Morocco

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-10-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Try it and see.  The gain for video should be better, but not much if an aerial still shooter like myself.  I'll stay with the X5S MFT camera as the lens selection is greater and they can be moved among other MFT cameras if they do not work well on the X5S.  I'd expect to see some rental houses may be carrying the X7 gear soon too if you do not want to buy it.

The color system looks much like the DaVinci Resolve 14 color wheels which is free until you get into the really HD part of it and then it costs $299.  There were some DJI LUTs in Resolve 12 so that might be their editing and color grading system.  Resolve is a pretty good system and a lot of color graders in Hollywood use it.  The new 14 version added a lot of audio editing ability too.

I'm not enamored of the name "Super 35mm" as it really is an APS-C format so the term is a bit misleading.  Old 8mm film went to Super 8mm and the frame itself was indeed larger as the sprocket holes got smaller to accompany the larger frame.  When they pulled out "Super 35mm" film, it didn't grow in frame size, but it got cropped smaller so it appeared better to fit on a wide screen and resolution actually went down due to the crop.  It was a marketing ploy then to theater goers carried over from 8mm to Super 8mm era.  To me, 70mm film stock was more Super 35mm than a cropped Super 35mm frame on a wide screen.  But that's marketing for ya.
2017-10-14
Use props
Drone Trilogy
lvl.2
Canada

From a business perspective I would say no, unless the demand is there.  S35mm is nice, but will you get more bookings with it over the X5s?
2017-10-14
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

What’s the point when the Inspire 2 can’t fly beyond 500 feet without losing signal or overheating the iPad cpu because the app is way too bloated.
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Here is more details of X7's advantages than previous Zenmuse cameras. Hope it will help for your decision.
The Zenmuse X7 uses a 23.5×15.7 mm sensor, with the size of a single pixel increased to 3.91 μm. It captures RAW videos at up to 6K/30 fps or 3.9K/59.94 fps and photos with a resolution up to 24 MP. The diagonals for video recording and photo shooting are 26.4 mm and 28.3 mm, respectively. The larger sensor in the X7 not only delivers excellent photo and video quality but also up to 14 stops dynamic range.
2017-10-14
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If the image is sharper than the x5s I will buy.
2017-10-15
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-10-15 02:42
If the image is sharper than the x5s I will buy.

Hmmmm...
X5S pixel size is 3.4 microns, number of pixels  is 20.8 megs
X7 pixel size is 3.91 microns, number of pixels is 24 megs

The pixel size is increased 15%
The number of pixels is increased 15.3%

So, intuitively, the resolution increase is 0.3 %
It would seem following this logic, there's really not much to be gained with the X7 except for dynamic range. And, the larger pixel size of the X7 means better low light sensitivity.
2017-10-15
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

raven4 Posted at 2017-10-15 03:43
Hmmmm...

Agree, and then there is the quality of the four special lenses that only fit this and their quality.  If the 16mm is the same as Hassleblad's 16mm which was abandoned to Sony and still didn't score well with them, they'd better have very good lenses with the X7 for their high price for a slow-speed prime lens.

However, the blacks should pixelate less with the larger sensor pixel size though.

Have to wait for the reviews.
2017-10-15
Use props
Skyris
First Officer
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I felt the 100% crop of the x5s looked way too soft and almost like a 200% crop of a sony rx100v2 (similar pixel count).
I would love to see a 100% crop looking sharp on a dji platform.
I fly the s900 with a7r2 but just cant use this large drone on most shoots.
To justify spending $2200 aud on a lens it would have to be be sharp.
the aps-c size sensor is definley a jump up. And the extra resolution would help.
Come on dji.. I am hoping this time we have a camera a lens that work really well together

2017-10-15
Use props
fans41f3800c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 529836 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes it will be very exciting to have a new camera for $4000 that sits sideways on your inspire 2
2017-10-16
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
United States

Skyris Posted at 2017-10-15 14:07
I felt the 100% crop of the x5s looked way too soft and almost like a 200% crop of a sony rx100v2 (similar pixel count).
I would love to see a 100% crop looking sharp on a dji platform.
I fly the s900 with a7r2 but just cant use this large drone on most shoots.

It's a bit misleading to assume that you'll have better resolution with a larger sensor. The point is that the individual pixels are, also, larger. This negates the larger sensor for an overall 0.3% (.003x) improvement in resolution.
2017-10-16
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-10-14 14:24
What’s the point when the Inspire 2 can’t fly beyond 500 feet without losing signal or overheating the iPad cpu because the app is way too bloated.

blackwood i 100% cannot agree I haven't had any issues with cpu or being restricted to 500 feet i think you should contact and make sure your drone is unlocked with airports
2017-10-16
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

+1 raven 4
2017-10-16
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

EagleEyeUAV Posted at 2017-10-16 11:02
blackwood i 100% cannot agree I haven't had any issues with cpu or being restricted to 500 feet i think you should contact and make sure your drone is unlocked with airports

Unlocking issues are totally different from CPU problems and signal transmission problems.  With unlocking, the drone just won't go any further.  With CPU and distance issues, your screen starts getting choppy and eventually turns green.
2017-10-17
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

raven4 Posted at 2017-10-15 03:43
Hmmmm...

I'm having a hard time following your math.

The x7, by your count, has 15% more photo sites that are 15% larger than the ones on the C5s. This would mean a 15% increase in resolution, as well as an increase in sensitivity (and thus DR).

While we haven't seen any comparisons with the X5s, one would expect a significantly cleaner image off the X7 (similar to what we see with super35 cine cameras versus the M4/3 cameras of Panasonic and BMD.) Additionally, as the D lenses are purpose built, and at least appear to have generally strong MTF curves across the board, they would appear to have a leg up on the mishmash of M4/3 glass available for the X5s. I'm curious about the distortion characteristics of these lenses, as they will probably not be software corrected in ProRes. I still think DJI has priced the lenses too high. Most photographers know what a 50mm f2.8 lens costs, and so "pretending" they are cinema glass and pricing them as such probably isn't going to help the platform reach beyond a certain level of TV/movie production.
2017-10-29
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
United States

Barry Goyette Posted at 2017-10-29 13:22
I'm having a hard time following your math.

The x7, by your count, has 15% more photo sites that are 15% larger than the ones on the C5s. This would mean a 15% increase in resolution, as well as an increase in sensitivity (and thus DR).

Relative resolution is directly related to the ratio of  number of pixels to image frame size. However, I agree that better light sensitivity is a function of pixel size alone.
2017-12-3
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.2

United States

im guessing people are asking whats the point of the X7 upgrade/option.   
X7 is just a small evolution over previous... in grad scheme of things for most anyone maybe entirely pointless for most anyone.     is there a point to it? that depends on your specific use case!  like arguing Canon 5D Mark 3 vs Canon 7D  or Sony A9 vs Sony A7SII.  to most everyone wont be any advantages going for the latest and greatest vs the one been out a few years and not as premium priced.  but to some people, it is exactly the upgrade they need.  
2017-12-3
Use props
Advexure
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_MP6tU5Q Posted at 2017-12-3 18:36
X7 is just a small evolution over previous... in grad scheme of things for most anyone maybe entirely pointless for most anyone.     is there a point to it? that depends on your specific use case!  like arguing Canon 5D Mark 3 vs Canon 7D  or Sony A9 vs Sony A7SII.  to most everyone wont be any advantages going for the latest and greatest vs the one been out a few years and not as premium priced.  but to some people, it is exactly the upgrade they need.

Well said, the niche demands a Super 35 sensor that they can send airborne with a turnkey and reliable airframe and the I2/X7 combo does just that.

The low light content that some of our clients have been showing us has been unreal. Dynamic range improvement has been all it's made out to be.
2017-12-6
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

raven4 Posted at 2017-12-3 07:32
Relative resolution is directly related to the ratio of  number of pixels to image frame size. However, I agree that better light sensitivity is a function of pixel size alone.

I think you're having a hard time grasping whats going on here. You seem to be implying that the because the pixels are larger, they are capturing a larger area of the frame, and thus have less resolution. This would be the case if the the sensor size remained the same, and thus, the pixel count went down. In this case, the sensor size is increased, the pixel count is increased by 15%, and thus the resolution is increased by the same amount. As the lenses have been correspondingly adjusted to reflect the new sensor size, the camera placed at the same spot will have similar angle of view on the X7/x5s, and the resolution of that similar captured image will be higher in theory (DJI's use of a stronger OLPF and more aggressive Noise Reduction on the X7, appears to be making any resolution increase a wash at this point, but that's another, much more complicated, matter).
2017-12-8
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MP6tU5Q Posted at 2017-12-3 18:36

I think the x7 is largely a niche product in its present form. DJI has gotten a lot of interest from the film/TV industry since the introduction of the inspire 2. The x7 is a response to industry requests for a super 35mm sensor (similar to what is used to shoot 95% of motion pictures and TV Drama, and single camera comedy.) The specs of this camera are designed to reflect those of the Arri Alexa, which the vast majority of those projects are filmed on. Revolutionary? Only in that sense. That DJI is trying to show a specific audience that it can respond to it's requests. I think the DL lens platform is interesting though. It's largely a full frame system, which means it can be ported to an expanding array of cameras, purposed for still photography, scientific, and cinema uses.
2017-12-8
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Banned? What did I miss?

2017-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules