Risk of midair shutdown from full throttle down? (P2V+)
1437 11 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul
lvl.2

United States

I was thinking about the left stick's throttle down "sticky position" at the bottom.   I noticed myself doing somthing that seems wrong.

That is, to descend rapidly, I've been clicking the throttle to its full down position.  The motors are supposed to stop if it's held there for 3 seconds, but that's not what I've observed unless the craft is actually landed.

My question is: Does it even know if it's touching the ground?  Or have I just been lucky not to shut the motors down in midair while descending rapidly?  

(I know it's aware of altitude via GPS, but that's often inaccurate if there are hills, etc.)

2015-4-7
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The motors will only stop if it detects that it hasn't dropped for 2- 3 seconds
2015-4-7
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The risk is zero of the phantom shutting the motors off by holding the throttle down while in flight.
After landing, holding the throttle down will shut off the motors in 3 seconds.
So yes, the phantom does know when its landed as the IMU detects movement and changes in altitude.
2015-4-7
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-7 23:48
The risk is zero of the phantom shutting the motors off by holding the throttle down while in flight ...

"The risk is zero of the phantom shutting the motors off by holding the throttle down while in flight"

Nothing is absolute with a Phantom
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-7 23:50
"The risk is zero of the phantom shutting the motors off by holding the throttle down while in fli ...

If you do the regular shutdown with the throttle in the locked down position, as long as it is descending, it will not shutdown.  That is why the 3 second delay to detect no movement.  Only then will it shutdown upon landing.
2015-4-7
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

Ah, so although it's not "precisely" aware that it's at zero altitude, it's "more or less precisely" aware that it's no longer descending.  
2015-4-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

paul@westpointd Posted at 2015-4-8 00:13
Ah, so although it's not "precisely" aware that it's at zero altitude, it's "more or less precisely" ...

It senses movement, when it is "on the ground", then it will stop your motors after 3 seconds of no movement.
2015-4-7
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

paul@westpointd Posted at 2015-4-8 00:13
Ah, so although it's not "precisely" aware that it's at zero altitude, it's "more or less precisely" ...

Not exactly. I doesn't matter at what altitude it is, if you pull the stick down for 3 seconds and it doesn't move (e.g you've just landed it on the top of a nearby hill) the motors will stop.  Like wise, if you lower into a nearby valley, below your home point, the motors won't stop until its been on the ground for 3 seconds (ish)
2015-4-7
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

adrianjacobs@nt Posted at 2015-4-8 00:47
Not exactly. I doesn't matter at what altitude it is, if you pull the stick down for 3 seconds and ...

So far two people have corrected me but I'm pretty sure we're saying the same thing.  Lack of movement tells it that it's landed.  I get it.
2015-4-7
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

It also works if you hand catch the drone. How does it know it is no longer descending? Is it air pressure alone that tells it the change in altitude? It must be a pretty precise measurement.
2015-4-7
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... s-mid-flight.26928/
2015-4-7
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-7 23:48
The risk is zero of the phantom shutting the motors off by holding the throttle down while in flight ...

Well that is not 100% true,  it will shut down mid air with throttle down if motor cut-off type was changed from default intelligent to immediate.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules