Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Australia - Flying over a person
1698 19 2017-10-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

I see so many videos where a drone is flown over a small number of people. Some of these are shot in Australia.

I do understand that the rules are in place to mandate people to take a common sense approach to minimizing risk.

I know there is a requirement to stay more than 30M from people, but does that mean I can fly 40M almost above a single person?

From AC101-10:
"4. Populous areas - for RPA operations, does not have its common meaning. Rather, it is
defined in the regulations as:
…an area [that] has a sufficient density of population for some aspect of the operation,
or some event that might happen during the operation (in particular, a fault in, or failure
of, the aircraft…) to pose an unreasonable risk to the life, safety or property of
somebody who is in the area but is not connected with the operation.
For example, if a rotorcraft-type RPA is flying at a relatively low height (i.e. ~30 m/100 ft)
directly above a single person not associated with the flight, it may be considered to be
operating in a populous area due to the fact that a complete loss of power may cause injury
to the person below. Similarly, an RPA operating over a large public gathering at a higher
level (e.g. 120 m/400 ft) would pose an unreasonable risk to the safety of the people below
because, in the event of a systems failure, it may not be able to clear the area. This
interpretation would apply equally to higher flight over built-up areas where there is a greater
risk to property."

This is worded to make it sound to me like flying more than 30M above a single person is generally okay.

This makes perfect sense. Flying at any height over an area with a large number of people means that the risk of hitting any one of those people is significantly higher than flying say 31M over a single person, especially if you aren't directly over them, but a few metres to the side. The chance of accidentally hitting that person is extremely small.

2017-10-4
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The rules also say "You must not fly any closer than 30 metres from other people."
That could be interpreted as being distance and/or height.
I would not like to put it to the test in a court of law if my drone malfunctioned and injured a person.
I think you need to ignore what others do and fly according to your skills while minimising risk to others.
2017-10-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I strongly do not recommend flying the drone over or above people. Let us make an assumption, if the drone doesn't spin its motors due to some reasons, it will just fall straightly, then if a person stands under the drone, it might be really dangerous.
2017-10-5
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

I know there is a requirement to stay more than 30M from people, but does that mean I can fly 40M almost above a single person?

No not at all.
2017-10-5
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

I think there is far to much emphasis put on rules and regulations where the simple wording of 'common sense' should apply.

We make risk assessments every day of our lives without knowing .... we do it when we drive a car, walk across a street etc. etc. I get there need to be guidelines for the few that are 'hard of thinking' but the vast majority of us (I would include all of us on this forum) are quite capable of making a quick decision on whether to fly near to or over people.

The mods on here have to adopt the belt and braces approach to mitigate themselves should an accident happen.

If this were a forum for 'driving cars' ... I guess the mods of that forum would suggest not driving on the road just in case a pedestrian walked across and the brakes failed on your car!!

COMMON SENSE is the order of the day ... if it is very windy or the sun shines in your eyes at any point, whether your drone is in good working order etc etc etc then these are factors you must take into account.
2017-10-5
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

It's all about risk assessment. By nature I'm a very cautious person.

After seeing glitches with my Mavic and reading the many reports of weird behaviour on the net I am way more worried that my Mavic will have a software glitch and cause it to fly of to a random location and crash into people than I am about it suddenly changing direction to lurch a few metres to the side and falling straight out of the sky. If it were to do that it's just as likely to lurch 31 metres and fall out of the sky.

2017-10-5
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Check out CASA in Australia gov site all the information u will need on one site-https://www.casa.gov.au/operatio ... resources-and-links ...keep flying safe

2017-10-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

It would seem that the rules have been clarified a lot more.

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2017/10/new-drone-rules/

And looking at the video, you can't fly over a person regardless of the height.
2017-10-19
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

I'm very against nanny state policing of what is mostly a safe hobby or interest.
But I'm sure the rules are open to situational interpretation.
2017-10-19
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-19 19:46
It would seem that the rules have been clarified a lot more.

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2017/10/new-drone-rules/

This looks more worrying.

Within 5.5 kilometres of any uncontrolled aerodrome or landing site which is being used by manned aircraft, including helicopters.

Cities are littered with helipads, would basically make the whole place restricted.
2017-10-19
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

nottuppaware Posted at 2017-10-19 19:54
This looks more worrying.

Within 5.5 kilometres of any uncontrolled aerodrome or landing site which is being used by manned aircraft, including helicopters.

I think the word to look at is "manned". If you look at their app for where you can fly, the helicopter landing sites are just listed as danger areas, not restricted.
2017-10-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10400463 ft
  • >>>
United States

"I know there is a requirement to stay more than 30M from people, but does that mean I can fly 40M almost above a single person? by Mike Warren"

Regardless of how you interpret/define the wording, I think it's just best practice to stay away from people when flying so that you minimize the risk of injury to others.
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Bigga J Posted at 2017-10-5 03:02
I think there is far to much emphasis put on rules and regulations where the simple wording of 'common sense' should apply.

We make risk assessments every day of our lives without knowing .... we do it when we drive a car, walk across a street etc. etc. I get there need to be guidelines for the few that are 'hard of thinking' but the vast majority of us (I would include all of us on this forum) are quite capable of making a quick decision on whether to fly near to or over people.

That is my way to see this issue.
2017-10-20
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-20 06:12
"I know there is a requirement to stay more than 30M from people, but does that mean I can fly 40M almost above a single person?"

Simple as that!
Agree!
2017-10-20
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-20 06:12
"I know there is a requirement to stay more than 30M from people, but does that mean I can fly 40M almost above a single person?"

No you can't fly over people at any height. This has been clarified in the new rules and basically, you cannot go closer than the 30 mts at any height.
2017-10-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10400463 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-20 19:11
No you can't fly over people at any height. This has been clarified in the new rules and basically, you cannot go closer than the 30 mts at any height.

I know better.

It wasn't my question. I quoted and answered another member's question (Mike Warren).

You need to carefully take a second look.

2017-10-20
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-10-20 19:11

I'd agree with that,  a P4P would do a lot of damage if it hit someone
2017-10-20
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

The Oz CASA site has a quiz at the bottom of this page, might be interesting for some of you judging by the comments.

https://droneflyer.com.au/?utm_s ... C%3DUNCLASSIFIED%5D

Happy flying folk!
2017-10-21
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

When i been flying at a large park or field if anyone runs or walks in my flight path i evade buy going high and angle the drone away..just incase as u never know.A good rule of thumb don't fly over people and warn people if they happen to be or wonder within the 30m safe zone distance or in your flight path and if the place your flying becomes crowded better find somewhere else to fly.
2017-10-21
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Just saw this a couple of days ago. Some pretty hefty fines.

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia ... ice-of-foolishness/
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules