Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone hits Philippines Airliner near Quebec
12Next >
3028 60 2017-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Canadian Transport Minister, Marc Garneau (ex astronaut) announced today that a Philipines airliner was struck by an aerial drone near Quebec City last week.

A Skyjet plane was struck on approach to the airport.
This is the First time a drone has hit a commercial aircraft in Canada.

If convicted the drone pilot could face a fine of up to $25,000. Or prison time.

Skyjet flight heading to Quebec City’s Jean Lesage International Airport was struck by a drone on Oct. 12, said Minister of Transport Marc Garneau.
Emergency measures were immediately put in place and the plane was able to land safely, according to French media reports. No injuries were reported.
“This is the first time a drone has hit a commercial aircraft in Canada and I am extremely relieved that the aircraft only sustained minor damage and was able to land safely,” Garneau said in a statement released on Sunday.

Transport Canada advises that drones should be flown below 90 metres and at least 5.5 kilometres away from any airport, seaplane base or areas where aircraft take-off and land.
Thursday’s collision reportedly happened about three kilometres from the airport at an altitude of 450 metres.
“Transport Canada is monitoring the situation and is in contact with its transportation partners including Skyjet, the Jean Lesage International Airport and NAV CANADA. My department is in contact with the Service de police de la Ville de Québec and we will cooperate with the Transportation Safety Board should they decide to investigate,” Garneau said.
Garneau introducedi interim safety measures regarding drone flights earlier this year, which restrict where recreational drones can be flown.
“I would like to remind drone operators that endangering the safety of an aircraft is extremely dangerous and a serious offence,” he said.
Penalties for violating these safety measures include fines of up to $25,000 and possible face jail time.
Anyone who wishes to operate a drone is required to follow the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Very worrying if true, some people are total idiots.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-15 10:22
Very worrying if true, some people are total idiots.

I can't use the expletive, locker room words here, that immediately come to mind. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I REALLY hope they catch the idiot and make an example of him/her rather than the rest of us who are not that irresponsible and utterly stupid!
2017-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not good at all...
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's been a very busy year.
The news release says 1,596 drone incidents have been reported to Transport Canada in 2017, and 131 of them were deemed aviation safety concerns.

That's a lot of different drone pilots acting foolishly... Not only a few fools.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 10:39
It's been a very busy year.
The news release says 1,596 drone incidents have been reported to Transport Canada in 2017, and 131 of them were deemed aviation safety concerns.

You can't fix stupid
2017-10-15
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I can see the rules getting a lot tighter and the worst thing is the idiots who are causing the problems will just ignore them anyway.

The responsible pilots will suffer.
2017-10-15
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Fly safe and we can all continue to fly
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-15 10:44
I can see the rules getting a lot tighter and the worst thing is the idiots who are causing the problems will just ignore them anyway.

The responsible pilots will suffer.

Most other drones aside from DJI products, don't have the digital brains and safety features that we have onboard. So NFZ, and height restrictions may not be normal. Particularly if you were to build a drone from parts. You could pretty much fly anywhere, without feeling the app giving us flight errors.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2017-10-15 10:46
Fly safe and we can all continue to fly

Yes, US! But what about THEM, who refuse to cooperate?
Our latest drone regs and civic bylaws, are already too stiff now. What will happen after this, is going to be rough going.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems like more and more people(drone operators) are pushing their limits
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-15 10:55
Seems like more and more people(drone operators) are pushing their limits

Yes, no wonder DJI puts mandatory flight limits on us...

Keeping  the majority of us, inline... Attention!!

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Heavy fines should be given to these idiots!
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-10-15 11:29
Heavy fines should be given to these idiots!

Like he had his name and contact info, legibly written on the errant drone? Ha

Good luck, is my thought. Sure they will investigate the Hell out of this incident...

Finding the jerk, might be a long hunt.  Better get the RCMP involved.
They always catch their man.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah! you're right.
2017-10-15
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

These incidents will only increase.  There will always be people who will disregard  regulations, safe practices, etc.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

What can we all do, to help stop these bad news events from happening??

Besides having these conversations, and voicing our huge displeasure...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It wasn't from the Philippines and it wasn't an airliner, not sure how those details crept into the story.
It was a Kingair and it's not from the Philippines.
https://www.radarbox24.com/news/ ... y-a-drone-in-canada

It's interesting that despite the heavy coverage, there's not one report (that I can find) that gives any information at all to describe the damage or why they are saying it was a drone.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, a Skyjet plane was what the news stated.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/10/15/drone-collides-with-commercial-plane-in-quebec-city.html
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-15 16:31
It wasn't from the Philippines and it wasn't an airliner, not sure how those details crept into the story.
It was a Kingair and it's not from the Philippines.
https://www.radarbox24.com/news/ ... y-a-drone-in-canada

My reaction also. As Trump would say, without detail and sources, it is 'fake news'.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-15 17:42
My reaction also. As Trump would say, without detail and sources, it is 'fake news'.

For the sake of arguing, let's say that all negative drone news is fake. ;-)

Without pics or video, it never happened, right? Haha

Meanwhile the restrictions get longer and more involved, & now their machine guns are in my business.
Them or Us?

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 18:14

No, without any detail, like photos of the damage, or remains of the 'drone', it remains conjecture. And as commercial pilots think they own the skies, this sort of thing will continue.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-15 18:51
No, without any detail, like photos of the damage, or remains of the 'drone', it remains conjecture. And as commercial pilots think they own the skies, this sort of thing will continue.

Yes, & the best pics it video of this catastrophe are still in the dtone.

On the micro sd card. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 18:14

Without pics or video, it never happened, right?

It might have happened .... or perhaps it didn't.
Here's a case of a plane reported to have hit a drone:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-n ... ort-british-airways
And here's how that story ended ....
https://www.theguardian.com/tech ... ot-a-drone-incident

Here's a report of another incident:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ ... ort-Mozambique.html

And how that turned out ...
https://dronelife.com/2017/01/11 ... -not-involve-drone/

Without decent reporting giving some details of the incident beyond quoting the Transport Minister's no-details press release, we have no way to guess what the truth might be.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Here's one of our news reports:
http://video.theloop.ca/news/wat ... 98001/#.WeQ4BuvOerU
Video is in the article.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 20:41
Here's one of our news reports:
http://video.theloop.ca/news/watch/plane-hit-by-drone/5612266698001/#.WeQ4BuvOerU
Video is in the article.

Yes .... just another news report without any more evidence that the Transport Minister saying a drone hit a plane.
The large number of reports covering this alleged incident show how hot such a story si but until there are actual details, it's hard to get excited.

Here's another account from Australia of a reported drone/plane collision:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ne ... bdecd3d1f94eff01323

And here's what the investigation found....
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017- ... t-to-be-bat/8732174

When/if authorities have some actual evidence, I'll pay attention
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

When the African plane got struck, it certainly left a wicked dent & bruise. image.jpeg

This other plane sure got a good scuff up, and cracked fuselage from the drone which struck it.
image.jpeg

A larger drone, depending on its construction and ultimate mass/size could certainly cause a major air disaster.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

All the rules in the world will not stop this behavior. Rules currently in place would be effective if it were not for the fact that criminals don't follow the rules.    Drone manufacturers placing hardware and/or software limitations on their products will  prove to be ineffective as well, because firmware and software can be hacked, as has already been seen.  The only effect will be to restrict those who already follow the rules even more, which will also result in decreased sales for the manufacturers when word of restrictions gets out.  Clearly, the only effective action will be something more destruction based.   Unless the point of all this is, as in everything else, profit.  Filthy lucre.  Anti drone devices will be popular on airliners and at airports.  Maybe even with anyone in the general public who dislikes drones.  I see dark days ahead.  Nothing new there.
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 22:35
When the African plane got struck, it certainly left a wicked dent & bruise.[view_image]

This other plane sure got a good scuff up, and cracked fuselage from the drone which struck it.

When the African plane got struck, it certainly left a wicked dent & bruise.

You must have missed the follow-up link for that story.  There was no drone.
https://dronelife.com/2017/01/11 ... -not-involve-drone/

And a little digging shows that the damage shown in the pic you supplied was caused in laboratory testing - not a result of an actual plane/drone collision
http://www.popularmechanics.com/ ... ne-plane-collision/

Until some actual evidence comes from Canada, the only documented drone/plane collision so far was the P4/Blackhawk helicopter incident over New York a couple of weeks ago.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@Labroides, here is the web address linked to the pic:
http://spy-drones.com/2016/12/24 ... -shows-damage-done/
ah, but it's a mystery trying to find the corresponding article.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-10-15 22:54
All the rules in the world will not stop this behavior. Rules currently in place would be effective if it were not for the fact that criminals don't follow the rules.    Drone manufacturers placing hardware and/or software limitations on their products will  prove to be ineffective as well, because firmware and software can be hacked, as has already been seen.  The only effect will be to restrict those who already follow the rules even more, which will also result in decreased sales for the manufacturers when word of restrictions gets out.  Clearly, the only effective action will be something more destruction based.   Unless the point of all this is, as in everything else, profit.  Filthy lucre.  Anti drone devices will be popular on airliners and at airports.  Maybe even with anyone in the general public who dislikes drones.  I see dark days ahead.  Nothing new there.

We couldn't manage to keep our noses clean, or behave ourselves, so now our governments will give us the management tools, to do it for us. Nice.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-15 22:58
@Labroides, here is the web address linked to the pic:
http://spy-drones.com/2016/12/24/drone-hitting-a-plane-video-shows-damage-done/
ah, but it's a mystery trying to find the corresponding article.

I tracked it down - see post #30 above.
It's another photo of something that was not a genuine drone/plane collision.
2017-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-15 23:14
I tracked it down - see post #30 above.
It's another photo of something that was not a genuine drone/plane collision.

It's a field day, and free hunting, no tags required.  Drones are the new thing to attack.
Why are we RC pilots and drone owners being given such poor representation, like no respect?

I always thought of RC hobbiests as generally a darn nice group of regular folks.

Am I wrong?

RedHotPoker
2017-10-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-15 22:57
When the African plane got struck, it certainly left a wicked dent & bruise.

You must have missed the follow-up link for that story.  There was no drone.

'And a little digging shows that the damage shown in the pic you supplied was caused in laboratory testing - not a result of an actual plane/drone collision'

And all they did in that test was fire a concocted package at a radome. Two things are obvious, the only thing related to a drone in that test package was a DJI battery, and secondly, what you would refer to as the 'wad' that made the package airtight in the pneumatic cannon, did more damage than the battery did.  Any damage to a radome is consequential, and would be exteremely unlikely to compromise any aircraft. Airlines expect collisions with the nose radomes as a fact of life.

I don't believe this test conducted by any respectable aviation agency, more like a simple one cooked up by Mythbusters in a studio. No credibility whatsoever.
2017-10-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Guys .... the real problem is not whether these incidents are real or not ...

The real damage is the Public Perception ... the Officials reactions .... and Courts actions when a person is answering a charge.

Once even 'fake news' is out - it causes a ripple that spreads out far and wide. When 'fake news' is shown to be fake - it never gets the same amount of coverage ... so a large % of those who see the original fake story never get to the truth.

I am in a group that works with Latvian CAA and ultimately EU body putting together Rules for RC model flying. The single biggest item on the agenda : Drones !

And in that - there is one factor that is a constant battle - removing the unsubstantiated, most likely falsely reported incidents.

Sadly for all RC flying - Drones have made it Hot News. If a Drone pilot sneezes in a park while flying - he's hit something or an incident has occurred.

So Guys - it doesn't really matter if a drone hits or not - it's already happened as far as Joe Public and stupid news reporters are concerned. That then leads onto Legislators ....

Nigel
2017-10-16
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cnn is finally reporting this. What took them so long? This happened Thursday the 12th didn't it?  http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/16/ ... enger-plane-canada/
2017-10-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2017-10-16 02:31
Cnn is finally reporting this. What took them so long? This happened Thursday the 12th didn't it?  http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/16/technology/drone-passenger-plane-canada/

What took them so long is they don't want to report fake news - but they apparently decided to do it anyway.  I will assume it was a goose until I see or hear of evidence otherwise...
2017-10-16
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

I just saw the CNN article this morning. Per that article the drone was at around 1500 ft. If that's really the case, they need to throw the book at that pilot. That's just wrong.

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 72741
2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight
2017-10-16
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think pilots use this chart when reporting incidents..
22459443_1231288260304778_3654245620555966450_o.jpg
2017-10-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules