS mode that whole time, because 9-13 satellites isn't really weak.  I can see IMU calibration being an issue, but I cannot explain why it would keep drifting the SAME direction after a 180deg twist.  Nor can I explain why it didn't attempt stationkeeping based on GPS even if the IMU was off.  Are you _absolutely_ positive that you weren't in ATTI mode being blown by the wind?  All you gotta do is look at the controller and see what mode it says.  No need to guess about number of satellites for a weak signal.  If it says GPS, then it's GPS.   Any errors on the app?

Wind is usually milder at night.  That could explain why it behaved itself that 2nd time.  Oh, and was the drift with the wind direction?

yes i was in gps mode all the time, and there was no wind i did not fly the drone above 1,2 meters. but maybe i've underdand that the probmes was the home lock option and it was moving by it self in the same direction becuase of that. I need to try agian after a new calibration of IMU.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

Jyunte Posted at 2017-10-2 15:19
Are you sure you were not on Home Lock mode (done flies towards you when you pull the right stick back, regardless of the direction the drone is facing) and away from you when the stick is pushed forwards?

maybe your rigth! before taking off i clicked on that option, i wanted to try some option ( im still new in drone flights ) and if the home lock is what i think i clicked on ( the simbol with the navigator pin and a man ) so it could be that the reaseon and it make sense if there was a weak gps signal. i need to try agian. maybe that explain why it was flying in a same direction, it was locking for the home posion recorded from the gps and not from the actual takeoff point
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-2 22:04
yes i was in gps mode all the time, and there was no wind i did not fly the drone above 1,2 meters. but maybe i've underdand that the probmes was the home lock option and it was moving by it self in the same direction becuase of that. I need to try agian after a new calibration of IMU.

only for few time it went on atti mode, but most of it it was gps
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-2 15:25
Sounds like the drone went on ATTTI mode, to where it will hold altitude but at the same time it could drift along with the wind.  Can you upload your flight record?

unfortunately there was no wind, the only thing i did it was flying above a 1,2 meter from the ground. and i have noticed this immediatly. it only went in atti mode few time, but only for amount of seconds. but maybe i did something in the oprtion and i clicked on home lock!. I need to try again and as soon as possible i will upload my flight record if the problem keeps going  
2017-10-2
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-2 16:36
Please upload the flight's TXT file from your mobile device to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to it here. Or better yet, retrieve the DAT file from the Mavic itself using these instructions, upload it to DropBox, and provide a link in this thread to the file. The correct DAT file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size.

thanks for your suggestion, but maybe i have understand the problem is the homelock option that i clicked before taking off. i need to do a new test. if the problem keep going i will  follow your istructions!
2017-10-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-2 22:19
thanks for your suggestion, but maybe i have understand the problem is the homelock option that i clicked before taking off. i need to do a new test. if the problem keep going i will  follow your istructions!

Looking forward to your feedback, before you test, please make sure that there is fine GPS signal for positioning (note that the quantity of the satellites doesn't mean too much to signal but the signal bar), and make sure that you are not in intelligent flight mode and see if everything works properly. If there is still something abnormal, I suggest reporting the case to our support and start a data analysis. We will help investigate what's going on.
2017-10-3
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-3 02:38
Looking forward to your feedback, before you test, please make sure that there is fine GPS signal for positioning (note that the quantity of the satellites doesn't mean too much to signal but the signal bar), and make sure that you are not in intelligent flight mode and see if everything works properly. If there is still something abnormal, I suggest reporting the case to our support and start a data analysis. We will help investigate what's going on.

i've tried the drone once more, it's seem everything normal but I need to check the drone in a open area for tell for soure that everything is back to normal because i've noticed this problem only when flying it in town on a terrace and I have a doubt: could it be and electromagnetic or Magnetic Interference that could have caused the problem? because i had also few notification on the app and the place were i was trying the drone was on this terrace and near the are some antennas. Are magnetic interference a threat for the drone even after flying again in safe places ? by the way GPS signal was weak and the other detail is that i clicked on the home point aircraft option from the app maybe that's way it was flying by it's own.
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-3 09:34
i've tried the drone once more, it's seem everything normal but I need to check the drone in a open area for tell for soure that everything is back to normal because i've noticed this problem only when flying it in town on a terrace and I have a doubt: could it be and electromagnetic or Magnetic Interference that could have caused the problem? because i had also few notification on the app and the place were i was trying the drone was on this terrace and near the are some antennas. Are magnetic interference a threat for the drone even after flying again in safe places ? by the way GPS signal was weak and the other detail is that i clicked on the home point aircraft option from the app maybe that's way it was flying by it's own.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Generally, the strong magnetic interference will disable the GPS and the drone will enter ATTI mode. Please change to another open place without interference to check again. Also, take care when you test the performance.
2017-10-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-3 09:34

i had also few notification on the app and the place were i was trying the drone was on this terrace and near the are some antennas.

The antennas probably aren't a problem, but your takeoff location might be. Concrete often contains embedded (steel) rebar that can interfere with the Mavic's compass.

Are magnetic interference a threat for the drone even after flying again in safe places ?

In general the Mavic has to be pretty close to a source of magnetic interference for it to create a problem, so if you take off and it initially flies fine it'll probably be ok for the rest of the flight. As Susan mentioned, though, you need to make sure that you take off from a location that's clear of geomagnetic distortions, which means avoiding places where metals like iron or steel may be close by.
2017-10-4
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-4 02:24
i had also few notification on the app and the place were i was trying the drone was on this terrace and near the are some antennas.

The antennas probably aren't a problem, but your takeoff location might be. Concrete often contains embedded (steel) rebar that can interfere with the Mavic's compass.

well, in my case there were a lot of metal pipes near the drone, laid down on the floor, but i could not have imagined that could have been a problem! my issue is by the way if a magnetic field can be in this case strong enough to harm the compass permanently like magnet would do with computers. I was distant 1 meters away from this assemble of pipelines however. I diden't have the chance to try it again in open field, but now im a bit worried in case i did something bad to my drone, becuase since i've use it twice on this terrace the drone slightly twisted slowly towards right ( in the direction of this pipes )
2017-10-4
Use props
fans8882c16f
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-3 23:18
Thanks for keeping us updated. Generally, the strong magnetic interference will disable the GPS and the drone will enter ATTI mode. Please change to another open place without interference to check again. Also, take care when you test the performance.

thanks to you all dji administrators to help costumers with there issues, however i did not had a chance to try again my drone for reporting a longer fly record in case of any problem. Im just worried now about a permanently damege on the drone compass, becuase the few times i have try it on this terrace, near some pipes on the ground the drone slighty twisted to the right in direction of this metal pipes, now my issue if this may had damage the compass sensors like magnet do to hard disk.
2017-10-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-4 06:27
thanks to you all dji administrators to help costumers with there issues, however i did not had a chance to try again my drone for reporting a longer fly record in case of any problem. Im just worried now about a permanently damege on the drone compass, becuase the few times i have try it on this terrace, near some pipes on the ground the drone slighty twisted to the right in direction of this metal pipes, now my issue if this may had damage the compass sensors like magnet do to hard disk.

Im just worried now about a permanently damege on the drone compass

No, there wouldn't be any permanent effect; as soon as the Mavic is moved away its compass will be fine.
2017-10-4
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-2 14:52

You can’t put the Mavic into ATTI mode, I’m guessing radio interference or a weak return spring (for want of a better word!) in the controller.
2017-10-4
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

You can’t put the Mavic into ATTI mode, I’m guessing radio interference or a weak return spring (for want of a better word!) in the controller.

You might want to check the stick calibration.

Radio interference is a very highly unlikely cause of bogus control commands.

You're correct that you cant put the Mavic into ATTI mode.... but the Mavic can do it itself,  most often when GPS is lost or too weak  to be reliable.
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans8882c16f Posted at 2017-10-4 06:27

Generally, the drone will do self-inspect once powered on. There will be reminder if something goes wrong. No worries.  
2017-10-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

From the many reported takeoff mishaps on the forum, I would recommend that you NEVER take off if you have a warning for magnetic or GPS interference.  It is just asking for trouble.  If you get one mid-flight, depart the area you are flying in.  You probably didn't damage anything.  A terrace sounds like a very poor place to fly from, but it would be interesting to see a picture of it.  Go to an open field with no metal around and do a proper compass calibration.  Then give it a test flight.  Once you have it calibrated, do NOT do another compass calibration unless it specifically tell you to while you are in a known clean environment (no ferrous metal objects nearby).
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules