Inspire 1 with X5 camera is a bit wobbly in flight
1664 16 2017-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I have recently upgraded from X3 to X5 camera. I have done a fair bit of research to prepare myself how to maneuver the aircraft now with a much heavier and valuable payload. The flight performance seems to be a bit sluggish right off the bet. The noise from the prop seems also much louder showing it has to put much more effect in lifting the aircraft. However, what I did not expect is that a couple of times, the aircraft seems to be a bit wobbly especially when it is about to change its momentum/direction. There are times that the aircraft actually turn/tilt reluctantly probably due to air current surrounding the aircraft. I am feeling insecure in this situation worrying the aircraft may topple over. My inspire 1 is v1, so it is a bit under power. What experienced X5 pilots say about the flight charactistics and how to properly fly this aircraft.
2017-10-2
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

You are in a pickle with the version 1.  That system can't handle an X5 properly .  Best to sell your Inspire and update to the New Inspire at lest to version 2.  there are some good deals out there I have noticed as of late.
You do have at least  the X5 vibration board attached I presurme?  The original Inspire came with an X3 vibration board that was eventually replaced  with the X5 board for all models .

Wish I had better news for you mate.

donnie
2017-10-3
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Donnelly for your reply. However, do you mean original inspire pro has more powerful motors than inspire with x3 camera.
2017-10-3
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi DTK,

Given the same size and pitch of props of Inspire 1 V1 and V2 (i.e. the airframe Inspire 1 Pro adopted), as a law of physics the props must be rotating faster with X5 mounted than with X3 mounted. The increases in props rotation speeds are the same for V1 and V2, given the same weights both airframes with X5 mounted. The difference in performance between the 2 systems is mainly resulted from the difference between the power curve of the 350Kv 3510 motors / ESCs of the V1 and the power curve of the 420Kv 3510H motors / ESCs of the V2.

I am sure DJI's engineers must have optimised, in terms of airframe design, the V1 with the 350Kv motors / ESCs system to perform in the most power-efficient region of the power curve with props rotating at slower rotation speed when the V1 is mounted with X3. In order to give the same higher rotation speed hence same higher upthust as the V2 with X5, the V1 with the 350Kv motors / ESCs mounted with X5 will have to perform in the lower efficiency region (beyond the summit region, along the "downhill" region) of the power curve, drawing higher currents from the battery. The V2 with the 420Kv motos / ESCs mounted with X5 will, on the other hand, be performing in the most efficient region (at the summit region) of the power curve by design. This gives the users the following differnce in experience when manuvouring the V1 with X5 and V2 with X5 (i.e. the Inspire 1 Pro):-

1) At the "downhill" region of the power curve, any system command for thrust change from the V1 with the 350Kv motors / ESCs will demand a higher degree of change of current than the degree of change of current which the 420Kv motors / ESCs will demand from the V2 system, no matter when the command is coming from the IMU in counteracting wind or when it is coming from the manuvouring (stick) inputs of the pilot. The effect, in terms of user experience, will be a more nimble airframe of the V2 with X5, than the V1 with X5. Conversely, the effect will be a more slugish airframe of the V1 with X5 than the V2 with X5.

2) Since the 350Kv motors / ESCs are performing in the less efficient region of the power curve when the V1 is mounted with X5, theoretically the pilot will experience a shorter flight time than that of the V2 mounted with X5.

These are my 2 cents which more or less are in line with the user experience I read from this forum.

Henry

2017-10-3
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

Thanks, Henry, for a clear and concise explanation of its performance characteristic.
2017-10-3
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-10-3 14:08
Thanks, Henry, for a clear and concise explanation of its performance characteristic.

Henry is a LEGEND.

donnie
2017-10-7
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
United States

Yeah, although performance is bit restricted, I do enjoy very much the improvement in in video quality.
2017-10-7
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-10-3 05:53
Hi DTK,

Given the same size and pitch of props of Inspire 1 V1 and V2 (i.e. the airframe Inspire 1 Pro adopted), as a law of physics the props must be rotating faster with X5 mounted than with X3 mounted. The increases in props rotation speeds are the same for V1 and V2, given the same weights both airframes with X5 mounted. The difference in performance between the 2 systems is mainly resulted from the the difference between the power curve of the 350Kv 3510 motors / ESCs of the V1 and the power curve of the 420Kv 3510H motors / ESCs of the V2.

Wow! If that's your 2 cents, what do we get for a dollar? Nicely explained Henry, a pleasure to read.

Mark G.
2017-10-8
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Donnie, Mark,

Thanks for the kind words!

To me, the Inspire 1 system had always been giving me pleasures and confidence since it showed its capabilities to me 2 years ago. It led me through the sky giving me the chance of exploring our world in completely different perspectives. Decades of remote-controlled model plane flying didn't give me such experience!

Time flies, new systems were launched by DJI. Yet to me there was no new comers that could offer me comparable performances the Inspire 1 system had been offering to me. I hope DJI will continue to produce consumables such as TB48 batteries so as to let this legendary system continue to perform wonderfully for us in the years to come.

Henry
2017-10-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

Is it worthwhile to upgrade to 3510H motors and ESC if X5 is going to be used permanently on the Inspire? What is the cost of such upgrade?
2017-10-10
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DTK Posted at 2017-10-10 02:45
Is it worthwhile to upgrade to 3510H motors and ESC if X5 is going to be used permanently on the Inspire? What is the cost of such upgrade?

You really should consider thrice - the cost of upgrading, if available, and the associated risks (firmware issues, workmanship, warranty and etc.) may render such upgrading not worthwhile.

DJI offers Inspire 1 V2 aircraft without any gimbal / camera and RC controller, and also offers Inspire 1 V2 aircraft with X3 gimbal / camera without RC controller, both at reasonable prices of AUS$2,399 and AUS$2,899 respectively.

Henry
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-10-10 05:56
You really should consider thrice - the cost of upgrading, if available, and the associated risks (firmware issues, workmanship, warranty and etc.) may render such upgrading not worthwhile.

DJI offers Inspire 1 V2 aircraft without any gimbal / camera and RC controller, and also offers Inspire 1 V2 aircraft with X3 gimbal / camera without RC controller, both at reasonable prices of AUS$2,399 and AUS$2,899 respectively.

Agreed Henry. If you are upgrading, there are chances you could run into all types of unforeseen issues. Unless there is a compelling issue, you may want reconsider this point.
2017-10-10
Use props
CHPV Media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870249 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just upgraded my i1v1 to the x5 with the new plate, I have not had the opportunity to test fly it (due to high winds) after reading these post
I'm a bit concerned. Is there anything I should look out for when flying this combo ?
2017-10-22
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-10-9 05:45
Hi Donnie, Mark,

Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately Inspire 1 platform can not compete with recent camera systems in terms of video quality. This is the one and only reason for me considering future purchase of an aircraft capable to carry X5S class camera. Inspire 2 seems to be an obvious choice, but - for reasons difficult to describe - I would like to experience something radically different than what Inspire concept has to offer in flight. However,  that's another story ... Inspire 1 is alive and kickin' ...
2017-11-2
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-2 19:35
Unfortunately Inspire 1 platform can not compete with recent camera systems in terms of video quality. This is the one and only reason for me considering future purchase of an aircraft capable to carry X5S class camera. Inspire 2 seems to be an obvious choice, but - for reasons difficult to describe - I would like to experience something radically different than what Inspire concept has to offer in flight. However,  that's another story ... Inspire 1 is alive and kickin' ...

Hi Matthew,

Yes the X5S, and the newer X7 are great for stills and videos, but the X5 is not bad at all. Your Smoke on the Water (The Smoke) speaks for itself.  

In my earlier post "no new comers that could offer me comparable performances" was about the qualities of final deliverables (stills and videos) we could obtain in considering the system cost (first factor), camera & image processing engine (second factor), portability (third factor), and maneuverability (forth factor) of various systems. For the first and third factors, the Inspire 1 system wins. For the second and forth factors, the Inspire 2 wins. If I do not own my Inspire 1 and am about to purchase a new aerial system, I definitely will choose the Inspire 2 system. But my Inspire 1 Pro is still performing well these days.

Well, something radically different than what Inspire concept has to offer would be interesting. Let our imaginations soar - fuel cells powered, long flight time, light to carry around, head-tracking camera, to name a few.

What had come to your mind?

Henry
2017-11-4
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-11-4 05:35
Hi Matthew,

Yes the X5S, and the newer X7 are great for stills and videos, but the X5 is not bad at all. Your Smoke on the Water (The Smoke) speaks for itself.  

Henry, at this moment M200 seems to be my target platform. It's prohibitevely expensive from hobbyist point of view, but it's robust, rigid and powerful a huge notch above Inspire 2. With X5S camera (body only), Cendence controller and Ultra Bright monitor she'll deliver probably all I'm looking for in my photography for years ahead. While Inspire 1 Pro with X5 still performs charmingly, she fails belly up when comparing video quality to stills. BTW, "The Smoke" was assembled entirely with Phantom 4 Pro footage. The same shoots made with X5 exhibits annoying compression artifacts on glass-like water surface.  60 mbps bitrate with 4K is simply not up to my expectation these days ...

Pleasure as always to chat with you, Henry.
2017-11-4
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-11-4 15:37
Henry, at this moment M200 seems to be my target platform. It's prohibitevely expensive from hobbyist point of view, but it's robust, rigid and powerful a huge notch above Inspire 2. With X5S camera (body only), Cendence controller and Ultra Bright monitor she'll deliver probably all I'm looking for in my photography for years ahead. While Inspire 1 Pro with X5 still performs charmingly, she fails belly up when comparing video quality to stills. BTW, "The Smoke" was assembled entirely with Phantom 4 Pro footage. The same shoots made with X5 exhibits annoying compression artifacts on glass-like water surface.  60 mbps bitrate with 4K is simply not up to my expectation these days ...

Pleasure as always to chat with you, Henry.

Hi Matthew,

I didn't aware that The Smoke was shoot w/ P4P.

Yes, the 33 minutes flight time of the M200 with X5S is very attractive, if only there is a bellhop helping me to carry the 4.5 kg airborne gear + another 5kg of ground gears through the trek. With your boathouse, you are in a better position to consider the M200 system than me.

Keep sharing your wonderful footages!

Henry
2017-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules