9701 52 2017-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a perfect day today; Flew today in 16-20 mph winds out in open waters (usually don't fly over10 mph) winds. Intentionally wanted to fly to see how the Mavic was able to handle strong winds (Sport-m) and it definitely held up impressively! Got many warnings but wanted to put it through the paces. Wow, Mavic is truly supreme in windy conditions (fly at your own risk) !
Have you flown in these kind of windy conditions or even higher wind conditions ?
2017-10-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was ok with it until you said "open waters"
2017-10-12
Use props
djiuser_rx1iQ3D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84193 ft
United States

I just bought a propeller cage for my drone and didn't think about the wind conditions. It was 19 mph. The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.  I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me.
2017-10-12
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

I just bought a propeller cage for my drone and didn't think about the wind conditions. It was 19 mph. The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.  I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me.
2017-10-12
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Cornel J Posted at 2017-10-12 11:29

Prop guards act like sails pretty much on any drone. Keep it lean & mean !
2017-10-12
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I am continually surprised how stable my Mavic Pro is in high wind conditions.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Flying over water can have it's own types of challenges. Be sure to read the manual about flying over water as it can have an affect on how your aircraft is performing.
2017-10-12
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

On my trip to Aruba there were  22+mph winds and the Mavic flew flawlessly. I had to take some time to get used to fly always in sport mode but I had no issues. Be aware to always start your flight upwind so you can bring it back very quickly... :-)
And forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions...
2017-10-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-12 11:22
I was ok with it until you said "open waters"

....decided that if anything went wrong, it's better that it lands in water.
2017-10-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_rx1iQ3D Posted at 2017-10-12 11:25

"I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me."

Did you have it in sport-mode? I found the MP very stable in S-mode; on P-mode, it does drift. Agreed, when MP fights the wind the battery juice lessens.
2017-10-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-12 12:26
Flying over water can have it's own types of challenges. Be sure to read the manual about flying over water as it can have an affect on how your aircraft is performing.

I read the manual twice even before I even owned a MP.

You better believe that flying over water for a mile or two out if going to have an effect on the Mavic in windy conditions. Wind conditions in high or low attitude also plays into the flight.

Few times I had to adjust accordingly to work my way back to base. I also kept the MP closer and didn't venture out as I normally would b/c of the windy conditions.
2017-10-12
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-12 12:28
On my trip to Aruba there were  22+mph winds and the Mavic flew flawlessly. I had to take some time to get used to fly always in sport mode but I had no issues. Be aware to always start your flight upwind so you can bring it back very quickly... :-)
And forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions...

"forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions..."

100% agree; all the extra stuff will bring more drag and lessen flight time.  And, yeah if a pilot is inexperienced, definitely shouldn't be flying in these types of windy conditions. Wow you dealt with 22 mph, now that's windy. Good stuff if you were able to successfully fly in those conditions.

As you know, anyone flying in these conditions is taking a risk.
2017-10-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-12 14:49
....decided that if anything went wrong, it's better that it lands in water.

That would be a hard choice, but I guess it all depends on the circumstances.
2017-10-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I flew the Mavic in a very strong wind condition once, trees swaying very hardly around on the top of the mountain, but I didn't wanna miss the scenery coz I knew that I might not have the chance to go back there again, so I decided to take off. Surprisingly, Mavic performed very well.
But anyway, we don't recommend flying the drone when wind speed exceeds 10m/s. Take care.
2017-10-12
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-12 15:09
"forget about propellers guards and cages or other stuff that adds too much drag and wheight to the bird... if you are not experienced enough to fly without these shouldn't be flying in high wind or adverse conditions..."

100% agree; all the extra stuff will bring more drag and lessen flight time.  And, yeah if a pilot is inexperienced, definitely shouldn't be flying in these types of windy conditions. Wow you dealt with 22 mph, now that's windy. Good stuff if you were able to successfully fly in those conditions.

I was very scared to fly, but when I arrived in an iconic location with an old lighthouse there was a guy flying a Mavic (definitively he was much more experienced than me), and another flying a GoPro Karma... the Mavic eas flying very well but the Karma seemed to struggle... I couldn't be there just watching them to fly in a beautiful sunset!! After this first windy flight, I started to build some more confidence to fly in such conditions. And yes, sure I was taking a risk.... Soon I'll be posting all the beautiful footage I was able to capture in Aruba, and you can decide if the risk was worth!! :-)
2017-10-12
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-12 11:38
Prop guards act like sails pretty much on any drone. Keep it lean & mean !

Sounds good.
2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-10-12 14:55
"I wouldn't advice flying in any kinda of strong winds because your drone's battery life shortens and your return to home option won't work because the winds are too strong. I tried to land it safely to find but also, the signal cut out two to three times on me."

Did you have it in sport-mode? I found the MP very stable in S-mode; on P-mode, it does drift. Agreed, when MP fights the wind the battery juice lessens.

No. I wasn't aware of sport mode.
2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-12 15:13
That would be a hard choice, but I guess it all depends on the circumstances.

Wouldn't it sink?
2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-12 23:00
I was very scared to fly, but when I arrived in an iconic location with an old lighthouse there was a guy flying a Mavic (definitively he was much more experienced than me), and another flying a GoPro Karma... the Mavic eas flying very well but the Karma seemed to struggle... I couldn't be there just watching them to fly in a beautiful sunset!! After this first windy flight, I started to build some more confidence to fly in such conditions. And yes, sure I was taking a risk.... Soon I'll be posting all the beautiful footage I was able to capture in Aruba, and you can decide if the risk was worth!! :-)

Well, I was just inexperience in flying in wind conditions but I'm a video game player. The mavic Pro and prolly any other drone is as easy as that.
2017-11-20
Use props
Cornel J
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-12 18:17
I flew the Mavic in a very strong wind condition once, trees swaying very hardly around on the top of the mountain, but I didn't wanna miss the scenery coz I knew that I might not have the chance to go back there again, so I decided to take off. Surprisingly, Mavic performed very well.
But anyway, we don't recommend flying the drone when wind speed exceeds 10m/s. Take care.

That sounds good. I'll make sure I keep up with the wind conditions when I fly.
2017-11-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Cornel J Posted at 2017-11-20 20:23
That sounds good. I'll make sure I keep up with the wind conditions when I fly.

Yeah, safty first. Enjoy your time.
2017-11-28
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-12 18:17

by golly DJI Thor does have guts when flying his Mavic lol
2017-11-28
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

Flew once on 15Mph wind and it it started to drift away from me in GPS mode (odd behaviour) and not responding to stick movement while I have full signal with distance not more than 150m
Quickly switching it into sports mode manage to gain control and bring it back, I almost return it back thinking it was hardware issue but did a firmware upgrade and few more test did not produce the same issue so far.
2017-11-28
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-28 04:15
Flew once on 15Mph wind and it it started to drift away from me in GPS mode (odd behaviour) and not responding to stick movement while I have full signal with distance not more than 150m
Quickly switching it into sports mode manage to gain control and bring it back, I almost return it back thinking it was hardware issue but did a firmware upgrade and few more test did not produce the same issue so far.

That's the reason why I tend to fly in Sport-mode, handles superb in windy conditions.
2017-11-28
Use props
Dbuxy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 344547 ft
United States

You're more brave than I am lol
2017-11-28
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dbuxy Posted at 2017-11-28 04:49
You're more brave than I am lol

When I first started flying in S-mode, a bit anxious-provoking but after awhile, it's a easy-peasey.
2017-11-28
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

Any idea how to adjust Yaw smoothness for sports mode? It's way too sensitive
2017-11-28
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why did you feel the need to inform us about the color of the so-called "cool" lady?  If it would have been a white lady would you have said the "cool" white lady?  It is now 2017!
2017-11-28
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

The drone struggled and would not fly back to me but instead kept drifting away where it crashed into a tree and luckily this black lady was cool enough to wait for me to come get it.

Evidently, you felt a need to inform us that she was black.  Why not just a cool woman?
2017-11-28
Use props
Irishbrewer74
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119557 ft
United States

Always fly into the wind first.  That way if it starts to drift you can land it right away.  Once you need to return due to batteries, you are flying with the wind and can return no problem
2017-11-28
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-28 14:00
Any idea how to adjust Yaw smoothness for sports mode? It's way too sensitive

Go into 'advanced settings' and there you'll be able to reduce gimbal movements (pitch etc) making it smoother.  Here's a great video explaining how to adjust.

2017-11-28
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Canada

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-11-28 17:50
Go into 'advanced settings' and there you'll be able to reduce gimbal movements (pitch etc) making it smoother.  Here's a great video explaining how to adjust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW9f8tDu4TU

I watched it but that Gimbal smoothness I do have mine setup already which works in in P mode, How about Sports mode? That's where it way too sensitive
2017-11-29
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly in high wind a lot and the Mavic handles it well. If you find yourself in a situation where the wind is overtaking the drone pop it into Sport Mode and get it home safe. You don't want to trust the power of return to home when in "extreme" weather.
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thunderbirds Posted at 2017-11-29 05:13
I watched it but that Gimbal smoothness I do have mine setup already which works in in P mode, How about Sports mode? That's where it way too sensitive

I've kept my set up the same whether in S or P mode, works well.
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2017-11-29 05:26
I fly in high wind a lot and the Mavic handles it well. If you find yourself in a situation where the wind is overtaking the drone pop it into Sport Mode and get it home safe. You don't want to trust the power of return to home when in "extreme" weather.

I rarely fly outside of S-mode but for me it just handles much better. I need to get to certain areas/points quickly and it does just that with ease.
2017-11-29
Use props
JoeCec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

exactly right, and you can tone down the expo to where it's smooth and buttery!
2017-11-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2017-11-29 13:12
exactly right, and you can tone down the expo to where it's smooth and buttery!

True, did that wow amazing results.
2017-11-29
Use props
ghost_ATX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1277703 ft
United States

JoeCec Posted at 2017-11-29 05:26

In addition to sports mode, you can bring the MP down (lower altitude usually = less wind) to help with the drag. That move saved me once while  flying in overly-windy conditions. I would have lost my bird due to a depleted battery from fighting the wind otherwise.
2017-11-29
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

ghost_ATX Posted at 2017-11-29 19:10
In addition to sports mode, you can bring the MP down (lower altitude usually = less wind) to help with the drag. That move saved me once while  flying in overly-windy conditions. I would have lost my bird due to a depleted battery from fighting the wind otherwise.

I do wish that in the future, the DJI techs. would add a ATT mode to the Mavic.
If your a new flyer, the Mavic suddenly loosing satilites, etc  & goes into ATT. mode,  can be a disaster!
With my P3A or any Phantom for that matter, you can switch to ATT mode & practice manual flying.
I find myself switching to ATT mode allot, as once you become competent this mode is so much fun!
But, I recall the first time I flipped that switch, my Phantom took a hard left & sped off at full speed! My brain yelling flyaway, flyaway!! I was calm enough to realize the wind at 60 meters was very different than where I stood, flipped into  P mode & my bird just  stopped & hovered.
I was breathing like I just ran a marathon!

2017-11-30
Use props
web_parrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-11-28 17:20
Why did you feel the need to inform us about the color of the so-called "cool" lady?  If it would have been a white lady would you have said the "cool" white lady?  It is now 2017!

I agree.  It's offensive to me to have him make such a comment.  Would he have expected different behaviors because of her color?  Please, be more thoughtful.
2017-11-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules