RTFM ... and help !
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

So often new owners come on and want answers ....

So often the reply is : Read the Manual.

Yes - that's a correct reply - but of little help to new owners who probably :

a) Haven't downloaded the manual
b) Want simple answer spoon fed to them.
c) Like many - have aversion to wading through manuals

Personally - I like the approach where an answer is supplied to get new owner up and running AND suggestion to down load the manual for reading / reference.

Why ? Too often - manuals do not cover all items / scenarios and even if they touch on it - often are vague or insufficient in the detail. Owners experience to add to the manual info is invaluable, getting new owners and even some of the 'old hands' acquainted with the matter.

Just my thoughts ...

Nigel
2017-10-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Nigel,

Hopefully something like that will happen in the near future, like maybe a contributors manual for each product.  It makes sense and has a lot of potential.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-6
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Being that these UAVs are quite capable, powerful, and extremely complicated it makes it necessary and important that the owners become fully informed about their workings and operation.  That said, most agree the manuals that DJI put out are lacking in detail, schematics, and technical parameters, they also lack the simplest of definitions for many of the key technical terms.  Even though the manuals could use a lot more information added to them and better organization, it does not negate the necessity for owners to review and read them.  

Too many these days have a general attitude about using technology.  They have been conditioned to expect that new technology will be intuitive and come with quick start guides and/or built in one or two sentence popup tutorials that occur as they dive in to their new device.  They want it to be plug and play literally.  While this is not the best way to learn technical equipment, it’s the way they want it to be.  

However, when you add in the spectrum of flight operations along with the need for UAV owners to be knowledgeable about how to operate the equipment it complicates the effort for them exponentially.  Without having an instructor or going to ground school, they are left to learn it all on their own.  While these drones are very simple to fly, this forum clearly demonstrates that they are not that simple to operate.  There are many nuances about flying that the manuals do not begin to cover, one being the weather environment.  

Therefore, yes, it would be extremely helpful if owners would read their manuals first before coming here and asking simple questions that can be easily answered in their manual.  However, as I noted that is not going to happen, too bad.  That said, it is helpful if the folks here that do know what they are talking about can provide the assistance when they can without being condescending or belittling it is BS and not helpful when they are.  If they do not like a question leave it alone and let someone else answer, if they don't like a thread don't read it.  Both sides need to consider their responsibilities and use common sense when approaching these expensive and complicated matters.  It would also be helpful if we had DJI technical reps that would come on here to help fill in some of these missing links and key details from time to time.  However, it appears that that will not be happening, and the mods are not techno savvy enough about many of these issues.
2017-10-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

My starting the thread is prompted by the repeated snarky posts by some ... telling new owners to read the manual without any other help.

I also advise read the manual - but in addition try to provide an answer or reference to aid the new owner to quickly solve his question.

I agree that todays society has created a Plug And Play situation that creates its own problems. Once a person has to step outside of PnP - they grab for the forum and keyboard.

That's where we have to be careful and serve up suitable replies without just saying ... RTFM !!

Yes - expecting DJI Technical Staff to come on here and answer is a forlorn hope. And I can honestly say that given the emails I have received from various in the past - they don't agree within DJI with each other !! I had long comms about batterys .... in the end I stripped a battery to get the answers !!

As I learn - and no matter who we are - we are all still learning ... I feel it a duty to pass on to others. Making our enjoyment of the hobby greater.

If I can save one Phantom from mishap ... its worth it ...

Nigel
2017-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think RTFM is not a helpful answer on its own, if the problem is not covered by the manual then the ignorance is on the part of those who submit the answer.

I’m sure I’m like a lot of noobies I read the manual when starting but I didn’t necessarily study or fully understand the manual this came later.

But when you give an answer that is already in the manual it’s always good to point this out as I believe it will help those users to recheck your answer for confirmation and also gets them used to using the manual as a continuing reference, which will be of great benefit to them going forward.

No questions should be seen as trivial and I don’t believe anyone puts a question forward that isn’t important to them.

“The wrong man is not always wrong because of his wrong actions, often he is wrong because of no actions.”
2017-10-6
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-6 04:58
I think RTFM is not a helpful answer on its own, if the problem is not covered by the manual then the ignorance is on the part of those who submit the answer.

I’m sure I’m like a lot of noobies I read the manual when starting but I didn’t necessarily study or fully understand the manual this came later.

I totally agree with all of your comments. We have all witnessed the bashing by some forum users when a question is thrown out there that has been discussed before. The new users don't know this, and we should all remember we were new at one time. The forum is here to support however you can, and  even if your input may not be spot-on, most are trying to help I think. As new technology makes it easier for almost anyone to purchase one of these products and with little effort be up in the air, it is important to understand these are very complicated devices. Most users would rather not take the time to read a manual if they can get their aircraft up in the air so easily.

Thanks to Nigel for creating this reminder for all of us. We all obviously enjoy this sport, and are glad to share our experiences with everyone else....good or bad. My hat is off to all of you that are willing to continue to help those in need. I know I will never discourage anyone from asking a question no matter what. There isn't a wrong question in my mind if you don't know the answer. Most come here with searching for an answer to a problem they have had. Let's continue to be supportive and polite.
2017-10-6
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Yeah... it takes some experience to put the manual into proper perspective.  It's almost always correct, but it takes hands on experience to understand WHY it's correct and when it should be applied.  It is frustrating because the answers are there, but understanding it is more than just an academic exercise
2017-10-6
Use props
allyssongemelli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

At least I think we should as drone owner knows the specs and operation though the manual. I know that it doesn't cover everything, but with this information it allow you to discover things to put and face the fabricant with some future issues.

But the idea that a contribution manual would be great.
2017-10-6
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-6 06:58
Yeah... it takes some experience to put the manual into proper perspective.  It's almost always correct, but it takes hands on experience to understand WHY it's correct and when it should be applied.  It is frustrating because the answers are there, but understanding it is more than just an academic exercise

You are absolutely correct. Although everyone should take the time to try and read the manual before they fly, it usually doesn't happen most of the time. And to your point, yes the material is sometimes hard to understand. I know myself I read it several times and picked up new things each time through. But, DJI could be better at how things are explained, and I would hope they take some of the forums suggestions and implement them, but doubtful the pay much attention to it. We have to remember they are in another country, but selling all over the world. Again, the reason why the forums are a great place to get answers for all types of questions. Sure there are no DJI techs here to answer, and I doubt we will ever see that, but just about every situation has probably been had by someone on here. That in itself is a tremendous resource of information.
2017-10-6
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-10-6 08:11
You are absolutely correct. Although everyone should take the time to try and read the manual before they fly, it usually doesn't happen most of the time. And to your point, yes the material is sometimes hard to understand. I know myself I read it several times and picked up new things each time through. But, DJI could be better at how things are explained, and I would hope they take some of the forums suggestions and implement them, but doubtful the pay much attention to it. We have to remember they are in another country, but selling all over the world. Again, the reason why the forums are a great place to get answers for all types of questions. Sure there are no DJI techs here to answer, and I doubt we will ever see that, but just about every situation has probably been had by someone on here. That in itself is a tremendous resource of information.

It's true, I don't see the engineers here, I have found the MOD's to be helpful, informative, honest and able to escalate things when needed.  
2017-10-6
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I am really happy to see the content of posts above. I am glad that my 'prompt' has created good output.

For the new owner - no question is stupid if he doesn't know the answer.

Nigel
2017-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules