DJI, it’s time to own up to the crappy FW
1395 14 2017-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

Installing the latest FW approx a month ago, has introduced nothing but problems on my P3P.
I’ll keep it short, and share my experience from today only:

The P3P still has horizon tilt problem.
The map data sometimes loads, sometimes not.
Out of nowhere, my Phantom decides that the RC suddenly needs an update...why?

I drive to a new location...only 4 miles away. And 15 mins later:
The bird decides that I now have an IMU error - calibration required.
I give up - drive home - and post this.

DJI: fix the firmware already, will ya’?
Prior to the latest build, I had zero problems

Mike
2017-10-8
Use props
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

quadpilot Posted at 2017-10-8 04:36
why did you do an update after seeing problems some members are having

Had I browsed the forums, I probably wouldn’t have done the update.
But that’s not the point.

My car also have...let’s just call it firmware updates...to the engine once or twice a year. Optimizations, fixing small errors etc. I always do the updates with my dealership. I trust the manufactor, that the car is still working, and that it doesn’t break down, suddenly causing accidents etc.

DJI has the same responsibility with their products imo.
You’re saying you are ok with faulty fw?
I dont get that...at all!
2017-10-8
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing wrong here works just fine so its well done with the update DJI - from me, wished we heard more from the people who have a good experience and shout a bit louder about it  
2017-10-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Mike65 : Car updates ? I own a number of vehicles and none have updates !

Please what car do you have ?

Nigel
2017-10-8
Use props
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-8 08:27
Mike65 : Car updates ? I own a number of vehicles and none have updates !

Please what car do you have ?

Nothing fancy, but it is a 2016, 100 Hk, Fiat Punto. Had it for 18 months, and Fiat has issued 2 updates to the engine...chip(?)...that my dealer installed. I know next to nothing about autos, just drive it:-)
2017-10-8
Use props
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

quadpilot Posted at 2017-10-8 11:55
don't think i mentioned anything about faulty F/W
what i said is why did you update it. you should as you say of read the forum
but then again others have updated and had no problems what version f.w did you update from

Quadpilot...

Not trying to start an argument.
I just wanted to point out, that it should be safe to upgrade, without having to research or wait for feedback from fellow users - whether or not they have a brick on their hands after updating.

I’m not an experienced drone-owner. So I have updated each and everytime DJI released a new update. Just to be safe. Or so I thought. I can accept the fact, that the odd user will encounter problems...after all its complicated equipment with many parts, hardware, software, mechanics, 3rd party devices etc...

But! I dont think its fair to leave so many users hanging. The P4 owners are even worse off, it seems.
The car analogy: if my car acts up, the dealer will take care of it under warranty...
If I buy a new tv, or a toaster and it doesn’t work, I’ll return it...and so on.

DJI seems to just not care...or even acknowledge, that their fw leaves 1000’s of users with problems. Hence my topic title...

Mike
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mike, I do not think that your issue is related with the firmware update directly. Let's sort out the issue one by one.

1. For the tilt issue. please try to calibrate gimbal camera.
2. Please be more specific of your map issue, we 'd like to help.
3. You can check the firmware version in ABOUT. You can check the release note here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... +Release+Notes_.pdf
4. Please calibrate IMU when the error message appears. It will be helpful to get rid of this.
2017-10-8
Use props
Mike65
lvl.1

Denmark

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-8 22:56
Mike, I do not think that your issue is related with the firmware update directly. Let's sort out the issue one by one.

1. For the tilt issue. please try to calibrate gimbal camera.

Thanks, will try that. Should I consider the "cooling down the drone-tips" before calibrating the IMU?
Please have patience though - I am swamped at work atm...

Thanks )
2017-10-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have had some issues with DJI's way of updating. My P3S was dead for days till one day it just took the retry of FW and kicked in.

My P3P died and had to be resuscitated by DJI ...

Yes - I agree that the update method sucks at times ... compared to when I update Flight Controllers / Gyros / Stabilizers in many of my other RC models - DJI has a long way to go to match the reliability of updating.

I updated my P3P yesterday from 1.10.09 to 1.11.20 ... and so far all appears OK.

Nigel
2017-10-9
Use props
Vtr_Racing
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95407 ft

United States

I calibrate the compass everytime I go to a new area to fly.. That clears the IMU error.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mike65 Posted at 2017-10-9 03:42
Thanks, will try that. Should I consider the "cooling down the drone-tips" before calibrating the IMU?
Please have patience though - I am swamped at work atm...

Cooling down the drone will be helpful to IMU calibration. It takes some time to get the result. Please keep us posted of the latest progress.
2017-10-12
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Vtr_Racing Posted at 2017-10-9 21:55
I calibrate the compass everytime I go to a new area to fly.. That clears the IMU error.

Unless there is a significant distance between flight sites - calibration of compass should not be necessary.
Quite often the 'message' pops up because of local interference that is not enough to trigger Interference problems - but enough to make GO show a comment in the first general initialisation screen ... I get this quite often - but after a second or so when all has settled - it goes away and all is fine. I tap out of that overall 'assessment' screen to the video display ...

Nigel
2017-10-12
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-12 03:25
Unless there is a significant distance between flight sites - calibration of compass should not be necessary.
Quite often the 'message' pops up because of local interference that is not enough to trigger Interference problems - but enough to make GO show a comment in the first general initialisation screen ... I get this quite often - but after a second or so when all has settled - it goes away and all is fine. I tap out of that overall 'assessment' screen to the video display ...

On my P3P i have AC 1.11.20  RC 1.9.2  APP 3.1.15 (updated a few months ago) and its all good.
2017-10-12
Use props
Chris Askren
New
United States

Mike65 Posted at 2017-10-8 07:22
Had I browsed the forums, I probably wouldn’t have done the update.
But that’s not the point.

As to the newest update, and previous forum reviews, I followed the request fro DJI to update the FW prior to flying which was done.  As stated, prior to the latest update, I had never had any issues of any kind.  Prior to the latest update, neither had I read any forums concerning issues others apparently were having with their systems or operational issues with their drones.
2017-10-12
Use props
fans226a5643
New
Australia

I'm having the same issue.
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules