16696 27 2017-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9037f8fe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246250 ft
Cyprus

Hi all,
After my last successful flight, my inspire 1 was packed for 3 months. Decided a few days ago to take it out of its case and update it to the latest version. However, it wouldnt come out of travel mode, no matter how many times I tried.
So, I decided to carry on with the update exiting ofcourse from travel mode (the landing gear remained stuck but the blue led was off) . I attached the camera by putting the bird in bettween 2 chairs. The update was successful and the I updated the RC. Again, communication bettween bird and RC was ok but the landing gear remeined stuck....
After searching the forum and reading similar problems and advises, I tried to move it manually with a screwdriver. The landing gear then moved to all positions very smoothly but wouldnt do so via RC.
I packed it again, and today I decided to try again without any success... Then I tried the screwdriver method but wasnt moving and was really stuck like the screw was glued... After powering it a few times on and off, the screw then unstuck and was able to manually move the gear, but no way being able to move via RC. Note that every time I was trying to move the gear via RC either by the software or by the RC button I could hear the servo on the inspire working and the led light exiting blue or entering as it should be.
Any help guys?

Thanks in advance,
Alex
2017-10-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, was this happening before updating anything or was it after updating the RC first?
2017-10-6
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like the bearing at the bottom of the worm drive is stuck. Maybe rusted or full of sand /dirt.
Also check to make sure LG motor is plugged in.
V.jpg
2017-10-6
Use props
AlexisCY
lvl.1
Cyprus

This happened before the update. After my last successful flight packed it for a couple of months  then I decided to update and it wouldn’t come out of  travel mode.
As for the cables I have checked them and they seem to be ok. I would agree with the sand/dirt or rust but since it turns fine with the screwdriver i don’t think that’s the problem.
2017-10-6
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

You were on a smooth level surface when trying to put the Aircraft into travel mode correct ?  does the gear work normally when raising or lowering the gear for flight .  If it does you can more than likely eliminate the servo or the gear as a source of the problem .  But if the Gear does not go smoothly up or down then thats the problem.
*** I f you were trying to get travel mode OUT between the chairs that wont work.  MUST be on HARD LEVEL SURFACE, a hardwood floor works best in my opinion.

donnie
2017-10-7
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlexisCY Posted at 2017-10-6 23:49
This happened before the update. After my last successful flight packed it for a couple of months  then I decided to update and it wouldn’t come out of  travel mode.
As for the cables I have checked them and they seem to be ok. I would agree with the sand/dirt or rust but since it turns fine with the screwdriver i don’t think that’s the problem.

Donnie is correct......if you try to do it on, lets say, a carpet or grass,  the sensors on the bottom of the inspire will get confused and not engage/get out of travel mode.  
It must be on a hard smooth surface to activate/de-activate travel mode.
2017-10-7
Use props
AlexisCY
lvl.1
Cyprus

Yes all of my attempts were on a hard level surface
I can hear the servo working/making a noise  every time i try to lower or raise the legs without any movement on the main screw. Should I take out the servo and check if the gear turns when I give the  command ? I will also make a short video maybe someone with more experience than me could tell from the noise
2017-10-7
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

AlexisCY Posted at 2017-10-7 08:33
I can hear the servo working/making a noise  every time i try to lower or raise the legs without any movement on the main screw. Should I take out the servo and check if the gear turns when I give the  command ? I will also make a short video maybe someone with more experience than me could tell from the noise

So will it raise and lower in flight normally ?
Does the AC work otherwsie ?  You can start the motors and fly if you wanted to??  Granted with the gear stuck down I woul assume . This is improtant to know .

donnie

If NO then the Servo more than likely has failed, Inspect the mesh of the gear by lifting the boot and see if there are pieces of the gear or if the mesh is to tight , add a drop of lube if you can then work it in by manually working the gear up and down.
Proper way to lower and raise  manually here :

Instructions on How to:  Landing Gear Manual Raising and Lowering.

donnie

2017-10-8
Use props
simonm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 406886 ft
United Kingdom

AlexisCY Posted at 2017-10-7 08:33

Alex, I have a similar problem with my I1.

Everything was fine when I last used it a couple of months' ago but the landing gear just isn't responding now. I can hear the motor turning when I try to go in/out of travel mode but the legs don't move. They move easily when I use a screwdriver to turn the worm gear manually so nothing is seized.

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this problem with your Inspire as it seems I may have to replace the center frame assembly which is fairly expensive.

Thanks,

Simon M
2017-11-14
Use props
TruGreen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

simonm Posted at 2017-11-14 06:24
Alex, I have a similar problem with my I1.

Everything was fine when I last used it a couple of months' ago but the landing gear just isn't responding now. I can hear the motor turning when I try to go in/out of travel mode but the legs don't move. They move easily when I use a screwdriver to turn the worm gear manually so nothing is seized.

fairly Expensive and not easy to change. literally EVERYTHING is built on and around it
2017-11-14
Use props
Videophotog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4313976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ever get this fixed?
2018-5-10
Use props
kefirmarket
New
Flight distance : 134357 ft
Turkey

any news ?
I have the same problem. After 4 months not flying LG is not moving.
I hear the sound of the LG motor, but it s not turning the big shaft.
As I saw on youtube the motor is working but the gear on the motors shaft is loose.
So is a repair possible? Fixing the gear to the motor?
2018-8-7
Use props
fans20fd8cdb
New
Flight distance : 57566 ft
Saint Lucia

I have the exact same issue. Any solutions yet?
2019-1-11
Use props
fansecae48f4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 162785 ft
  • >>>
Costa Rica

Any update on this? I have the same issue after not using my inspire 1 for some months
2019-4-19
Use props
fans4921f63c
lvl.1

United States

Same issue. Any solutions?
2019-4-27
Use props
fans4921f63c
lvl.1

United States

Same issue. Any solutions?
2019-4-27
Use props
OleBrown55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 340397 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same problem with my Inspire 1.  Now 'fixed'.  I took apart the aircraft so that I could get to the landing gear retract motor and shaft for inspection.  I too found that the tiny brass gear that is supposed to be fixed to the gear shaft was spinning freely.  These parts are too small for me to make a key way, or even a set screw.  After consideration, decided to use use JB Weld.  I first roughed up the shaft using a Dremel grinder and a small drill bit for the inside of the gear.  This shaft is 1.6 MM diameter, so not many options.  I then cleaned the surface with Acetone.  Using a tooth pick, I carefully mixed and applied the epoxy to the shaft, set the gear on it and allowed it to fully cure.  After reassembly, testing and flying, no issues.  I get no guaranties, so I found and ordered a "DJI Inspire 1 Part 2 -Middle/Center Frame Component Assembly For DJI Drone Inspire 1 /1 V2.0 /1 Pro".  I have now received the DJI replacement part, pictured below, and can implement if my epoxy job fails.

Inspire 1 Landing Gear Motor gear

Inspire 1 Landing Gear Motor gear
DJI Part #2A.png
2019-5-6
Use props
Norb_T
lvl.1
Flight distance : 299593 ft
United States

OleBrown55 Posted at 5-6 04:09
Same problem with my Inspire 1.  Now 'fixed'.  I took apart the aircraft so that I could get to the landing gear retract motor and shaft for inspection.  I too found that the tiny brass gear that is supposed to be fixed to the gear shaft was spinning freely.  These parts are too small for me to make a key way, or even a set screw.  After consideration, decided to use use JB Weld.  I first roughed up the shaft using a Dremel grinder and a small drill bit for the inside of the gear.  This shaft is 1.6 MM diameter, so not many options.  I then cleaned the surface with Acetone.  Using a tooth pick, I carefully mixed and applied the epoxy to the shaft, set the gear on it and allowed it to fully cure.  After reassembly, testing and flying, no issues.  I get no guaranties, so I found and ordered a "DJI Inspire 1 Part 2 -Middle/Center Frame Component Assembly For DJI Drone Inspire 1 /1 V2.0 /1 Pro".  I have not seen this yet, may never need it, but it should have the components included, if my epoxy job fails.

Thanks for posting this.  I believe I have a similar issue as the landing gear will not retract for travel or flight.
2019-5-6
Use props
OleBrown55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 340397 ft
  • >>>
United States

Norb_T Posted at 5-6 14:41
Thanks for posting this.  I believe I have a similar issue as the landing gear will not retract for travel or flight.

You are welcome, apparently it is a rather common problem.  I think that moving forward, if I don't fly mine for an extended period, I may manually get it started by turning drive shaft with a screwdriver to ease the tendency for it to get stuck in a locked condition.
2019-5-7
Use props
Jessandted
New
Flight distance : 390 ft

United Kingdom

Same problem with my Inspire 1.  Now 'fixed'.  I took apart the aircraft so that I could get to the landing gear retract motor and shaft for inspection.  I too found that the tiny brass gear that is supposed to be fixed to the gear shaft was spinning freely.  These parts are too small for me to make a key way, or even a set screw.  After consideration, decided to use use JB Weld.  I first roughed up the shaft using a Dremel grinder and a small drill bit for the inside of the gear.  This shaft is 1.6 MM diameter, so not many options.  I then cleaned the surface with Acetone.  Using a tooth pick, I carefully mixed and applied the epoxy to the shaft, set the gear on it and allowed it to fully cure.  After reassembly, testing and flying, no issues.  I get no guaranties, so I found and ordered a "DJI Inspire 1 Part 2 -Middle/Center Frame Component Assembly For DJI Drone Inspire 1 /1 V2.0 /1 Pro".  I have now received the DJI replacement part, pictured below, and can implement if my epoxy job fails.

Hi, did repair hold? Just happened to mine that’s always kept in case in dry summerhouse and gear lays raised on case (plastic low resistance) did you get gear from Aliexpress or dji? Regards, Alex
2019-6-30
Use props
Jessandted
New
Flight distance : 390 ft

United Kingdom

Same problem with my Inspire 1.  Now 'fixed'.  I took apart the aircraft so that I could get to the landing gear retract motor and shaft for inspection.  I too found that the tiny brass gear that is supposed to be fixed to the gear shaft was spinning freely.  These parts are too small for me to make a key way, or even a set screw.  After consideration, decided to use use JB Weld.  I first roughed up the shaft using a Dremel grinder and a small drill bit for the inside of the gear.  This shaft is 1.6 MM diameter, so not many options.  I then cleaned the surface with Acetone.  Using a tooth pick, I carefully mixed and applied the epoxy to the shaft, set the gear on it and allowed it to fully cure.  After reassembly, testing and flying, no issues.  I get no guaranties, so I found and ordered a "DJI Inspire 1 Part 2 -Middle/Center Frame Component Assembly For DJI Drone Inspire 1 /1 V2.0 /1 Pro".  I have now received the DJI replacement part, pictured below, and can implement if my epoxy job fails.

Hi, did repair hold? Just happened to mine that’s always kept in case in dry summerhouse and gear lays raised on case (plastic low resistance)  Regards, Alex
2019-6-30
Use props
djiuser_AZPosvBJa1Og
New

United States

I'm having the same problem with my inspire 1.
After a month sitting the landing gear won't go up or down.
I have lubed it, manually moved it up and down and cleaned and checked all the connections but still not working.
Does anyone know the voltage of the landing gear motor?
I would like to hook it up to a battery to see if the motor is burned out.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2020-9-12
Use props
StewEdwards
New
United Kingdom

Another person with the same issue.
Took the DJI Inspire 1 out after  long break, it was stored in the travel mode
Gear travelled down and flew fine but gear would not raise so continued flying with gear down, no problem.
Manually retracted gear with screwdriver, all smooth and left gear in the up position with gear selected up on the controller.
Powered up craft and gear travelled down smoothly without any selection being made, will not travel up although motor runs and green Landing Gear Up message on controller.
Anybody know what is going on here, it will travel down but remains down when selected up.
Kind regards
2021-5-31
Use props
djiuser_ewkGuFbA992a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72110 ft
Suriname

Hi i have a inspire 1 and the landing gear does not react automaticly. I have to give it a push or turn it a bit with a srewdriver. Can ony body tell me what the problem is.
2021-7-7
Use props
djiuser_ewkGuFbA992a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72110 ft
Suriname

Hi i have a inspire 1 and the landing gear does not react automaticly. I have to give it a push or turn it a bit with a srewdriver. Can ony body tell me what the problem is. .
2021-7-7
Use props
fanscff2105d
New

United Kingdom

Hi, My landing gear is also faulty. Greased regularly behind the gator. Removed servo and the tiny brass toothed cog is free spinning on shaft of motor. Ive applied glue as best I can and awaiting testing. Can I buy just the servo head? which includes the electronics etc, I don't want to buy the whole frame assy as mine is fine, oiled and no dirt.

Thanks
2021-8-4
Use props
Codywilson76
lvl.1
United States

Ugh.  Had mine stored in a sealed pelican case for a few years while I had kids, got a new job, and moved twice.  Got some drone work- took her out for a spin after a quick firmware update and the gear wouldn't come down.  After a very stressful landing in the grass, on top of my camera I can hear the motor turning but I suspect I have the same problem as everyone else- the drive gear is slipping on the shaft. I used the manual standard screwdriver trick to lower the gear- man was it tight! I could hear the gear train spinning as i turned the screwdriver.
Then I tried it with the drone on and same result- spinning motor and no movement.

Edit- found a video on fixing the brass drive gear on the servo motor. Not excited about tearing this thing down.
2022-3-28
Use props
fansc8b60871
lvl.1

United States

Codywilson76 Posted at 3-28 17:26
Ugh.  Had mine stored in a sealed pelican case for a few years while I had kids, got a new job, and moved twice.  Got some drone work- took her out for a spin after a quick firmware update and the gear wouldn't come down.  After a very stressful landing in the grass, on top of my camera I can hear the motor turning but I suspect I have the same problem as everyone else- the drive gear is slipping on the shaft. I used the manual standard screwdriver trick to lower the gear- man was it tight! I could hear the gear train spinning as i turned the screwdriver.
Then I tried it with the drone on and same result- spinning motor and no movement.

Do you where I can also find that video?
2022-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules