About to purchase - Any advice?
1362 18 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
astroboy
New

United Kingdom

Am on cusp of purchasing the Inspire 1 and would just like some honest opinions and advice on any additional kit and overall reliability (any particular issues you've discovered / are you ecstatic with the footage you have shot?  any criticisms?)   Always better to do some research before commiting to such an expensive purchase.  
I read a few 'cool' reviews on BH Photo - particularly the last one (mainly down to software issues).  I usually trust the reviews on there so am a little more apprehensive.

Anyway - glad to be on the forum!     

2015-4-8
Use props
rjs21989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858701 ft
  • >>>
United States

At this point wait. With the P3 coming out at $1300.00 you'll be able to pick up the inspire for cheap when the lawsuits start happening.
2015-4-8
Use props
clay.seddon
lvl.1

United States

RUN....
just had to send mine in since it wouldnt take the firm ware upgrade and i was unable to fly it until it got upgraded.  No wi have to wait 7-9 weeks to get it back...
2015-4-8
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Buy the P3!!
2015-4-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Get the p3 pro you won't be disappointed , trust me ! Three years in ,I own two phantoms p1 and the p2 and the inspire also, all still in perfect shape ! If you want a package that will be easy to fly , travel with, backpack, some parts will already be available, it costs less !, and the phantoms are rated number 1 in the industry hands down.remember  I bought the inspire it is excellent so far ,but I'd spoken to my dealer whom I trust about waiting maybe to see the new p3 before I ordered the inspire tossed it around for some weeks .. The ability to easily pack a phantom p3 4k with nearly the same features as the inspire and for two grand $$$ less is a NO Brainer .... I think I saw in the dji live stream the p3 pro even comes with the fancy Rc controller that sold alone for the inspire 1 at $650.00 a pop ! WOW at $1200.00 + that's incredible ! Do yourself a favor and check out the new p3pro phantom , with the saved cash you could take your new p3 on vacation with you somewhere really nice !
2015-4-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

rjs21989 Posted at 2015-4-9 00:07
At this point wait. With the P3 coming out at $1300.00 you'll be able to pick up the inspire for che ...

Lots of 1s will go on the chopping block dropping the price like a rock ! Bet me.
2015-4-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

No.....Screw DJI. Buy the Walkera version lol
2015-4-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

One more tid bit , I've flown my phantoms places I'd Never fly my inspire ...
Why ? It's a matter of $$$ and replacement , with both my phantoms I new I could if I lost it Go right out and buy just the bird alone lessening the pain of it all ! The inspire goes down I decided right away  i would not be grabbing at another replacement. But then some have endless pockets of $$$$
2015-4-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

The walkera will Never come close , Don't waste your time .
2015-4-8
Use props
astroboy
New

United Kingdom

Really appreciate the response guys - have to say a bit thrown now because I was all set for the Inspire too!
I'm now looking at this Phantom 3.   When is it actually out?
2015-4-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

It's already for sale preorder online dji store,  helicopter warehouse, etc etc ..and  I'd bet it will be in dealers hands way sooner than the inspire wasn't .
2015-4-8
Use props
kirk.pleasant
lvl.2

Qatar

Maybe wait for the new 3DR Solo...

2015-4-8
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, go for the P3 and forget the i1.
2015-4-9
Use props
caddwizard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453788780 ft
Australia

Should anyone go with the P3 or anything else they should verify the uniqueness of its design. True it looks like its predecessors however all it takes is a molding , battery connector, motor, ESC, or a myriad of other parts to just be that little bit different and you will be reliant on supplies.

Just do your research and watch the forums.
2015-4-9
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

Agree 100%
2015-4-9
Use props
astroboy
New

United Kingdom

Something tells me I should take heed to all these warnings!    I think I will get the P3 then and cut my teeth with it first.  Hopefully in time the Inspire will resolve its problems and I can then upgrade to that.   Incidentally - providing that you don't seriously damage these birds - what's the re-sale like on them - are the easy enough to sell on or are people usually wary?
2015-4-12
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

astroboy Posted at 2015-4-13 02:24
Something tells me I should take heed to all these warnings!    I think I will get the P3 then and c ...

Everyone is assuming P3 DOES NOT have the problems that I1 has.....Isnt that a false assumption considering P3 is brand new in its first iteration? BTW i have an Inspire and am also getting P3 professional as a backup... I love my inspire's speed very fast!! Faster than P3  will be...
2015-4-12
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Take a closer look at what your needs are and take a look at the P3 , 3DR and the I1...The I1 is at a point where new software should be coming out so hopefully some of the issues should be resolved hopefully...Dont expect a lot from DJI on after market support...Its a mixed bag of fish...I suspect it might be a bit better for the P3.  If it were not for the GPS dropout and props shortage it would be a pretty solid product for me...At some point I will probably buy a P3 as an addition to support my I1...
2015-4-12
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

If I were in your position and considering a purchase I'd re-iterate a lot of what has been posted above.
Firstly, consider whatever you are going to purchase as a tool and look at the suitability of each option against the purpose you are looking to use it for. Don't get carried away with the specs and marketing, take the novelty and emotion out of it. Be ready to understand that there probably won't be a 100% fit for your needs/budget out there.

Then I would only consider what each product can actually do right now, don't expect or rely upon features that are 'coming soon'.
In that case, shop elsewhere if you need autonomous nav (Waypoints), follow me, POI, better cameras or alternative imaging devices etc. If these come to pass over time, great! Treat them as a bonus however.

Not trying to scare you off the Inspire, I am very impressed with the I1, have 90+ flights in the month or two that I've owned it and am learning / gaining experience and confidence every time I fly. Last Saturday I was flying along the beautiful Yarra river through a local state park, and got approx 1500m from my home position at one point. During these flights I encountered GPS dropouts, switching to ATTI, a couple of video transmission glitches but at all times the bird was controlled and stable. The captured video looks great and I'm having a great time learning to edit and present the final product.

It's still early days for me but with time and patience I've learned to recognise and respond to what the I1 throws at me in a calm and measured manner - just like the 100's of others who have come to these forums from the world of RC craft.

Whatever you choose to purchase, have fun with it, fly safe and make sure to share some of the output with us all here!
2015-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules