Help me analyze this grain issue. Updated shots (4/9/15)
5670 4 2015-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

(Update 4/9/15)::
I'd like some feedback on whether these are helpful to any forum members. I know these shots are not in a controlled environment, Ie: sun and clouds move...but i'm trying to help myself and other interested members see the differences in the effect shutter speeds, grain, ND, etc can have on your inspire 1 footage both straight out of camera and in grading. I also am doing these to test out and see if my camera has any issues.

so here goes.

I've read numerous threads on problems related to grain, bitrate, jello, etc. etc.

My inspire recently came back from repair, in which the camera was also replaced. I may not have been paying attention to grain as much before the repair, but I am now. I would like some help and advice from others in the forum on whether this is an acceptable amount of grain / compression artifacts for these shots, or if there may be a potential problem with the camera.

The following selection of clips were shot at:
ISO:100 SS: 50/80/120.
4k 24FPS
ND16 (2 ND.6 LEE 210 gels stacked in DJI clear filter)
LOG Profile
Sharp @ 0
Contrast @ -3
Saturation @ -3

Here is the YOUTUBE 4K upload:
Here is a higher res edit, without the youtube compression: 2GB exported file (download)
Each clip shows the ungraded shot from camera/ some minor dialing in of saturation and levels adjustment within Premiere Pro CC, and the Neumann Films LUT profile Vibrant hills (applied at 75% opacity)
Here are the individual scopes readout for each shot RGB Scopes (download,and each file is named to the corresponding shot, alternatively there is a PDF)

Thoughts?

Original posted clips (FOR REFERENCE):Here is sequence with two different shots, the files straight out of thecamera, followed by a slight grade in color correction of the same files. thenexported to h.264 out of Premiere cc.

My settings on the first shot were
Full 4K 24
ISO: 100 Shutter 800
stock DJI ND4 filter

the second shot
Full 4k 24
ISO: 200 Shutter 50
DJI ND16 equivalent filter

I don't believe my shots are underexposed, as when I have shot I adjust to the right of the histogram just before my highlights clip.
I am editing in Premiere Pro CC and my scopes show that the files straight out of the camera are not below the IRE 0 black level, if anything they are slightly clipping in the highlights at IRE 100

Currently the histogram does not react true to what we see, is it just a matter of exposing these shots just a tad darker to get rid of the grain? Right now it seems like you have to adjust levels more by eye than by the histogram. It looks like most of my base black level is hovering around 20. Yet, if I grade down the footage that grain and compression artifacts get worse.

first clip

first clip

2nd clip

2nd clip
2015-4-7
Use props
Baldrick
lvl.1

Australia

From the youtube clip (never a good reference of course) & the screenshots I would say that you are a stop or more underexposed. The first screenshot supports this, your water flares are pegged just short of 100% but as they are reflected sunlight they will contain no detail so will not degrade further with crushing. Your sky however should be close to 100%, not the current 50 to 70%. You are shooting directly into the sun without any lens shade which seriously reduces image contrast as well as exaggerating any graining.  Are you shooting in LOG? Are you in custom mode with -1 sharpening, sat & contrast?  Both clips need sharpening in post, the shot setting two soft to see if your lens has post repair trauma.  From what I can see here these two clips are not ideal for camera evaluation.     
2015-4-8
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
United States

Baldrick Posted at 2015-4-8 16:53
From the youtube clip (never a good reference of course) & the screenshots I would say that you are  ...

True, I will work on picking better clips, not shooting into the sun. as surely that does have an effect.

I have always shot in the LOG color format, and I shoot Sharp at 0 and Sat -3 and contrast -3

2015-4-8
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
United States

I've updated some shots on here. please let me know if any of it is helpful.
2015-4-9
Use props
COLINNNN
New

United States

You grain bitrate jello etc etc is perfectly acceptable!  You're just not using enough jello!  If I were you I'd jello it up with more jello and a jello soundtrack like mmmmJELLO! Jello is what makes teh shutter special!  Even film footage has jello and no one ever complained about the jello shakings of Audrey Hepburn or JLo!  What this world need is more jello!  Also I don't think you used enough emojis in your post! Emaojis make everything seem more personal because they add emotions!

2015-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules