Very Disappointing Service from DJI
1486 31 2017-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Squidsnack
New
Ireland

I bought a phantom 3 pro in June of 2015 and it worked without problems up till I did a firmware update on it a few weeks ago after a period of non use for a few months.

The drone would not work after this update no matter what I tried.

The drone was shipped into DJI for repair

They told me I needed a new Gimbal Yaw-axis and Video Downlink Main Board V10 for a price of €328.

The drone was working fine, with no problems up till this update, I have never crashed the drone (with my logs being proof of this) and all my landings were similar to ones shown in DJI videos.

This is very poor treatment as a DJI customer who was just following out a normal update procedure.

I realise I am long out of the warranty period but customers should not have to pay money for repairs due to lack of testing firmware updates from DJI.

I have lost confidence in DJI, if I was to pay the repair costs, I wouldn’t be confident that the same thing wouldn’t happen again (after a period of non use and then another update). DJI would then again use the ‘out of warranty’ excuse and expect me to pay another repair cost.

Has anyone else run into similar problems with firmware updates, where the update itself has caused the hardware to fail?

2017-10-5
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 607336 ft
United Kingdom

That don't sound very good regarding the none use for a bit and then a new update of firmware and then it not working at all, that could happen to anyone. Where do you stand if you don't have the warranty anymore or you buy second hand.
2017-10-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

This seems to be a frequent happening.  I had the same problem about a year ago. Update bricked the drone and no choice but to send it in for repair.  Was told a main board was damaged and charged $230. Drone was flying perfectly before the failed update.  Put up an argument, but to no avail.
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Seeing these kind of posts and problems really concerns me.  I own two relatively new DJI products.  A Spark and a Phantom 4 Pro.  It is very hard to recommend DJI products to anyone when you see and hear these kind of things with post sale support.  I would like to think that issues with software and FW updates causing major issues is a rarity but the more time I spend on this site the more I think there are real problems with their products, software engineering, software deployment and customer support.  I know I will warn anyone that I talk to that they may want to read through postings and educate themselves on this and other websites  before they make a decision to purchase DJI products.  
2017-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Since DJI are the numero uno I doubt they would care who you bought your "next few drones" from... ;-)

I wish there was a magic wand to fix all the problematic drones and improve the CS when these rare occurrences take place.

It seems that many repair charges are excessive.
I know in the hobby store business, it's the spare parts and pieces they sell, for a majority of their large profits.

It's quite the lucrative racket to be top dog in. RC drones.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-5 15:40
Since DJI are the numero uno I doubt they would care who you bought your "next few drones" from... ;-)

You seem to be quite the DJI fanboy.  I hope that everyone that has posted in this thread values your unsolicited opinion as much as I do.
2017-10-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

RHP is a good fellow.  He knows his stuff. He just lays it out like it is sometimes. Nothing wrong with that.
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-5 17:27
RHP is a good fellow.  He knows his stuff. He just lays it out like it is sometimes. Nothing wrong with that.

Laying it out?  Sorry it's called trolling.
2017-10-5
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-5 17:27

I'm wondering if these problems are with the new firmware update or problems with the drones themselves, because how does the firmware updates pick out individual drones to find faults with. The dji P4P is my next drone to buy but not till next year and to see all the problems that you see on the forums about firmware updates and new this and new that I'm thinking hold on before you buy, but what choice do I have if I want to stay with dji.
2017-10-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-5 17:59
Laying it out?  Sorry it's called trolling.

That's hardly trolling.  Stop being so sensitive.
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-5 18:12
I'm wondering if these problems are with the new firmware update or problems with the drones themselves, because how does the firmware updates pick out individual drones to find faults with. The dji P4P is my next drone to buy but not till next year and to see all the problems that you see on the forums about firmware updates and new this and new that I'm thinking hold on before you buy, but what choice do I have if I want to stay with dji.

I suspect you are correct that the problems are with individual drones perhaps because of minor component changes through the production cycle or software combinations and hardware combinations.  I agree with you.  It is difficult to recommend a product to others when users are experiencing the post sale support problems reported here and elsewhere let alone purchase additional products for myself.  Does one roll the dice and hope they are not one of those that get a bad one?  

The fact that DJI feels secure in their market share is obvious.  I have seen many companies fail over time not because they occasionally turn out a lemon but because of the way they treat customers after the sale that are unfortunate and get one of their lemons.     
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-10-5 18:32
That's hardly trolling.  Stop being so sensitive.

Ok.  What was the goal of the comment?  Just laying it out as I see it.  I am willing to be corrected and admit I was wrong about the intent of the comment and even apologize.  If it was not to just to get a reaction what was it?
2017-10-5
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-5 18:54
Ok.  What was the goal of the comment?  Just laying it out as I see it.  I am willing to be corrected and admit I was wrong about the intent of the comment and even apologize.  If it was not to just to get a reaction what was it?

Theirs no harm in bringing these topics up as it can only be a good thing, it gives people a choice if they want to buy or not to buy. I'm glad I bought my P3P but I do sit there and wonder if the P3P goes wrong at what sort of price will it cost to fix it, and also what if problems arise when the next firmware updates happen and I know I've not dropped or crashed the aircraft and there is an internal problem that needs repairing.

I'm going with thats the chance I take and I guess I'll have to pay the price at some stage, but excellent customer service is should be at the forefront of any caring business, which I'm sure DJI are.
2017-10-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-5 14:08
This seems to be a frequent happening.  I had the same problem about a year ago. Update bricked the drone and no choice but to send it in for repair.  Was told a main board was damaged and charged $230. Drone was flying perfectly before the failed update.  Put up an argument, but to no avail.

Did they ever give you a detailed explanation of the "damage"?
I mean you imply it could not have been damaged prior as all was well from your point of view, so, could it have been damaged by the update.  I doubt they'd tell you if it was, but was wondering your thoughts on this, from that perspective.
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

Paul Tomo Posted at 2017-10-5 19:48
Theirs no harm in bringing these topics up as it can only be a good thing, it gives people a choice if they want to buy or not to buy. I'm glad I bought my P3P but I do sit there and wonder if the P3P goes wrong at what sort of price will it cost to fix it, and also what if problems arise when the next firmware updates happen and I know I've not dropped or crashed the aircraft and there is an internal problem that needs repairing.

I'm going with thats the chance I take and I guess I'll have to pay the price at some stage, but excellent customer service is should be at the forefront of any caring business, which I'm sure DJI are.

I also like the two products from DJI that I own.  I have had a couple of issues and I suspect that both were related to a software issue.  One of them was immediately after upgrading the Go 4 software and was with the GEO Fencing and unlock process.  It was with both the Spark and the Phantom Pro 4.  I suspect it was something wrong with my account that was corrected on their end because the next day after two attempts I quit getting the error code and the area was unlocked.  

When I called the support line before the problem went away the support person said they did not know what the error code was.  That was a bit troubling and the reason I joined and posted to this forum looking to see if others were having the same problem and if so a solution from other users.  That issue seemed to be unique to my drone.

The other issue I am having is with video lag on the Spark.  This issue also appeared immediately after the last series of software updates.  I have been waiting patiently for them to release the FW .700 hoping that it will fix the problem.  The video lag problem with the Spark does not appear to be unique to my drone from what I have learned on this site from other users.  I am confident that they are working on the issue but I am loosing my patience with the wait.  There has been no indication from DJI when they will release the update and i have seen a number of posts asking about the status.  Those posts seem to go unacknowledged and unanswered.  Again this is alarming.

My brief experience with after sale support and those of users I read here are also cause for concern.  I have yet to find a single post from anyone that praises the support they have received.  Not one.  Every one I have read has had some issue.  Perhaps positive posts about after purchase service and support exist but I have not found them.  I see lots of people praise the technology of DJI products but not their service and repair processes.  That really concerns and troubles me as a consumer of their products.

Just like others I think that the technology and capabilities of DJI products exceed those of any other consumer drones that I am aware of.  I love to fly them and enjoy the video they are capable of producing.  Like many other high tech devices they are complicated machines and break or have issues from time to time.  Support after the sale is one of the most important things to me as a consumer of high tech, high capability devices.  If it can't be repaired if broken or supported all the technology and capabilities are useless to me.

I am not trying to step on any toes or offend anyone.  Truth is I came to this site hoping to benefit from the experience of others in this community.  I apologize to anyone I may of offended that had an intention to help.  I do not see how telling me that DJI doesn't care about me because the business I could bring them or deny them is insignificant is intended to be helpful to me or anyone else experiencing issues with their drones and the service they are getting.  If RHP's intent was to be helpful with that comment then I apologize to him and the entire forum community.  If not well then.....
2017-10-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-5 20:59
I also like the two products from DJI that I own.  I have had a couple of issues and I suspect that both were related to a software issue.  One of them was immediately after upgrading the Go 4 software and was with the GEO Fencing and unlock process.  It was with both the Spark and the Phantom Pro 4.  I suspect it was something wrong with my account that was corrected on their end because the next day after two attempts I quit getting the error code and the area was unlocked.  

When I called the support line before the problem went away the support person said they did not know what the error code was.  That was a bit troubling and the reason I joined and posted to this forum looking to see if others were having the same problem and if so a solution from other users.  That issue seemed to be unique to my drone.

My comment wasn't meant to start any conversation.  Just stating the obvious, about the truth of the matter. Been lucky, or fortunate to have no dilemmas with my Phantom 3 Pro. Not to deny others their disparaging situations, with drones that fall far below what was fairly expected and promised.  Hopeful you all get relief with repairs or firmware fixes.
It's a free world, and their are numerous other drone manufacturers, that also provide decent and intelligent consumer, hobby grade multi rotors/models.

If you want multi rotors of much better standards, you would be spending a heck of a lot more money, for something that may even have less features.

I'm far from being a fan boy, with one DJI product, and four batteries. But we often spend as much for extras, peripheral pieces, than the drone itself cost.
I have two drone cases, Inspire harness strap, pair of Lume Cubes with Light Houses and colored filters.
Even an Extra 100W charger. ;-)
You need to prepare for anything, except rain.

Their are a lot of good people on this forum, so I'm proud to be a member, and feel like I belong.

Happy flying.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-5
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-5 21:48
My comment wasn't meant to start any conversation.  Just stating the obvious, about the truth of the matter. Been lucky, or fortunate to have no dilemmas with my Phantom 3 Pro. Not to deny others their disparaging situations, with drones that fall far below what was fairly expected and promised.  Hopeful you all get relief with repairs or firmware fixes.
It's a free world, and their are numerous other drone manufacturers, that also provide decent and intelligent consumer, hobby grade multi rotors/models.

Ok then.  Thanks for enlightening me.  All the best.
2017-10-5
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-5 21:48

As you love to quote Tim Allen ooh ooh more power!
I want one
2017-10-5
Use props
DCK
New
Flight distance : 8701 ft
United States

Just had a similar problem with my phantom 4.  The controllers stop working about 6 ft off the ground, and I could not land the drone.  It would only move up, then the return home kicked in and it landed in a river.  They've to me it was my fault and no replacement.
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for this, since the drone is out of warranty period, I am sorry to say that it can't be repaired under warranty now. Almost all the products have their own warranty, especially for the electronic products,  we hope you can understand.
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

DCK Posted at 2017-10-6 00:53
Just had a similar problem with my phantom 4.  The controllers stop working about 6 ft off the ground, and I could not land the drone.  It would only move up, then the return home kicked in and it landed in a river.  They've to me it was my fault and no replacement.

DCK, could you please provide me with your case number so I can look into it?
2017-10-6
Use props
Squidsnack
New
Ireland

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-6 02:43
Sorry for this, since the drone is out of warranty period, I am sorry to say that it can't be repaired under warranty now. Almost all the products have their own warranty, especially for the electronic products,  we hope you can understand.

This is truly abysmal customer service, your compulsory update caused a product I paid over €1300 to brick.

Please, other people who are thinking of buying a DJI product, think twice....

DJI are middle managed by 20 year olds whose only focus is numbers and the next slick product photo-shoot, they do not care about you

They are the market leader for now, but next time you do an update it could be your drone that becomes a paperweight

...think about it.
2017-10-6
Use props
Paul Tomo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Squidsnack Posted at 2017-10-6 04:14
This is truly abysmal customer service, your compulsory update caused a product I paid over €1300 to brick.

Did you say earlier that the price to repair was about £350? DJI Diane is asking for some case number or something? give it to her and see what she say's.
2017-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-5 23:01
As you love to quote Tim Allen ooh ooh more power!
I want one

Sign the cheque, pick up at next drive through window.... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-10-5 22:08
Ok then.  Thanks for enlightening me.  All the best.

Try building a drone, with all the custom features you prefer.... ;-)

There are some awesome starter kits available, to begin the journey to another plateau.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-6
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-6 16:31
Try building a drone, with all the custom features you prefer.... ;-)

There are some awesome starter kits available, to begin the journey to another plateau.

I have put together a couple of racing quads but no GPS and only FPV cameras.
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Squidsnack Posted at 2017-10-6 04:14

Sir, I do not think the issue was caused by firmware update. Please kindly offer your case number, I'll check the exact status.
2017-10-6
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24354 ft
United States

Ignoring DJI's multiple requests for your case # doesn't make your argument very strong. They can't do anything to help you if you're not willing to help yourself.
2017-10-8
Use props
Squidsnack
New
Ireland

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-6 19:37
Sir, I do not think the issue was caused by firmware uppdate. Please kindly offer your case number, I'll check the exact status.

Thanks DJI Susan, I sent in my repairs through my local drone shop, Copter Shop Ireland. I didn't revive a DJI case number but I will pm you my details (the drone shop said you will be able to trace the repair through that).
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Squidsnack Posted at 2017-10-9 03:10
Thanks DJI Susan, I sent in my repairs through my local drone shop, Copter Shop Ireland. I didn't revive a DJI case number but I will pm you my details (the drone shop said you will be able to trace the repair through that).

Sir, the case number is necessary to check the exact status. Now that the dealer has reported this in the dealer system, I believe there should be one. As you know, a dealer may have many repair cases, and it is difficult for us to pick up the right one. Hope you could understand. Please contact the dealer asap.
2017-10-9
Use props
Squidsnack
New
Ireland

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-9 05:27
Sir, the case number is necessary to check the exact status. Now that the dealer has reported this in the dealer system, I believe there should be one. As you know, a dealer may have many repair cases, and it is difficult for us to pick up the right one. Hope you could understand. Please contact the dealer asap.

I'm just waiting to hear back from the drone shop to retrieve my case number from them
2017-10-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Squidsnack Posted at 2017-10-11 03:54
I'm just waiting to hear back from the drone shop to retrieve my case number from them

Please keep us updated once you get it. We will do our best to assist.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules