"Cannot take off due to large voltage difference among battery cells."
5087 21 2017-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

I just received my Spark Fly more combo and while one battery works fine, the other says "cannot take off due to large voltage difference among battery cells". This error happens when I try to take off with the RC or the phone.

I spoke to online support and they said to update firmware. The firmware on the app says it's up to date and I also tried DJI Assistant 2 and it also said it's up to date, however I refreshed the update anyway. There is no option to update the battery itself, or am I missing something here? I also drained the battery completely and charged again and still no luck. Very frustrating as i'm going on a trip overseas next week and wanted at least two batteries.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

Is there a way to specifically update the battery?
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Just update the firmware of the drone with this battery inserted, uninstall the APP, then download the latest APP on your phone, then check it again. If it persists, provide some screenshots for better assistance, a screenshot of the error message, a screenshot of the About page and a screenshot of the Battery status page.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-10-10 00:52
Just update the firmware of the drone with this battery inserted, uninstall the APP, then download the latest APP on your phone, then check it again. If it persists, provide some screenshots for better assistance, a screenshot of the error message, a screenshot of the About page and a screenshot of the Battery status page.

Please view the error here. I just got the drone yesterday so yes the app is up to date.
done screen 3.jpg
drone screen 1.jpg
drone screen 2.jpg
2017-10-10
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Attach the drone with that particular battery to your computer and run DJI Assistant 2.
If the battery firmware is not updated (which is what I suspect) it will warn you about an inconsistency and ask whether you want to update that particular battery.
Answer "yes".
2017-10-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 01:14
[view_image]

Please view the error here. I just got the drone yesterday so yes the app is up to date.

note: this is a cell balancing issue, it happens to multicell batteries from time to time, usually happens if dji batteries are hibernating or self discharge mode and fails to properly log it, if no damaged cells inside then a simple full drain (leave drone on until clicks off from no power) and then plug the battery itself into the charger alone, let it charge without interuption.   then place battery back into the drone and see it it clear issue up, if no damaged cell inside then it should have self balanced on discharge and recharging and the drain and recharge should have recalibrated evertyhing.  if however is damaged cell inside, then likely it say same error and failed to balance and you need to make a DJI warrenty claim or return and echange unit.  

let us know how it goes and if this fixes the issue

EDITED MSG cuz im bored

2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

djiuser_Kf4iPA3 Posted at 2017-10-10 01:19
Attach the drone with that particular battery to your computer and run DJI Assistant 2.
If the battery firmware is not updated (which is what I suspect) it will warn you about an inconsistency and ask whether you want to update that particular battery.
Answer "yes".

I have done exactly this already.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-10 01:20
note: this is a cell balancing issue, it happens to multicell batteries from time to time, usually happens if dji batteries are hibernating or self discharge mode and fails to properly log it, if no damaged cells inside then a simple full drain (leave drone on until clicks off from no power) and then plug the battery itself into the charger alone, let it charge without interuption.   then place battery back into the drone and see it it clear issue up, if no damaged cell inside then it should have self balanced on discharge and recharging and the drain and recharge should have recalibrated evertyhing.  if however is damaged cell inside, then likely it say same error and failed to balance and you need to make a DJI warrenty claim or return and echange unit.  

I did let it drain already and charged it again however I'll give it another go. Thanks.
2017-10-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 01:39
I did let it drain already and charged it again however I'll give it another go. Thanks.

ok, well yea try one more time, verify its dead dead, then plug it in into standalone charger and let it does its thing it repeats then time to make a claim with DJI or exchange it for another in or with the store you got from..  if hard locked into this error then definatly a damaged cell which can be dangerious.  the error is dyanmic, every cycle and boot it checks.. not once off sort of error..
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 01:14
[view_image]

Since you had refreshed the firmware, if it persists, I would recommend sending it back and we will take care of this. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-10 01:45
Since you had refreshed the firmware, if it persists, I would recommend sending it back and we will take care of this. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thanks, I will try draining and recharging again and if it doesn't work i'll fill out the form and send it back.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-10 01:45

Okay I drained the battery and charged again, still no luck. I attempted to fill out a repair request but I can't as it's not available in Australia. I have now e-mailed support. How do I send the battery back and get a new one if DJI is not in Australia? Please help.
2017-10-10
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 02:12
Thanks, I will try draining and recharging again and if it doesn't work i'll fill out the form and send it back.

Can we have a look at the battery page in the DJI Go4 app, it should show the cells and the voltage difference
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

lannes Posted at 2017-10-10 04:29
Can we have a look at the battery page in the DJI Go4 app, it should show the cells and the voltage difference

Here are the photos of the battery cells, as well as the error it was giving me this morning. Until now it has giving me the battery cells error, this time it has given me an error code 130. Does anyone know the meaning of this?
22425927_10154973588853730_1254899646_o.jpg
22404109_10154973588858730_1879442117_o.jpg
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 13:45
Here are the photos of the battery cells, as well as the error it was giving me this morning. Until now it has giving me the battery cells error, this time it has given me an error code 130. Does anyone know the meaning of this?

I'm also not sure why it says its only been charged two times, i've drained it completely and charged it twice alone since last night.
2017-10-10
Use props
Tyredecals.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 13:48
I'm also not sure why it says its only been charged two times, i've drained it completely and charged it twice alone since last night.

Charge is counted by cycles and NOT by how many times you plug it in.
Eg using 30% + 70% + 20% + 50% on 1 battery = 1.7 cycles.

Also, the cell #2 has a physical issue. No firmware or update will fix it. You should send back for warranty replacement.
2017-10-10
Use props
Sambanova
lvl.1

Australia

Tyredecals.com Posted at 2017-10-10 14:04
Charge is counted by cycles and NOT by how many times you plug it in.
Eg using 30% + 70% + 20% + 50% on 1 battery = 1.7 cycles.

Alright thanks, I'll chat with support.
2017-10-10
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

yes, non recoverable, strange that Dji quality control did not pick this up , considering it was straight out of the box
2017-10-10
Use props
s5er
lvl.2
Slovenia

I had same issue, but with much lower voltage difference in one of the cells. I also tried many things that were also mentioned here but nothing helped. Initially both batteries from fly more combo worked fine, but after few recharges, mandatory firmware upgrade was issued and I updated app, drone, batteries... After that one of the batteries was causing this problem. I guess that mandatory firmware upgrade set this limit for battery cells, which prevented some of issues with power on Spark...
When I contacted DJI support I first received several useless instructions how to fly Spark or fix this problem, of course none of provided solutions worked. Then I opened new ticket and got response from DJI Germany where they said that this is faulty battery and needs to be replaced. There is no way to fix this, the only solution is to replace battery. I sent the battery to local dealer for warranty replacement where they sent it to DJI. I was informed few days ago that they have finished warranty and the battery is on a way to my address.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Sambanova Posted at 2017-10-10 04:29
Okay I drained the battery and charged again, still no luck. I attempted to fill out a repair request but I can't as it's not available in Australia. I have now e-mailed support. How do I send the battery back and get a new one if DJI is not in Australia? Please help.

Since you had emailed our support, they will help and lead you how to do. Please wait for the reply. Thank you so much.
2017-10-10
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

The second picture says total capacity 822mAh. It should say about 1400.
No doubt, the battery is defective.
2017-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

s5er Posted at 2017-10-10 17:01
I had same issue, but with much lower voltage difference in one of the cells. I also tried many things that were also mentioned here but nothing helped. Initially both batteries from fly more combo worked fine, but after few recharges, mandatory firmware upgrade was issued and I updated app, drone, batteries... After that one of the batteries was causing this problem. I guess that mandatory firmware upgrade set this limit for battery cells, which prevented some of issues with power on Spark...
When I contacted DJI support I first received several useless instructions how to fly Spark or fix this problem, of course none of provided solutions worked. Then I opened new ticket and got response from DJI Germany where they said that this is faulty battery and needs to be replaced. There is no way to fix this, the only solution is to replace battery. I sent the battery to local dealer for warranty replacement where they sent it to DJI. I was informed few days ago that they have finished warranty and the battery is on a way to my address.

Thanks for sharing your story, hope you can get the battery back shortly and enjoy your flight. BTW, we need to do the troubleshooting for the large voltage difference, so hope your kind understanding.
2017-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules