Newbie... can my iPad 3 run DJI GoApp?
6786 23 2017-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhatPastor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46148 ft
United States

I'm a DJI newbie... however I ve been flying RC for 20years... I just bought a barely used phantom 3 standard. The question I have is will my iPad 3 wifi only no GPS run the DJI GO app?
I have a iPad Air but it is almost full and I use it daily. I also have a iPhone 6s.

I just want to avoid problems down the road. I thought about buy a  Android tablet 7 inch 5.1 lollipop to be exclusive for my drone.

Your wisdom and  experience would be greatly appreciated thanks
2017-10-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Yes, your iPad 3 can run the app. The Air 2 would be better though. I would not consider buying an Android device to dedicate to the aircraft, as any iOS device would be better.
2017-10-14
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-14 15:35
Yes, your iPad 3 can run the app. The Air 2 would be better though. I would not consider buying an Android device to dedicate to the aircraft, as any iOS device would be better.

Ok thx  Geebax
2017-10-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DJI Go is available to run in tablet WiFi only. But the features of Follow Me which requires mobile GPS is not available, please kindly note.
2017-10-14
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-14 19:14
DJI Go is available to run in tablet WiFi only. But the features of Follow Me which requires mobile GPS is not available, please kindly note.

I don't understand?
2017-10-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Susan said;
You can use a tablet with wifi only, but for some flight modes, you need a device equiped with GPS.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-14
Use props
Spacer2711
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627979 ft
Netherlands

iPad 3 is fine. But, when your iPad has no cellular then there is no GPS. The cellular iPad has an A-GPS chip.
2017-10-14
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As has been said already - Yes it will. I have been flying wifi only since I started my DJI journey and had no issues at all flying, taking shots etc. Yes there are benefits of cellular devices but it hasn't effected my flight in any way. Planning flights helps a lot.
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With WiFi you can not cache maps in real time, use follow me flight mode or change the home point mid flight. That said, you can fly the drone and it has no affect on range or signal and maps can be cashed at home over WiFi before heading out to your flight location.
2017-10-15
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Susan,
the <F-Follow me> is the only function needs the GPS on the mobile but the other F flight modes use the copters GPS,my experience with my P3S so far.
But if the tab or phone has an accurate GPS receiver(mostly apple  devices) then the <follow me> is very interesting for your ride on a quad bike or car without any canopy between 20 and 50 km/h.

2017-10-15
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
United States

ACW Posted at 2017-10-15 10:33
With WiFi you can not cache maps in real time, use follow me flight mode or change the home point mid flight. That said, you can fly the drone and it has no affect on range or signal and maps can be cashed at home over WiFi before heading out to your flight location.

Most of my flights (at first ) will be from my yard... I will be within my home wifi range... also can I use my iPhone 6s as a hot spot then fly where ever as long as my iPhone has signal?
2017-10-15
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
United States

Most of my flights (at first ) will be from my yard... I will be within my home wifi range... also can I use my iPhone 6s as a hot spot then fly where ever as long as my iPhone has signal?
2017-10-15
Use props
PhatPastor
lvl.1
United States

2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, you can use your mobile as a hotspot before turning on the drone when you get there providing you have 3 or 4g cellular connection
2017-10-15
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

PhatPastor Posted at 2017-10-15 15:48

You need the iphone as hot spot to cache map for the iPad only. The phone is not needed to be in WIFI range of the Phantom. I have a small mobile hot spot as 2nd line if i had shut down my pad erratically,or i must reset the OS.
2017-10-16
Use props
Guvnor 1970
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2719022 ft
United Kingdom

Yes it will run the dji go app. I also use an iPad though it's the iPad 4 with wifi only. But once the drone & remote are switched on they create their own wifi spot. Good luck.
2017-10-17
Use props
djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk
New

Croatia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-14 19:14

Dear,
I have iPad 3 and I can't conect it to phantom 3 pro. Tablet is conected but there is no image from the camera. There is only "how to connect" message. Can you please help me?
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk
New

Croatia

I have iPad 3 and phantom 3 pro and I can't conect it. The device is conected but there is no image from the camera. Only "how to conect" message appears. Can you olease help me?
2019-5-27
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

Did you connect your P3P system with your IPad via lightnig wire yet ? P3S sholld be connected via WIFI and P3P via lightning wire between RC and iOS mobile .
2019-5-28
Use props
djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk
New

Croatia

Peterx Posted at 5-28 08:57
Did you connect your P3P system with your IPad via lightnig wire yet ? P3S sholld be connected via WIFI and P3P via lightning wire between RC and iOS mobile .

Dear,

I am conecting it with original iPad cable which I also using for iPad charging.
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk Posted at 5-27 21:14
Dear,
I have iPad 3 and I can't conect it to phantom 3 pro. Tablet is conected but there is no image from the camera. There is only "how to connect" message. Can you please help me?

Sir, just to verify, could the aircraft be controlled by the remote controller? If yes, you may reinstall the App or change to another working cable to check.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk
New

Croatia

DJI Susan Posted at 5-29 00:01
Sir, just to verify, could the aircraft be controlled by the remote controller? If yes, you may reinstall the App or change to another working cable to check.

Dear,
Yes, it can be controled by remote when is conected on Samsung S7 or iPhone 7 but when I conect it on iPad 3 I can't recive image from camera.
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_Ghhsh6MXjPUk Posted at 5-29 00:43
Dear,
Yes, it can be controled by remote when is conected on Samsung S7 or iPhone 7 but when I conect it on iPad 3 I can't recive image from camera.

It sounds like the compatibility issue as other mobile devices work well, sorry about that.
2019-5-29
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

How many USB A ports are installed on your RC,2? If the side port makes trouble then use the port on the bottom.
2019-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules