please help!!! P4 - Gimbal completely unresponsive, no startup dance
1403 22 2017-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20682 ft

United States

I have read everything I possibly can on here, as well as all over the web, but I can’t solve this problem. I receive live feed from the camera, but the gimbal is completely unresponsive to controller. I’ve deleted and reinstalled multiple times Go 4 app, same with Assistant 2, When I startup AC the camera just stays limp, pointing down and there is zero movement from gimbal. No noise. It doesn’t even make an attempt to move. All the firmware is on the latest. And I’m getting zero error messages at all. Has anyone else had anything like this and fixed it? I’d UV glue the thing so the camera just stays pointing forward but then the video would be bumpy...just guessing...
2017-10-9
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Is this an issue from new or only just started?
Have you tried a refresh of the firmware for the drone?
Have you crashed the drone or had a hard landing?
Check the ribbon cable that connects to the gimbal to see if there is any damage to it.
If none of these resolve the problem i suggest contacting dji support and book in for repair.
2017-10-9
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

A loose or dirty connection in the gimbal ribbon cable has been attributed to similar errors. Is the bird still under warranty?
If not then if you are handy wirh a screw driver and multimeter then you can remove the ribbon cable clean it and test it thoroughly i dont suggest you glue the gimbal or camera in place. You would be much better to try a none permenant method of holding camera in position such as sticky tape if you want to fly and yes your image will be very bumpy and prob not worth recording however having said that i would not recommend flying at all untill you have resolved this issue as there may be more underlying issues that your not aware of.
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-10-9 15:41
A loose or dirty connection in the gimbal ribbon cable has been attributed to similar errors. Is the bird still under warranty?
If not then if you are handy wirh a screw driver and multimeter then you can remove the ribbon cable clean it and test it thoroughly i dont suggest you glue the gimbal or camera in place. You would be much better to try a none permenant method of holding camera in position such as sticky tape if you want to fly and yes your image will be very bumpy and prob not worth recording however having said that i would not recommend flying at all untill you have resolved this issue as there may be more underlying issues that your not aware of.

thank you for your reply. What would I do with the meter? which connector or pins would I check to see if there is any current or how much?
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-10-9 15:41

also, the port that I think is on the back plate of the camera, could a bad connection or "short" in that port cause a gimbal motor to burn up?
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-10-9 15:31
Is this an issue from new or only just started?
Have you tried a refresh of the firmware for the drone?
Have you crashed the drone or had a hard landing?

I just saw your original response to this. I had a P3P before this that I flew a lot. Then I  bought the p4 used not too long ago and the gimbal wasn't limp but I don't remember trying to move it at all during the test flight. But it said to update firmware during test flight so I got home and did just that, and after a few hiccups like most people I see (now) and here we are. But now it says "latest firmware" in the app and assistant
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

v02.00.0106
2017-10-9
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

As an earlier post asked, is this something that just started for no reason that you know of?
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DontFlyHigh Posted at 2017-10-9 16:35
I just saw your original response to this. I had a P3P before this that I flew a lot. Then I  bought the p4 used not too long ago and the gimbal wasn't limp but I don't remember trying to move it at all during the test flight. But it said to update firmware during test flight so I got home and did just that, and after a few hiccups like most people I see (now) and here we are. But now it says "latest firmware" in the app and assistant

Before touching any cables, try to refresh the latest firmware installed on the aircraft, that is the most likely choice.
2017-10-9
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

I agree with Geebax try doing a factory reset if you have that option via dji assistant then refresh the firmware if that doesnt help then check the cable.
when using multi meter you need to carefully follow each connection and using multimeter in either continuity setting or ohms setting you should get a reading from each pin of the cable ie put the probe at each end of each track within the cable. usually tho you would most likely see visually if the cable has been damaged.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Did anything happen before, like a crash or hard landing? Try to refresh the firmware of the drone via DJI Assistant 2, see if it works.
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-9 18:32
Did anything happen before, like a crash or hard landing? Try to refresh the firmware of the drone via DJI Assistant 2, see if it works.

No, no crashes or anything like that. Like I was saying, I had just bought the p4 off of my buddy, and while I was doing the test flight and checking it out, I noticed that the firmware needed to be updated on the aircraft and remote. So once I got it home, I updated everything, and saw how little it had actually been used. No scratches anywhere and being my friend, never heard of him crashing it or really even flying it too often.
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-9 18:32

I said something earlier about the port or spot where you can connect a cable to the camera and if that could burn up a gimbal motor, and i was asking about it because I took out the rubber plug that goes in the port when it’s not in use, and when taking out the plug, it looked Ike it may have arched or something once the plug got removed from the tool I was using to remove it. What motor would that affect, or anything that it could possibly affect that you know of?
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DontFlyHigh Posted at 2017-10-9 19:00
I said something earlier about the port or spot where you can connect a cable to the camera and if that could burn up a gimbal motor, and i was asking about it because I took out the rubber plug that goes in the port when it’s not in use, and when taking out the plug, it looked Ike it may have arched or something once the plug got removed from the tool I was using to remove it. What motor would that affect, or anything that it could possibly affect that you know of?

Were you removing the rubber plug while the aircraft was powered on? If not, then it would not have done any harm.
2017-10-9
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 19:03
Were you removing the rubber plug while the aircraft was powered on? If not, then it would not have done any harm.

Yes, i believe it was on
2017-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DontFlyHigh Posted at 2017-10-9 19:08
Yes, i believe it was on

That's not good. Well, it is possible you have fried something.
2017-10-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

DontFlyHigh Posted at 2017-10-9 19:00

If so, I would recommend you send the drone in for diagnosis and repair, please contact the Support to start a case.  http://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2017-10-9
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Yes, You should send it in for repair. Doesn't sound like there is a quick or easy fix for your problem.
2017-10-10
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 20:12

If you were to guess, what would be the first or most likely thing that would be fried if I did mes with that port white the craft was on? Gimbal motor?
2017-11-11
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-9 20:12

If you were to guess, what would be the first or most likely thing that would be fried if I did mess with that port on the camera while the craft was on? Gimbal motor?
2017-11-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DontFlyHigh Posted at 2017-11-11 09:36
If you were to guess, what would be the first or most likely thing that would be fried if I did mess with that port on the camera while the craft was on? Gimbal motor?

I have no idea, schematics for the aircraft are not published. Sorry.
2017-11-11
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

I was looking for a guess but thanks for your other help.
2018-1-18
Use props
DontFlyHigh
lvl.2

United States

I’ve been trying to get the beta firmware for a couple months now. Please someone help me so I can try it and hopefully take my phantom out of the closet again
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules