Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When should you Calibrate the Compass?
2372 8 2017-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stenk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13451 ft
New Zealand

Hi guys,

Just a question on when I should calibrate the compass. Should I do this every new area I fly or only when it tells me?

There have been a few videos on youtube saying that you should calibrate every new area you fly.

Just want to know what you guys do. I can't afford to have this thing crash or flyaway so want to make sure I do everything in preflight that I can to avoid any issues.
2017-10-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You don’t need to calibrate your compass unless prompted whether you travel 5 miles or a thousand miles, you will read this in your manual, and if it looks like it’s telling you to calibrate don’t move from the area your in and this should sort your compass.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

What type of aircraft are you flying? Mostly you should calibrate the compass when prompted to do so. However, it can be a point of conjecture. Therefore consider calibrating if you are getting unusual readings or getting a magnetic interference.  
2017-10-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-9 12:23
What type of aircraft are you flying? Mostly you should calibrate the compass when prompted to do so. However, it can be a point of conjecture. Therefore consider calibrating if you are getting unusual readings or getting a magnetic interference.

If you getting magnetic interference you should move your AC, it tells you this in your telemetry and also tells you this in your manual.
2017-10-9
Use props
stenk
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-9 12:23

Thanks for the reply. I have a DJI Spark.

Absolutely love this thing but I have not built up enough courage to let the Spark out of my sight.

Preflight I make sure I have GOOD GPS signal and check WIFI channels and sensors IMU and compass. Make sure they are in the GREEN. This only takes a minute so not a big deal, but if it's better to calibrate every new area then I can do that as well.  
2017-10-9
Use props
stenk
lvl.3
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-9 12:23
You don’t need to calibrate your compass unless prompted whether you travel 5 miles or a thousand miles, you will read this in your manual, and if it looks like it’s telling you to calibrate don’t move from the area your in and this should sort your compass.

Thanks hallmark007. So many differing views online. Will do what the manual states.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

stenk Posted at 2017-10-9 12:29
Thanks for the reply. I have a DJI Spark.

Absolutely love this thing but I have not built up enough courage to let the Spark out of my sight.

In spite how others may fly, it is not a good idea flying the aircraft out of site. In fact, that is usually the first statement in the manuals.
2017-10-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-9 12:26
If you getting magnetic interference you should move your AC, it tells you this in your telemetry and also tells you this in your manual.

This link might help.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-10-9
Use props
stenk
lvl.3
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-9 13:27
This link might help.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104222&fromuid=260008

Thank you very much! Will do this today!
2017-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules