How big of an issue is the Spark fly-away problem?
23704 66 2017-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

With current prices I would say, issue is 399 US$ big. So it's very relative. For some it's monthly salary big and for some it's peanuts.
2018-2-9
Use props
Bagaswarargh
New
Indonesia

The important thing is make sure that your drone are having enough GPS to locked in home point when it taking off.
2018-2-13
Use props
Bagaswarargh
New
Indonesia

Double posted, im sorry.
2018-2-13
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Bagaswarargh Posted at 2018-2-13 23:51
The important thing is make sure that your drone are having enough GPS to locked in home point when it taking off.

IDK, of late I have had 2 short flights, lost GPS, "disconnect" warnings, and compass warnings. It was LOS both times and not distant at all, so I was able to recover the AC. These two flights happened after the latest forced update and Go 4 update. Prior to that in 3 other flights not a single problem. That was the last time I tested the craft for any distances over 500'.  I can get that on $60 toy drones.

Something is amiss with the latest FW and App. I hope they resolve it soon. I just got this in Dec, it's been bad weather, minimal good days to fly, but spring is coming soon. I won't even consider a Mavic Air until they get this bird figured out.
2018-2-14
Use props
Hfarahany
lvl.1
Norway

Since I bought my Spark two months ago, I noticed that the AC some times does not obey the commands, I was in impression that this is normal, but the problem was progressive the loss of controls became more frequent and longer each time, recently it was ending up with compass errors and loss of GPS on each flight, then I started to dig in the forums and learned to download and assess the flight details, encountered several of sensor errors which does not appear in DJI Go4 app!
It is ten days now I returned the AC for a repair, waiting to hear from them!

2018-3-1
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Not that its a lot but 44km and nearly 5 hours with non of the flyaway issues
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_f0bRZs7VA0gQ
New
New Zealand

I had a flyaway with my spark a month ago I was using an OTG cable and had 14 satellites connected. I was hovering will recording when the drone decided to fly away it did not respond to my controller and disconnected 2 seconds later it did not return to me. The battery was on 64%. I was flying the day before with a DJI Phantom 4 pro and a DJI spark lava red. we all stayed at least 30 meters away and got our recordings with no interference as I talked to both of them after. filled a claim with DJI and still have not got a clear result. I had been flying for over 120 hours and I have had no problems up until then.
2018-4-28
Use props
Kenrwi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 47674 ft
  • >>>
United States

MINE WENT AWAY WITH GPS/COMPASS ERROR CONTROLLER FAILED TO CONNECT RIGHT AFTER, RTH FAILED TO BRING IT BACK. OF COURSE WITH NO GPS ITS ATTI BUT CONTROLLER DISCONNECTED AS WELL SO JUST FLEW OFF INTO SOMEONES BACK YARD.
2018-5-2
Use props
djiuser_yJJDXl4zlM1D
New

Norway

Fly away at 68 meter hight and 36 meter distanse. It went straight to sea and drowned. First compass error, followed by gps error, and then loss of contact. No chance of Atti return. Batteri was  nearly full
2018-6-1
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

I have had a few issues when I’ve reviewed flights. One occation the spark started to behave strangely, I landed it and on reviewing the flight it seemed I’d had several weak gps warnings. As these warnings have no audio and I watch the spark more than the screen I’d not seen them.

You need to learn how it behaves and always be over cautious, land if something seems off and your drone should be fine.
2018-6-2
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

Depends on the controls at the moment and whether you are in a panic mode during a fly away
2018-6-2
Use props
Charliejspark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286654 ft
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-10-5 19:24
There have been a number of "fly aways" reported here in the forums, and in most cases we have been able to identify how the pilot contributed to the circumstances which resulted in the fly away.  Sometimes these pilots have not been happy that their contribution was evident and identified (some take it quite personal).

We have seen many cases where a pilot flies his craft out of "line of site", and then the craft loses gps and goes to atti mode.  This is a terrible situation, because if the craft loses gps the pilot's eyes become the guidance system.  No eyes on Spark, no guidance.

Well put.  
2018-6-2
Use props
StuckinNoDak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151089 ft
United States

I’m a Fly Away victim. And it wasn’t pilot error. Thankfuly DJI customer service is really good and replaced the product. But I’ve moved on to the Mavic Pro. I’m afraid to fly WiFi drones after losing the Spark.
2018-6-3
Use props
StuckinNoDak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151089 ft
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-6 00:29
If the drone malfunctions and crashes due to a manufacturer defect and you recover the drone to be sent back then this is covered by DJI's standard 12 month warranty. If you have a fly away and lose the drone (not recovered, total loss) this will not be covered by the warranty or even care refresh as it's a condition that the drone is returned for physical diagnostics. I have never experienced a fly away with any of my drones, including the Spark. Read the manuals and follow the correct calibrations, preflight checks and firmware updates, keep it in VLOS and away from electromagnetic interference and you will be fine. Fly it near pylons, telephone masts or in built up areas with heavy WiFi noise and you may experience the pain of watching £500 disappear in front of your eyes and beyond your control. It seems the fly away issue has been settled down a lot with recent firmware updates but in the majority of cases, it is caused by pilot error and individuals not preparing the drone or themselves properly for flight.

This is not always true. I couldn’t find my drone and DJI sent a replacement.  I provided them with all information a person possibly could.
2018-6-3
Use props
tim-eb61
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5714318 ft
United Kingdom

My Spark sometimes drops into Atti mode and there's the mad scrabble to regain control, but I always fly away from built up areas, like open fields where I have a good line of sight for at least a mile in each direction. It's never flown away.
2018-6-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StuckinNoDak Posted at 2018-6-3 20:30
This is not always true. I couldn’t find my drone and DJI sent a replacement.  I provided them with all information a person possibly could.

I've quoted the official line from DJI on their own warranty agreement. If they make further arrangements then that is on an individual case by case basis which they legally do not have to do. What I have written is totally true in terms of the black and white small print. Thanks.
2018-6-3
Use props
djiuser_DgOljZZnPOzQ
lvl.1

Yesterday. I took off from a sidewalk 25 feet above Commencement Bay. I wanted to video some sailboats.
5 seconds into the flight, the Spark kicked into RTH and began descending. I tried to gain altitude, but nothing happened. It hit the guardrail and fell into the water.
2018-7-18
Use props
djiuser_DgOljZZnPOzQ
lvl.1

Yesterday. I took off from a sidewalk 25 feet above Commencement Bay. I wanted to video some sailboats.
5 seconds into the flight, the Spark kicked into RTH and began descending. I tried to gain altitude, but nothing happened. It hit the guardrail and fell into the water.
2018-7-18
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

The REAL ISSUE now is that the fly-away issues during the time of the OP ARE NOT THE SAME issues seen today.
The fly-away issues of firmware 0.0600 have been solved.
There are already other, more recent posts about compass error, YAW error and speed error that this thread has become invalid.
Please find and use those threads to discuss TODAY's fly-away issues.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans54e242c1
New
Flight distance : 19259 ft
South Africa

lauspark Posted at 2017-12-26 12:51
It happened to me yesterday , I had the spark for 6 months and have been very happy with it. But yester I had the same problem with compass and gps signal and couldn’t control and flew away. I have contacted dji and gave them all the information they asked for and hopefully they will give me a new one , I even bought the dji care

Mine also flew away. Did you get a new one?
2018-9-11
Use props
Whirligig-09
lvl.1
United States

Just ordered a Spark. Already have the Mavic, but mot much flight time on the bird. Reading the "possible issues" makes you very cautious. I  am hearing about batteries falling off as much as any other problems.  Happy Flying......
2019-1-5
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

fans1af1a0a5 Posted at 2018-2-9 11:25
Which firmware version is most stable?

My aircraft is very stable on the current version.
2019-1-5
Use props
djiuser_k6jb2yANfHnd
lvl.1

South Africa

Please guyse don't do the same mistake I did I fly my dji spark with my fone only baught the drone with no remote u use xiamie wifi extander get almost 100 meters then a warning off to much wifi interference I look down my fone to land when I look up I see there she goes there were trees she went over the trees was quite far the time got to the trees she's gone fly saterday look whole Sunday for her she's gon for good R3000 in south africa money fly away I can c now why they say u must have a remote now don't have money to buy other 1 my heart is saw just wanna cry I don't earn much so please rather wait until got money to buy drone with remote that's what I'm gonna do
2020-8-9
Use props
CarlosFelipe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5358 ft
France

Bright Spark Posted at 2018-1-27 11:05
Well not so good. Sorry for loss.
But generally flyaway problems are the most feared I think.
GPS moving on water is new to me. I need an expert to comment.

I have often flown over water. The drone behaves sometimes erratic if flown over a river, swimming pool with clear water, lake with clean and transparent water and only if it is in the
Opti mode range. If I fly over water and above 25 ft, the drone poses no problem to me.
2020-8-12
Use props
Martyzion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

50 flights so far and no flyaway.  I have experienced flyaways with FPV drones and every time it came down to cockpit error.   Flying over water can be tricky, on a real hot day the downdrafts can dunk your craft.
2020-8-18
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

Yes it definitely is. With all drones it is. Most flyaways happen via a compass, gps, or imu problem. I have a detailed articulations explaining imu, gps, and compass problems and how to fix/prevent them. This will greatly reduce your chance of one happening.
2020-8-19
Use props
Sparkflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194619 ft

United States

Yes it definitely is. With all drones it is. Most flyaways happen via a compass, gps, or imu problem. I have a detailed articulations explaining imu, gps, and compass problems and how to fix/prevent them. This will greatly reduce your chance of one happening. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D580%26typeid%3D580
2020-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules