Norway

Watching the live stream now on the Phantom 3 launch
Looks like an amazing product and a better value than the Inspire 1
Just as good camera
Longer battery capacity
Smaller and more portable
1 mile range
Vision positioning system
And muuuuch cheaper - a quarter of the cost!

Right now I am feeling duped for buying the Inspire 1... what are your thoughts?

2015-4-8
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
Guatemala

The P3 definitely looks great. I will almost certainly get one. A couple of things immediately come to mind about the Inspire that are clearly better --

Inspire will likely still be a more stable platform given it's size, weight and power. Particularly in wind.
Inspire's retractable props/landing gear will make for cleaner shots that don't include spinning props in the image.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The P3 may be a better bang for the buck. Having said that, I'm sure the Inspire will have a better camera option soon and other nifty capabilities that will continue to make it competitive and differentiated. These are certainly fun and interesting times for us aerial photographers!
2015-4-8
Use props
Skywolf007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2758875 ft
Slovakia

I feel robbed. the p3 can do what the inspire, even more - possibly ioc l, longer flight time, cheaper a lot cheaper!! can take more cameras.

the inspire now feel a bit unfinished, it needs new camera firmware with more options, IOC, bug fixes, etc etc.

I really feel robbed by DJI. I could have waited 4 months and have the same experience for 60% of the price.
2015-4-8
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I just got a free rubber stamp from DJI. It says "SUKAH"...to be stamped on my forehead. DJI is really starting to remind me of SEGA.
2015-4-8
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

It is quite clear that DJI have simply used the Inspire platform for the Phantom3 whilst adding in additional editing software called "Director" and waypoint flying, which is something Inspire owners still await the release of and which DJI promised in pre-marketing and pre-release advertisements for the Inspire.  

The app for the Phantom is exactly the same Inspire platform, yet Inspire owners still are unable to get the App and Aircraft to operate adequately, be fit for purpose and provide a stable, fault free experience.  In my opinion DJI should concentrate on fixing their existing problems before releasing new products.

As for the Phantom, does this mean that Phantom 2 owners can also expect firmware updates to increase satellite capture as marketed for the Phantom3.
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I think the Inspire 1 certainly still has it's place in the eco-system above the Phantom series; the dual operator setup and ability to turn the camera independently of the Quad is a big advantage over the forward-facing Phantom, but I think a lot of people had expectations for this event that simply weren't realised.

From everything I saw on the live stream I was under the impression that the P3 uses the same camera as the Inspire, just repackaged into a gimbal to fit the Phantom's form factor.

This is a problem for those of us who are single operators on the Inspire as, the Phantom 3 offers very similar capabilities at a far smaller price point and as someone who's invested quite a lot in an Inspire (and those wonderfully expensive batteries), I'll admit I'm not all that pleased about spending all that extra money for not that much more.

I'm fully aware that it was my choice to buy the Inspire early and I really cannot say I'm disappointed in how it has performed so far - I think the Inspire is awesome, but I do feel that the Inspire is now less relevant than it was, given that the P3 has most of the features I wanted from the Inspire, but costs less than half as much.

Hopefully, DJI has anticipated this kind of response from the Inspire 1 owners, (I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way) and will do something to keep their customers who invested quite a lot more than the P3 price point, happy.

For me, DJI can solve any hard feelings by releasing a new camera for the Inspire camera that uses a larger sensor. They should also make feature parity between iOS and Android Pilot apps a top priority - several features on the iOS platform (and actually advertised in the Google Play store), don't actually exist on the Android version and it's a bit crap to be honest.
Also the fact that no mention was made of the Inspire 1 Handheld Gimbal Mount was made, despite appearing in promotional footage at the event.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy Inspire 1 owner, but I'd like to see our platform get a bit more love in the near future
2015-4-8
Use props
peter.a.bosmans
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6321191 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Sorry guys, but you're missing the point.

Ofcourse the P3 is NOT the same as the Inspire 1. Yes it has 4K onboard. And that's about all it has. It does NOT have dual controllers (meaning there's no way to get any decent professional type of video-footage from it). It does NOT have the retractable landing gear. It does NOT have 3-axis stabilization. The list goes on. This is just a Phantom with a 4K camera underneath. You might just as well have a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4 underneath + a Lightbridge.

And yes: if you're a photographer, this thing might be more suited for you than the Inspire 1. But when you're into any type of serious videography, the Phantom 3 won't get you anywhere.

And let's all not forget this is a highly evolving industry. I have no idea what DJI has up it's sleeves for the near future, but i can assure you there will be an Inspire 2 (and 3, and 4,...)  probably for the same price as the 1, maybe cheaper, but with lots of new advanced features that we don't even think about now. That's the way it is. You don't go comparing a computer from a couple of years ago with one that's just been released. That's not the way it works. I'm doing fine with my Inspire 1 (i had the original Phantom before, and a Phantom Vision 2). There's no robbing or trickery by DJI going on here. It's just he way the industry works...
2015-4-8
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Are you guys for real !?

The difference between the phantom and the inspire is HUGE !!!
If you can't see that you obviously don't know what you can do with the I1 ...

I wouldn't fly a phantom even if some one gave it to me!
2015-4-8
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

w1der Posted at 2015-4-9 00:52
Are you guys for real !?

The difference between the phantom and the inspire is HUGE !!!

thats exactly what I was thinking... Inspire over phantom any day... I may get a P3 just to have as back up and for use for low angle crowd shots...other than that I'll be flying with the inspire.
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I think my comments are pretty valid. I know that the Inspire is a better quad than the Phantom, but my issue is this:

I could get the same results from a P3 that I can from my Inspire - at the moment.

That's because I'm a single operator and it seems that the P3 has the same camera tech installed as the Inspire (going on specs alone).

I'm not saying the Inspire 1 is bad - it really isn't - but it makes much less sense for most people to buy one now, unless DJI bring out a better camera for the Inspire.
But I think it's pretty telling that the Inspire 1 camera is modular, as opposed to the P3 camera that looks like it isn't.

If that's the case, I'm pretty certain the I1 will get a better camera at some point.
2015-4-8
Use props
docodrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119062 ft
Singapore

super disappointing , light , compact, longest flying time, lightbridge.
Everything u dream of , u can found from inspire 1. Who going to buy inspire 1 series for future?
2015-4-8
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

pauldean85@goog Posted at 2015-4-9 00:59
I think my comments are pretty valid. I know that the Inspire is a better quad than the Phantom, but ...

I couldn't do half the things I'm doing with the I1 if I wasn't able to raise the landing gear ...

2015-4-8
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

I HATE DJI FOR THIS. I think that DJI might have thought they were pricing themselves out of the market, but instead, they abandon their loyal customers who paid 3K for an Inspire, just to have a $1200 identical drone be released 5 MONTHS LATER.  Now considering to sell the Inspire.  DJI made a big mistake.
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It's not really identical is it?

The Inspire is a better quad no arguments, but the camera now needs to be upgraded as a priority, imo.
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Mine is perfectly stable!

Flying in 20mph gusts, solid as a rock.
2015-4-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Here's a thing...Look at where they were flying.......Hmmmm.

A few do not's broken right there Even at NIGHT mind you!
2015-4-8
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

My disappointment is in the fact that DJI has been developing the P3 while neglecting the Inspire 1. Newest props...not available....replacement parts...not available.....the Inspire is a far superior product...just the gimbal alone is better....if you look closely...the P3 has that same "tin can" gimbal as the V+. My biggest worry is DJI will ignore the Inspire while fawning over its latest young love.
2015-4-8
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

pauldean85@goog Posted at 2015-4-9 01:20
Mine is perfectly stable!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJA0qJKKB-M

Ya, but you don't seem very confident flying at higher altitudes.
Where is the vertical shot of the entire gokart course.
No offense intended, but the video I just watched was the most repetitive footage I think I have ever watched.
Try mixing up your shots and for sure do a vertical of almost anything.
2015-4-8
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

I agree with you peter, it might be cheaper it might have a 4k camera but you can't do many things that the inspire 1 will! i bought the I1 with the mentality to use it for work and I am sure that if I where to do some big production the phantom 3 will not be able to achieve what the inspire 1 can. I could be going  fast and I can have  a 2nd operator controlling the camera pretty much in any direction without the landing gear been in the way of the shot. I guess for those who got it for just a hobby I guess yes the phamtom 3 would be a better option. I Saw the inspire 1 be use with ESPN it did an amazing job. I am sure that in the near future we will have other options when it comes to the camera. I am sure the inspire 1 is yet to meet its potential... it's just a matter of time.
2015-4-8
Use props
tyshearman
lvl.1

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-4-9 01:29
My disappointment is in the fact that DJI has been developing the P3 while neglecting the Inspire 1. ...

This is my sentiment exactly.  I LOVE my I1.  But after watching the release seeing the features of the pilot app on there that are not yet available on the I1 is very frustrating.  On the surface the P3 sounds great and is considerable cheaper, but under the skin the I1 still shines.  DJI will regain my full faith when they step up the pilot app on the I1.  That right now is the weakest link on the platform.  Paying the extra $$$ for the I1 I expect a superior product but more so I expect a superior experience, which right now I don't feel the I1 owners have received.  
2015-4-8
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-9 00:26
WE HAVE BEEN HELD HOSTAGE..............WE ARE DJI MUSHROOMS ( kept in the dark and fed sh*T)

yep, sorry for your loss,
2015-4-8
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

peter.a.bosmans Posted at 2015-4-9 00:48
Sorry guys, but you're missing the point.

Ofcourse the P3 is NOT the same as the Inspire 1. Yes it  ...

You are very right...it's funny to see a few people complaining without having full knowledge of it all...

It's as if I were complaining about new Chanel lipstick...
2015-4-8
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-9 00:26
WE HAVE BEEN HELD HOSTAGE..............WE ARE DJI MUSHROOMS ( kept in the dark and fed sh*T)

Yet...you keep coming to the forum and posting...you are holding yourself hostage...
2015-4-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

The thing is....IF DJI had not kept us Inspire1 buyers in the dark about a new Phantom coming out with almost equal capabilities at nearly a 1/4 the price and maybe spent more time on perfecting what was the current latest thing the Inspire1 before releasing it and at least having spare parts and better customer service...People wouldn't feel so pissed right now.
If I knew a P3 was on the list within a few months of the long Delayed botched up arrival of the I1 I could have saved thousands. I bought the I1 for it current capabilities over the P2V+ but like many are happy with the I1 but pissed at the price for the I1in comparison to the P3

My spelling is bad sometimes lol
2015-4-8
Use props
benjaminsink
lvl.2

United States

Hey my two controllers are worth more than an P3 and controller...
Now all I need is JUST the phantom 3 without the controller and I'll be set haha. I mean that's as long as the controllers ARE worth $650...

So a phantom professional values at $650 minus the 55 dollar charger...

I mean come on guys what did you really expect?

Lolololol
2015-4-8
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-9 02:05
if you want me to bite your out of luck

I don't really want you to bite. I just get confused by people that complain and complain and complain, yet keep coming to the DJI website. It's nonsensical to me.

And it's "you're" not "your".
2015-4-8
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep,  we just got the shaft.
2015-4-8
Use props
Clem2099
lvl.2

United States

I returned my Inspire back in early March and it killed me sending it back as the risk was too great with the FAA still up in the air for commercial use, the P3 is a little bit easier to swallow risk wise.  I think the launch of the Inspire was rushed and did not install confidence in me that I had a solid product as well.  The P3 is a natural progression and should be probably free and with enough spare parts for it, minus the new camera of course. So I will probably purchase one.  The Inspire is something to see though in the air.  I miss that bird!
2015-4-8
Use props
Mbarnidge
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the gut kick dji. 3/4 of the I1 features at half the price including lightbridge. Thanks for valuing your customers. /sarcasm  
2015-4-8
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

WHERE IS THE GROUND STATION AND CAMERA MOUNT, FOR GOD'S SAKE?
2015-4-8
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

We all have options. We can bitch and moan and cry all day long about how we spent this much on the inspire. Go out with pitchforks and spears and try and burn DJI down. sell your inspire 1 and get a P3? But honestly, that sounds like a lot more work, and not as much fun. I am going to fly my inspire 1, I'm going to use it with all its advantages and disadvantages, and I don't care that it costs me a lick of a penny more. I wanted it for that price then, and I am not sour the phantom costs a 1/3 less and has similar features now. I paid a premium to get something entirely new. I was an early adopter. thats the price we pay.
3DR is going to release something new next week. More drone related kicksrtarters are popping up everyday. I've seen custom built octocopters flying Red dragons on a custom gimbal shooting for feature films.

have you seen this TED talk? The astounding athletic power of quadcopters
Technology is going to get better and better daily. Just have fun with what you got. and if you don't like it, then sell yours to somebody who does.

Stay happy, keep flying.
2015-4-8
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

Why would expecting a company to deliver on it's promises be a bad thing?
2015-4-8
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-4-9 01:37
Ya, but you don't seem very confident flying at higher altitudes.
Where is the vertical shot of th ...

The lack of altitude might have been a result of the 20mph winds, which I did mention.

It would have been much stronger at altitude and didn't want to risk my investment.
2015-4-8
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

I feel like i bought a LISA as early buyer instead of wait for the Macintosh in 1976
2015-4-8
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

It is true that the p3 can do almost everything the inspire can at the moment, but here's the thing- the inspire is not even scratch the surface it terms of what it can do. I'm sure that soon enough we all be very glade that we bought the inspire 1 for our professional work.
2015-4-8
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

Guys, let's stop kidding ourselves, I took a Phantom 2 to Africa last year, the wind season and it was a worthless piece if plastic with propellers, that barely was able to take off, it also get's caught in ring vortex if you leave it hovering for even short period of time (new props improved it a bit but still an issue) and there are countless other shortcomings with P2 or equivalent. Inspire is a superior product on so many levels, it can go places and environments Phantoms wont be able to handle. After some tough shoots I cannot trust a Fantom as much as I would trust Inspire. Of course Inspire has it's faults which are being ironed out but once you learn the details and collect enough knowledge it's a system you can rely on.
2015-4-8
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

There are lots of times when I need to get a quick shot without the setup time for the I1 and I have been using one of my Phantoms.  Now I have a better camera with greater distance and a better idea of the image I am going to get.  To me its a win/win and I am amazed that it is priced so well.  This is just another tool in my tool box and even though it obsoletes my other Phantoms I will keep using them for the things they do well.
2015-4-8
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-9 01:17
to hell with the camera... lets make it stable as i feel for the guys thats crashed or had a fly a ...

You comment but it seems like you don't own one, I believe the inspire 1 it's a great bird and until you get your hands on it you can't really talk about stability. I agree there are some people who didnt have much luck with their I1!but that's thr case with any new product! I am sure we will hear stuff about Phamtom 3... I took my drone to Puerto Rico and it did an amazing job. At a point I lost completely sight of my bird and it was far away and I did not panic push HR and it cam to me with no issue it climb to a high altitude and it avoided all the obstacles and it made it safe to me. Flying a drone it's not just something you on a rus. You need to take your time and make sure everything is working well. I am happy with my purchase and by the way you can't compare phamtom 3 with inspire 1...
2015-4-8
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I love my Inspire 1 as much now as I did before Phantom 3
I love my Phantom 2 Vision + V3 as much now as I did before both the Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3

This is how it works - electronics becomes better and cheaper. Be happy with what you have - and most of all use it. And when you need and afford a new one - buy one.
2015-4-8
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-9 06:46
I love my Inspire 1 as much now as I did before Phantom 3
I love my Phantom 2 Vision + V3 as much no ...

Well said Nilsblix!

That a new product is announced by DJI does not automatically invalidate the existing one.
The Inspire is a solid platform - and over time it will improve.

Should it have been 100% functional at day one? Many will say yes, some will say probably, others will understand that the complexity of the underlying technology means that there will be changes, patches and refinements for a long time to come.

Should DJI have worked out all the bugs in the I1 firmware before launching the P3? Again people will have their views. From an I1 owners perspective it feels a little like DJI's collective attention is elsewhere right now, but the reality is that many more Phantoms will be sold than Inspires and it is volume that drives success for companies like DJI. They will sell P3's like the proverbial hotcake and rake in significant profit with volume.

The price point is spot on - set just to tempt those who would be looking at at high end p&s camera budgets and considering a UAV. This is the same approach they took with the I1 - setting the price at approx the same level as a full frame DSLR and lens kit.

I'm looking forward to the journey as I continue to learn and explore just what can be done with the Inspire - looking over the P3 specs, I'm very impressed and may look at picking up one to use as a second camera later on.

Today, I'm intending to celebrate the launch of the little brother with a 3 battery flight session of the Inspire!

2015-4-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules