Trying to repair gimbal/imu
5036 12 2017-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ceolando
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Switzerland

So my Spark crashed really badly because RTH took over the controlls and i couldnt cancel it fast enough. Now I want to fix it myself and I'm doing pretty good so far, but there is one problem. I can connect the camera and get an image on the phone via controller, but the gimbal itself doesnt work and i cant move the camera up and down with the controller. I could just buy a new gimbal and camera, but thats quite expensive and I dont know if the gimbal is actually broken or if it just doesnt turn on because it crashed that bad and is missing some parts or if the imu just needs a callibration or doesnt respond or whatever..
Anyone knows a way to find out?

2017-10-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

You would be best to have a technician look at  your aircraft. You can start the process here: http://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-10-13
Use props
Ceolando
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-13 13:10
You would be best to have a technician look at  your aircraft. You can start the process here: http://www.dji.com/service/repair

Can I just send the gimbal+imu? I can fix the rest myself.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Ceolando Posted at 2017-10-13 14:15
Can I just send the gimbal+imu? I can fix the rest myself.

You would need to send in both the aircraft and the remote. It is not advisable to send in just the gimbal and the IMU.
2017-10-13
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-10-13 13:10

Could you give a picture of parts? we don't know all parts without see picture.
Thanks
2017-10-13
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

Sometime we just need a parts (sample is cover led, only USD$1)
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Ceolando, I am sorry to hear about the crash. We do not recommend that user repairs the drone personally, send it back to DJI repair center for repair for the safety of flight and the maintenance of the warranty, and Spark is an all in one drone, please send the whole drone back. Please contact our support support.us@dji.com to start a ticket and send your drone in, we will take care of it when it arrives. Thank you for your support.
2017-10-13
Use props
Ceolando
lvl.1
Switzerland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-13 20:32
Hi Ceolando, I am sorry to hear about the crash. We do not recommend that user repairs the drone personally, send it back to DJI repair center for repair for the safety of flight and the maintenance of the warranty, and Spark is an all in one drone, please send the whole drone back. Please contact our support  to start a ticket and send your drone in, we will take care of it when it arrives. Thank you for your support.

Well, too bad I already took it apart and started repairing ^^
Can I fix everything I can myself and then send it in and tell them just to look at the gimbal/imu and ignore the rest?
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Ceolando Posted at 2017-10-14 02:32
Well, too bad I already took it apart and started repairing ^^
Can I fix everything I can myself and then send it in and tell them just to look at the gimbal/imu and ignore the rest?

Sorry, I can't determine, but if you send it in, our colleague will diagnose it then send you the invoice. You can try to contact our support support.nl@dji.com to see if there are further information.
2017-10-14
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

You may have found your answer, however as a diagnostic, it sounds like your gimbal motors have been affected. There is a separate line for the gimbal control vs video feed.
Below is the "do it at your own risk solution" but DJI repair is recommended as you may be replacing good parts in the guessing process.
Possible solutions:
1. You can check the wires on the main board, but they wont come loose and you would see a connection break.
2. Purchase an entire gimbal/camber assembly and install it with wires (around 120-140$ USD shipped) -- most likely repair solution.

The gimbal motors are extermely small and sensitive and if one of the beomces out of sync it will not calibrate and just put the gimbal in limp mode which is what this sounds like.

I generally only fix partial motors on the inspires/phantoms/even mavic as they are large enough for service. However the spark is so small you cannot take the gimbal apart.

Hope you got it sorted out, as suggested in the future send in the drone for DJI repair as they can accurate determine what is wrong and also cover the repair if under warranty to avoid guessing.
2018-3-5
Use props
Tzead
lvl.2

India

After crash my doesn't rotate on fix axis. It drifts only if I apply yaw. I don't know if it's imu problem or bad motor
2019-3-11
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Tzead Posted at 3-11 07:25
After crash my doesn't rotate on fix axis. It drifts only if I apply yaw. I don't know if it's imu problem or bad motor

Kindly proceed to the nearest DJI service centre.
2019-3-12
Use props
miniDrone360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 25338924 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tzead Posted at 2019-3-11 07:25
After crash my doesn't rotate on fix axis. It drifts only if I apply yaw. I don't know if it's imu problem or bad motor

Dear Tzead,
Finally whats your cuz of problem? i have same after crash...
2020-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules