Low noise propellers - Verified lower noise!
4844 39 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177254 ft
United States

I just got the new propellers, installed on my Mavic Pro, and verified lower noise, by 2 to 4 dB when hovering in front of me, and also I need to climb less in order for the Mavic to not be heard from the ground. Best $20 ever spent :-)

Also, the Mavic Pro auto-detects the new propellers (I do have the newest firmware installed), or they do not make a difference. I did not have to change any settings when swapping out propellers.

Posted a video about it at (EDIT: OMG, can I make the video image smaller??)

2017-10-2
Use props
Tyredecals.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Worth it!!
I am still waiting on mine. Aus wont see stock till mid Oct.
2017-10-2
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Tyredecals.com Posted at 2017-10-2 15:58
Worth it!!
I am still waiting on mine. Aus wont see stock till mid Oct.

do you need to buy 2 sets or will one be enough? Doesn't say in the description.
2017-10-2
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Good grief, if i keep watching these vids on the new props i'm going to end up buying some hehe
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

larrymull Posted at 2017-10-2 16:23
do you need to buy 2 sets or will one be enough? Doesn't say in the description.

you need two sets, one box contains 1pair.
2017-10-2
Use props
Tyredecals.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

larrymull Posted at 2017-10-2 16:23

1 set = 2 props
2 sets = 4 props.

I bought 2 sets from rise above aerials for $34 pickup.
2017-10-2
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing that with us, still waiting for my props, batteries and oh yeah my Platinum.
2017-10-2
Use props
itsjustme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Please explain the need for new firmware..,that doesn’t make any sense,. Why would they not work on an older firmware.
How the heck can mavic “detect” new props?
2017-10-2
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-2 16:50
Thank you for sharing that with us, still waiting for my props, batteries and oh yeah my Platinum.

Just ordered mine too, the gold tips were the only ones left. A bit of bling whilst i'm flying!
2017-10-2
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
United States

itsjustme Posted at 2017-10-2 16:52
Please explain the need for new firmware..,that doesn’t make any sense,. Why would they not work on an older firmware.

I honestly don't know. All I know is that in a recent (the most recent) firmware update, it mentioned compatibility with the new props. That's all I know, I've no idea how new firmware makes the Mavic Pro compatible with new props.
2017-10-2
Use props
fans369dc1f3
lvl.1
United States

FWIW, "Sound studies tell us time and again that a 3dBA increase in sound level is barely noticeable to the human ear."
2017-10-2
Use props
Mavy 1
Second Officer

Canada

That was a good watch.  If I needed a spare set I would get a set.
2017-10-2
Use props
Iamz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 487480 ft
Thailand

It's not always about dB level. Some frequency range is more annoying to human than others. Maybe it's more about the new props being less annoying than being quieter.
2017-10-2
Use props
Tyredecals.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Don't need latest firmware. DJI are just trying to encourage firmware updates to patch up some security holes in their previous firmwares.
2017-10-2
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.

One comment - dB sound level measurement is dependent on distance. On first measurement you look a 1-2 feet closer to the Mavic than the 2nd.

Normal standard sound level dB measurement is done from 1m/3' distance. Some companies don't like that and measure at random distances (so always read spec sheets for distance used for measurement)

But if you move just 1' (0.33m) further away - you will have about 2.5(ish) dB SPL less noise measured. Every time you double the distance - sound level drops 6dB.

So last constructive advice - measure at same point. So try measuring below the Mavic where you have the full sound impact with no shielding. So Mavic 3' right above your phone - then increase height and measure again with Mavic right below. That should then give you the right figures so you can calculate  (more or less) sound at altitude following the 6dB/doubling of distance rule. The only other issue is at higher altitude the prop's probably spin faster and more irregular to compensate for wind and air density. But that is a whole other talk

But thanks again and I hope you take it as positive criticism so all can learn a little. I learned I need to get a pair new prop's to try. and the new prop's are less noisy at altitude which is the important part.

I'm not a sound level expert and the above is simplified quite a bit. But I am an engineer/maker -  and I do create hw and sw for noise measurement as part of my environmental measurement systems.
2017-10-3
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

The new FW adjusts the ESC's to a slightly different RPM to adjust for the new design.
2017-10-3
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

I think he means to calibrate the drone
2017-10-3
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
United States

kazcow Posted at 2017-10-3 01:26
Thanks for sharing.

One comment - dB sound level measurement is dependent on distance. On first measurement you look a 1-2 feet closer to the Mavic than the 2nd.

THANK YOU!  I will follow your advice. I'm certainly not trained in the physical type of engineering, so I very much welcome your suggestions.  For starters, I think measuring decibles with a cellphone is pretty silly.  At least I felt silly doing it. But I thought the difference between measurements would be more valid than the absolute measurements.
2017-10-3
Use props
defillo
lvl.2
Italy

Ordered mine more than one week ago, as soon as received the onstock reminder. Immediately payed, never shipped, no info about. no way to contact to have a reply.. Strongly disappointed..
2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Results have been favorable so it looks like the cost meets the needs.
2017-10-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2017-10-3
Use props
Bikkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481175 ft
Netherlands

Can u use the new props with an Old firmware on the mavic pro?
2017-10-3
Use props
fans369dc1f3
lvl.1
United States

Iamz Posted at 2017-10-2 20:06
It's not always about dB level. Some frequency range is more annoying to human than others. Maybe it's more about the new props being less annoying than being quieter.

"Maybe it's more about the new props being less annoying than being quieter." ... maybe ... good point
2017-10-3
Use props
Lay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

defillo Posted at 2017-10-3 05:23
Ordered mine more than one week ago, as soon as received the onstock reminder. Immediately payed, never shipped, no info about. no way to contact to have a reply.. Strongly disappointed..

+1

I cancelled the order.
2017-10-3
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

defillo Posted at 2017-10-3 05:23

Ditto, I ordered more then a week ago, and have yet to here anything at all from DJI.  Paypal was charged immediately though.  I will give it one week and then cancel through Paypal.  The DJI experience leaves sooo much to be desired.  Hard to be a fan.
2017-10-3
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

Just had my shipping notification from heliguy in the UK. Should get to try them tomorrow
2017-10-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

im still waiting on amazon to get them officially or DJi to sell them officially on amazon.    i much rather use amazon as i can more easily return and get refund if something isn't right and use store credit i have with amazon.  should save me $10 also since free 2day shipping with prime.  

as for what the OP.. i do take issue with how you did measurements but real world is different from a lab so, hey its whatever but i do wish you could have measured from an exact distance each time.  

but  the reality is as someone else has mentioned, its about frequency and waveform more than raw decibel change.  like my laptop's fan has 2 sets of fins in them, and offset from each other and spaced in such a way that the frequencies of every other fin cancels the other fins out, it works well, i never can tell when my laptop's fan is running unless i put my ear right up to it.   so i'm guessing the new blades on the mavic pro going for similar idea of a less annoying noise, not a raw DB change.  going for less annoying chopping of the air..and instead reducing potential turbulence at the tips and cutting that down a bit..
2017-10-3
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

I have a question about Mavic firmware updates.  Just for context:  I have a Mavic which I ordered & received in July 2017.  I did not update the firmware when I received it, nor have I updated the firmware since.  Main concern is that I saw various posts from outraged users in the forums complaining about this-or-that with firmware updates, including something about DJI getting more intrusive and forcing internet connections before the drone would fly, that sort of thing.

I'm paranoid about messy updates, and have a very strong "don't fix it if it ain't broke" bias.  My Mavic works fine for me, flies great, never had any problems, which is why I'm loath to mess with it on the chance that a firmware update does something I don't like, since I can't go back again, yes?

I've ordered the new low-noise props, but have not yet received them.  Am wondering:  Do I need to update my firmware?  If I don't, what's the issue?  If I do... are there any concerns?  Am I right to be worried about updating the firmware, or am I jumping at shadows here and should just update?

Normally I update my stuff because I tend to trust that "newer = better", but some of what I've read in the Mavic forums makes me wondering whether that holds true in the case of firmware updates from DJI.

Any advice much appreciated.
2017-10-3
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gabriel.magana Posted at 2017-10-3 03:49
THANK YOU!  I will follow your advice. I'm certainly not trained in the physical type of engineering, so I very much welcome your suggestions.  For starters, I think measuring decibles with a cellphone is pretty silly.  At least I felt silly doing it. But I thought the difference between measurements would be more valid than the absolute measurements.

No - above about 40dB SPL most phones are pretty ok up to around 65 dB SPL. Lower than 40 and higher than 65 starts to show the circuit's and microphone hardwares limitations. On good phones (Sorry) in general iPhones the Microphones are better and have a larger span. On cheap androids a lot worse. I have not tested resent High End androids but my last Samsung was "ok" but not close to iPhone in linearity.

Good software on the Phone can compensate partly for bad microphones but only through the frequency range of the hardware. You can't expect super high performance from cheap phone microphones in cheap phones.

There are plug in calibrated microphones for about $45-$100 you plug into your phone. It does require a mini-jack so latest iPhones are out of the question for those. Quite a few SPL / Noise software on Android and iPhone knows them and will support them.  The calibrated microphones usually gives you close to type-2 response (type 1 is very flat throughout the whole frequency span - type 2 is not as flat and shorter optimal response curve) - but for all but the highest pitched or lowest pitched noises Type-2 is absolutely fine.  The sensors I make are type-2 equivalent which is why I need a type-1 instrument to calibrate with.

So the plug in Measurement Microphones are much much better than the microphone on your phone for sound level measurements
2017-10-3
Use props
Ryanthusar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204288 ft
Belgium

First of all, thank you very much for sharing.

But I have a question, though.

As the mavic is supposed to reduce the motor speed with the new propellers, could you notice a significant increase in flight time?

Kind regards.
2017-10-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks a lot for posting your results.
2017-10-3
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

What about performance with these props did you notice anything as far as increased responsiveness?  Or faster performance or was it just the same?
2017-10-3
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

Wouldn't you know it, right after I stocked up on spare props, they came out with the new quieter ones.   
2017-10-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-10-3 17:40
Wouldn't you know it, right after I stocked up on spare props, they came out with the new quieter ones.

2 more pairs wouldn't hurt
2017-10-3
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

Ryanthusar Posted at 2017-10-3 15:04
First of all, thank you very much for sharing.

But I have a question, though.

Yes, today I noticed the rpm's for the old props were about 550 at a hover...the new props were spinning at 500. My MP is updated but if you are not updated I'd imagine that you may get a pop up saying to update? I don't know, someone else is gonna have to figure that one out, maybe nothing happens?

I haven't noticed increased flight time yet, I'd imagine theoretically that slower spinning props may translate to an extra minute or two, maybe. I'll check that one out tomor.
2017-10-3
Use props
Babino
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25161 ft
United States

Don't be like me and order one set only to receive them and realize you need another set (I rushed, my own fault).
Order two boxes (4 props) from the start or else you'll have two pretty propellers sitting for a month before you can use them, factoring in current production and shipping time of course.
2017-10-6
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Twirlip Posted at 2017-10-3 12:45
I have a question about Mavic firmware updates.  Just for context:  I have a Mavic which I ordered & received in July 2017.  I did not update the firmware when I received it, nor have I updated the firmware since.  Main concern is that I saw various posts from outraged users in the forums complaining about this-or-that with firmware updates, including something about DJI getting more intrusive and forcing internet connections before the drone would fly, that sort of thing.

I'm paranoid about messy updates, and have a very strong "don't fix it if it ain't broke" bias.  My Mavic works fine for me, flies great, never had any problems, which is why I'm loath to mess with it on the chance that a firmware update does something I don't like, since I can't go back again, yes?

I'm on the same boat - I have not updated, and will not update my FW. It's working fine as is and do not like the new FW updates "features"

On another forum, I read a post from someone saying he is using the new props with .800 FW without any issues, but I am wondering if in the long run, this might cause possible damage/extra vibration because of older FW has a different calibration for ESC and Rotor...
I placed an order after reading that post, but considering cancelling it now...
2017-10-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

To be fair in terms of a proper test this video "verifies" nothing at all.  There are no controlled conditions at all, there are no repeats of tests or attempts to reduce variables and most importantly, the noise levels are being measured by a device that is so inaccurate (the phone meters arent calibrated in any way and contain AGC circuitry to normalise levels) its absolutely impossible to get any meaningful reading.

This test can only be done by properly designed and calibrated sound meters with fixed angles, distances and so on.

The only 2 videos ive seen even approaching using suitable equipment have found roughly a 1db difference which is so small its inaudible.
2017-10-6
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2017-10-6 15:36
To be fair in terms of a proper test this video "verifies" nothing at all.  There are no controlled conditions at all, there are no repeats of tests or attempts to reduce variables and most importantly, the noise levels are being measured by a device that is so inaccurate (the phone meters arent calibrated in any way and contain AGC circuitry to normalise levels) its absolutely impossible to get any meaningful reading.

This test can only be done by properly designed and calibrated sound meters with fixed angles, distances and so on.

There is NO problem with AGC (Auto Gain Control) used in all of the app-based iPhone SPL meters I know of.  Since iOS 7 the SDK has supported software disable function of the AGC.

Phones are not accurate as in they are not calibrated to any standard. But I find iPhone microphones and circuity is pretty good and consistent compared to the average Android.

My $X000+ meters are calibrated type-1 meters and the difference to type-2 calibrated Mic's are - is mostly in frequency range (so Type-1 is a flat for a larger range of frequencies) - but when I say flat we are still talking about +/- 1dB SPL on a type 1 and I think it is +1.5-2/-1.5-2 dB SPL on a type 2 when in the frequency curve range. When you move outside the curve data is well.. random at best but some Type-2's are close to their Type-1 counterparts.

Yes you are right about where to measure - that does have a huge impact. But with good Omni directional microphones (Phones and SPL meters are usually both omni)  you do not need to be very precise on where you point the thing at. Just make certain the distance is the same especially on short distances. The longer the distance the less impact an inch or two makes.

I will happily use my iPhone to make relative measurements in a pinch. It might not be numerical the right value - but the differential is usually correct. So 1 measurement of 65 dB SPL and next of 60 dB SPL - is a -5 dB SPL relative measurement - and usually it is pretty much equal to my expensive meters measurement of the relative difference - as long as it is inside the 40 to 65-70'ish dB range.

But when I need to be very precise I do send my meter for calibration. When I only need less I home calibrate with my own calibrator - but for 90% of things I need neither.   as long as results are can be replicated next time.  
2017-10-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Ive not seen anything suggesting phone calibrations are anything near the accuracy and margin of error you claim eve by their own specs.

Other things wrong with the test include outdoors (so wind and amibent noise that isnt constant), not run multiple times to rule out anomalies and get a proper baseline, not run with multiple vehicles to rule out a specific craft, cant see any evidence of exactly constant orientation of the drone and distance and various other things.  There are simply too many variables (and lack of repetitions) to say anything from it especially dealing with differences as tiny as 1-2db.
(Thats also not withstanding the fact you'd struggle to get any human to tell you something is louder or quieter with a 2db change in output anyway).
2017-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules