Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone hits aircraft
1204 14 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeeWireless
Second Officer
United States

Statement by Minister of Transport about a drone incident with a passenger aircraft in Quebec CityStatements
October 15, 2017           Ottawa              Transport Canada
The Honourable Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport, today made the following statement about a drone incident in Quebec City:
“On October 12, 2017, a Skyjet flight was struck by a drone while inbound to Jean Lesage International Airport in Québec City. This is the first time a drone has hit a commercial aircraft in Canada and I am extremely relieved that the aircraft only sustained minor damage and was able to land safely.
“Transport Canada is monitoring the situation and is in contact with its transportation partners including Skyjet, the Jean Lesage International Airport and NAV CANADA. My department is in contact with the Service de police de la Ville de Québec and we will cooperate with the Transportation Safety Board should they decide to investigate.
“Although the vast majority of drone operators fly responsibly, it was our concern for incidents like this that prompted me to take action and issue interim safety measures restricting where recreational drones could be flown. I would like to remind drone operators that endangering the safety of an aircraft is extremely dangerous and a serious offence. Anyone who violates the regulations could be subject to fines of up to $25,000 and/or prison. This applies to drones of any size, used for any purpose. All airports, helipads and seaplane bases are “No Drone Zones” if you do not have permission from Transport Canada. For 2017, to date 1,596 drone incidents have been reported to the department. Of these, 131 are deemed to have been of aviation safety concern.
“I would like to remind the public that all drone users are required to abide by the Canadian Aviation Regulations, including the Interim Order Respecting the use of Model Aircraft. Transport Canada encourages all drone users to learn about the rules and to consult the wide variety of educational tools available on our website at www.Canada.ca/drone-safety.”

2017-10-16
Use props
Javey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

That's unfortunate.  It's tough, it seems like places where we can fly are getting more and more restricted.  I wonder how long it will be until you just can't fly drones anymore without having a commercial license.  For every responsible operator there are 100 irresponsible people out there.  Time will tell.
2017-10-16
Use props
jksphoto
Captain
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

You have to be some sort of idiot yo even contemplate flying near an airfield let alone a main airport. This is why the drone hobby is getting locked down, because some mindless fool is trying to get their 5 mins of fame footage on YouTube.  
2017-10-16
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

With the SPARK and the relative "low" price if compared with other drones, the chances of having an accident  was greatly increased. A lot of posts (her, Youtube) , "I bought a drone to my daughter", "look this amazing pictures from 300 or more meters high", "able to fly modified SPARK at 60 km/h",etc. So irresponsibility is out there.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/dji-launches-drone-identification-and-monitoring-system-aeroscope/

2017-10-16
Use props
Adomolis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 219219 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Article about the incident.
https://petapixel.com/2017/10/16 ... enger-plane-canada/
I hope the idiot gets jail time.
2017-10-16
Use props
Javey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503458 ft
United States

Whoa...1500 feet?  Why?!  That's the kind of stuff that gets drones banned...
2017-10-16
Use props
jyc
Captain
Flight distance : 2114475 ft
Canada

jksphoto Posted at 2017-10-16 07:57
You have to be some sort of idiot yo even contemplate flying near an airfield let alone a main airport. This is why the drone hobby is getting locked down, because some mindless fool is trying to get their 5 mins of fame footage on YouTube.

The pilot was flying at 1500 feet, outside the 5.5 km distance required.
2017-10-16
Use props
_pk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 696 ft
Poland

Reading about accidents like this one, I start to wonder if obligatory pilot license is not a good idea. On the other hand... a driving license is a must to drive a car and yet we still encounter a huge number of idiots in the road...
2017-10-16
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

in all honesty if someone hits an aircraft with a drone and doesn't get caught they can just go buy another unfortunately. what should be done is exactly what the FAA in the USA is working closely with companies ATM is to have the drone detect other ac in the area and lower altitude or land the ac autonomously. I am sure other countries would be harnessing similar technologies. i also dont think it would be a bright idea to have everyone having a commercial license i would much rather see people having a hobbyist licence of some sort. we dont need everyone and their sister and brother having business taking from which is already established.
2017-10-16
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

jyc Posted at 2017-10-16 08:58

The sad part is he broke the Canadian Regulations which states that you can not fly higher than 90m; no where near the 1500 ft he was flying.  Regardless if he was within/or outside of the No Fly Zone he was in violation of regulations.

This makes me very upset as to the blatant disregard for rules and regulation which means now Transport Canada may put on more restrictions.  In the end we will all suffer this idiots actions.
2017-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2399075 ft
Netherlands

jyc Posted at 2017-10-16 08:58

It does not say that he was flying 5.5 km away from the airport.
and it’s estimated that the drone was flying at about 1,500 feet (~450m) above the airport airspace when the impact occurred.
2017-10-16
Use props
jyc
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-16 11:19
and it’s estimated that the drone was flying at about 1,500 feet (~450m) above the airport airspace when the impact occurred.

I read that on CNN, I guess they were wrong.
2017-10-16
Use props
jyc
Captain
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-10-16 11:19

On CNN I read more than 5.5 km away from the airport, but yes the pilot contravened the regulation.
2017-10-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2399075 ft
Netherlands

jyc Posted at 2017-10-16 11:58
On CNN I read more than 5.5 km away from the airport, but yes the pilot contravened the regulation.

Ok, I was confused as the article mentioned the 5.5km but only in a NFZ context.
2017-10-16
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

This is terrible...
2017-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules