RTH initiated without low batt warning
1066 5 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Hi all. I hope this is not spam as I did see it mentioned in another thread, but nothing dedicated to this issue. I think it's significant enough to warrant it's own thread.

I was flying yesterday when this issue occurred. It was my 66th flight and up to this point everything had worked perfectly. I am using an android tablet and have the latest software and firmware. I was flying very aggressively and nearing the end of the battery life. I had stopped and was hovering getting ready to land. I was expecting a low battery warning any minute and it did sound, but literally 2 seconds later I got the RTH warning and the inspire started to climb to safe altitude and head toward it's home point. ( We were filming from a moving vehicle and I had set the home point at the start of our route instead of at the controller as I should have). I stopped it and tried to fly it back to me as it was only about 30 yards away. It only seemed to respond to vertical inputs and flew into the side of a hill. ND filter broke, gimbal mount broke, gimbal arm is jammed somehow and won't rotate as it should, so I will have to send it in for repairs.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that once the auto RTH is initiated, the pilot can over-ride it and land at a location of his choice as long as there is sufficient battery. I was not able to do that. I was able to adjust altitude, but not pitch or roll. I had sight of it the entire flight and once the RTH was initiated, all I wanted to do was to stop the forward momentum and land it where it was, but I couldn't stop it. Total time between low batt alarm and auto RTH was under 5 sec. Total time from auto RTH and contact with hill under 10 sec.

Has anyone else had this issue?

DJI, does this sound like software? Battery malfunction? Could it be due to very aggressive flying?
I was at full speed with major course corrections (really pushing the envelope) for 3 min just prior to this incident. Perhaps the voltage dropped faster than the software could adjust for hence the super short notice?

Does the software track stick input, or other "black box" type of info that could help figure out what happened?

Last question: Because the camera was knocked off and the plugs pulled out, the file ended up corrupt. Anyway to save that file? I think I got some great shots and would like to salvage any of it that I can get.

Thanks for this amazing tool. It has functioned perfectly in some very challenging conditions and I can only assume that this was a result of some condition that I didn't expect or understand so I would like to get to the bottom of it so I can avoid future problems.

2015-4-7
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

photos of damage
Broken-Mount.jpg
Camera.jpg
Inspire-underside.jpg
2015-4-7
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

I looked at the manual just to confirm, if you hit the home button on the remote it should have cancelled the RTH.  I have cancelled the RTH a few times by doing this.  By just using the control sticks you are not overriding the RTH other then adjusting its path to home base.
2015-4-7
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Auto return to home because of low battery should be deleted from the software !!!
Makes no sence :@

I can return it faster and safer manually !!!
2015-4-7
Use props
ennobrett
lvl.1

Australia

Video recovery tool here

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

Sorry to hear about your crash. Did you cancel the RTH by hitting the home button?
2015-4-7
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

I looked at the manual just to confirm, if you hit the home button on the remote it should have cancelled the RTH.  I have cancelled the RTH a few times by doing this.  By just using the control sticks you are not overriding the RTH other then adjusting its path to home base.

I did, but I think it did it about 1-2 seconds before impact. I think it may have been ok if I had let it climb a bit more, but because it responded to vertical input, I was under the assumption that I was in control until it started getting closer and closer to the hill. It happened so quickly I didn't have time to do much.

Ennobrett, thanks for the link. I'll go try it now.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules