P3 Lost video on SD card, but video showed up in editor?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
njalex
lvl.2
United States

Hello, something peculiar happened today with my Phantom 3 4K. I went out and recorded some footage of my friend flying his RC plane and was planning on making it into a YouTube video. However, when I went to extract the file from the SD card onto my PC, the video was not there! I was very dissapointed. Later, to make sure my Phantom was not having problems, I did a quick, 9 second test video (the video saved to the SD card just fine, so my drone is OK). But what happened that was weird, was when I went into the editor on DJI Go, the video I recorded earlier in the day showed up!!! I was wondering, where is this file saved (its not on the SD card), and how can I save the file and get it onto my PC? (I would preferably want the video in its original, 1080p 60 FPS format, and not in a downgraded quality).

Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks!

2017-10-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Firstly, please cut all the visible files and paste on your PC. Then check the remaining size of the SD card. If there are still large contents on it, then the video might still reserve on the SD card, please let me know if this is your case, some related screenshots are highly appreciated. If the SD card is almost empty after files are all cut, then the video might not reserve on the SD card, then you might need to format the SD card. Or change another SD card if the issue occurs again.
2017-10-8
Use props
njalex
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-8 00:45
Firstly, please cut all the visible files and paste on your PC. Then check the remaining size of the SD card. If there are still large contents on it, then the video might still reserve on the SD card, please let me know if this is your case, some related screenshots are highly appreciated. If the SD card is almost empty after files are all cut, then the video might not reserve on the SD card, then you might need to format the SD card. Or change another SD card if the issue occurs again.

Hello, sorry I did not get back to you before. After wiping the card (a 60 gb micro SD), there is 768kb remaining on it. I do not believe that this is enough to show that there was any file on the card, meaning the video never was written to the card. But then why did it show up on my phone?

I think I'm just going to accept that it was unfortuante that I lost the video, and I'm going to format the card to make sure this doesn't happen again. Since the test video last night did save, I'm not worried about my Phantom 3, I know it is working properly.
2017-10-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

njalex Posted at 2017-10-8 13:12
Hello, sorry I did not get back to you before. After wiping the card (a 60 gb micro SD), there is 768kb remaining on it. I do not believe that this is enough to show that there was any file on the card, meaning the video never was written to the card. But then why did it show up on my phone?

I think I'm just going to accept that it was unfortuante that I lost the video, and I'm going to format the card to make sure this doesn't happen again. Since the test video last night did save, I'm not worried about my Phantom 3, I know it is working properly.

The best way is to copy off any video clips or photos after you return home from a flight, then place the SD card back in the aircraft and format it using the function in the GO App. The aircraft places a lot of hidden files on the card, this is why you could see 768Kb showing up. A format clears the card completely.
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

njalex Posted at 2017-10-8 13:12

It might because the SD card didn't work properly, and you have enabled "Cache During Video Shooting", so the footage will store on the app in a cache version. It's a pity that the previous video is lost, and I am glad to hear that it gets back to work now. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.
2017-10-10
Use props
njalex
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-10 00:14
It might because the SD card didn't work properly, and you have enabled "Cache During Video Shooting", so the footage will store on the app in a cache version. It's a pity that the previous video is lost, and I am glad to hear that it gets back to work now. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.

Thanks. I gave up on the video, but I'm glad that there is nothing wrong with the drone. I flew it today and recorded some footage, and it came out great, just as it should. I am still very satisfied with my Phantom 3, hopefully this was just a once in a while glitch.
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

njalex Posted at 2017-10-14 13:14
Thanks. I gave up on the video, but I'm glad that there is nothing wrong with the drone. I flew it today and recorded some footage, and it came out great, just as it should. I am still very satisfied with my Phantom 3, hopefully this was just a once in a while glitch.

Good to know. Let me know if there is any other need. Have a nice day.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi njalex, I came back again, and we would like to know more details about this situation. Would you mind providing us with a screenshot of the catalogue structure of DCIM folder and upload the MISC hidden directory zip files to Dropbox and PM me the link, our engineers want to figure it out. Appreciate your assistance.
2017-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules