Upgrading to P3 or not?
12Next >
4677 41 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jearimotheis
lvl.1

United States

I'm torn, the camera upgrade was the biggest improvement for me. But of course I've only had my P2+ for a few months...
Single SelectVote, Total 93 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-4-8
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

If my P2 ever drops out of the sky due to some unknown catastrophic reason as seen in the many posts on this forum, I will never buy another one.....at least from this company.
2015-4-8
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

I wanted to pick two options #1 and #4... Im upgrading and keeping my P2V+. I know Im taking a gamble and will end of being a beta tester but for $1 grand and 1.2 mile range I'll take the risk. Im also waiting for 3dr's announcement on Monday however I doubt it will have the control and video range of the P3 plus I think it will be more expensive.
2015-4-8
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.2

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-9 02:19
If my P2 ever drops out of the sky due to some unknown catastrophic reason as seen in the many posts ...

My P2V+ version 3 with the defective wires and no version escs are still going strong. 52 flights on one and 21 on the other.....Just fly and have fun...No point in worrying!!!
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

Honestly - Deciding between the Yuneec Q500 $1299 with hand steady cam OR Phantom 3 Professional $1259.  

The DJI Pricepoint honestly shocked me- I heard $2000 - but I expected a whole new platform and not the same frame as previous Phantoms....

$999 is a bargain for P3 - and $1259 is reasonable for P3Pro, 4K and Backpack!

The Yuneec has some great features though....tough decision.

ALSO - 3DR announces new drone on April 13th but I guarantee it will be $$$

Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

What is your opinion of the comparison?

Yuneec Q500 Typhoon - $1299

- Larger than Phantom
- 2 Batteries!
- stable indoor flight (more than P2)
- more aggressive flight angles (more than P2)
- wonderful controller
- follow me feature
- detactable cam with steady cam for handheld filming (a real plus for ground filming too)
CONS - small intergrated video display in controller, limited video range, Camera only offered in 1080i, cases are $$$

Phantom 3 Professional - $1249

- New ground sensors
- slightly improved battery
- DJI App and photo/video software
- 4K Camera
- Backpack included
- Lightbridge - much improved video range
- Improved controller
CONS - 1 Battery?  DJI Firmware updates, No WAY Points right now??  4K Camera means I will WANT a 4K TV...+$$$$

Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i plan to keep my 2 P2s and add a P3 when they are stable.  No drone birth control in this family!!
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-4-9 02:28

This is like talking to Apple people about buying Samsung products.  Why are you here?
2015-4-8
Use props
csiami
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23711 ft
United States

I am very impressed with the new P3.  4K Camera and Lightbridge alone are worth the upgrade.  I really like the ground sensors making stable indoor flight possible is very cool! The new transmitter adds more function and some nice little touches like the stands as well.  Nice not having the range extender sticking out there.  I'm completely sold and would upgrade right away but I'm seeing there's no Ground Station?  That's a deal breaker for me.
2015-4-8
Use props
aladrian
lvl.1
Netherlands

Actually, I was worried they would find a way to make the P3 smaller than the previous Phantoms.  The main charm of this thing is it fits in a Pack.  I was going in circles for a month trying to decide what was more important... and being portable is way up there.  

I'd have built one from bits, but I worked out that the phantom's body is doing a lot (lifting gopro and gimbal) with a very small size.

I bet the P4 comes with smaller everything.. THEN I'd be in a state for having just bought a P2 with Zenmuse and Blackpearl.

Al...
2015-4-8
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

If my bird fell out of the sky last week like it did a few weeks ago, I never would have rebuilt it thinking anything would be newer so soon.  But, I am happy with my quad and my upgrade will be to something beyond a Phantom whenever the time comes.  I am in no hurry.
2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

DNG/Raw DJI
2015-4-8
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

I'm barely learning how to fly the P2 and still need a lot of practice so I'm good for now. I'm VERY surprised by price points though. I have a backpack and they are very nice, so it being part of the package is a good deal. I have no issues waiting for a newer revision either.
When will they put a dang zoom lens (not digital) on it? That's what I'd like to see.

Barney
2015-4-8
Use props
don
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26821 ft

United States

When I am ready to add another quad to the family, I will keep my P2+ and possible add an Inspire. I am eager to so see if the there will be any change in the price point of Inspire 1 with the release of the P3.
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

I am good for now though seriously tempted with the Pro model....
I have a nephew that took a bit of a shining to my P2V+ v3.0 on the weekend, I will have to see how much of a shining it really was!
Would love to have two but my wife is as interested in these as I am in her horses..nice to look at but no fun to steer for me!
2015-4-8
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

North.. here's a buying point for you. vs.   Vet bills, feed, mucking time, feed time, feed, vet bills, tack, feed, feed. (annual cost= more than an inspire).     Just a little "inspirational" help from Houston!  
2015-4-8
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

The price is very surprising with everything it comes with. The P2 V+ is still selling for nearly the same price......soon to come down. I am waiting to see some of the posts that come in after they have been flying a few weeks.....and too much invested right now.
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-4-9 10:23
North.. here's a buying point for you. vs.   Vet bills, feed, mucking time, feed time, feed, vet bil ...

I cover the bills for the two four legged hay burners for the most part and trust me...i know what it costs! if not so broke from the horses i could buy a new Quad every 2 months or have a nice sports car in the driveway that did not eat while i slept...Uggggh....Oh!..Did you forget the shoes? Every 6 weeks! and thank god Nike do not make horse shoes...But to that end...She is worth it....it keeps her busy and away from the malls and all the rest of that crap...and she is happy and an awesome wife and mother and one of the best cooks on the planet!!
2015-4-8
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i'm torn.  the lightbridge is a game changer but the gopro will still have better resolution combined with better frame rate.  several producers have told me they have to have 4k video and at least 30 fps.  that's gopro hero 4+ black territory right now, right?  if the p2 with h3-4d gimbal drops enough i will buy another one and invest in gopro cameras.  
2015-4-8
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-4-9 13:40
i'm torn.  the lightbridge is a game changer but the gopro will still have better resolution combine ...

I'm going to wait and not buy everything they put here as window candy.  I'm still in the market for the s-800 or the 1000.  That's my goal for this fall.
2015-4-9
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

Im selling my P2V+ V3 on ebay. Look at it this way, for people who crash their P2s, or want spare parts on hand, theres going to be lots of cheap parts availble right now lol.  I dunno why Im laughing....I just took a loss but what the hell....
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2015-4-9 10:23
North.. here's a buying point for you. vs.   Vet bills, feed, mucking time, feed time, feed, vet bil ...

Bahamas,

A few minor calculation errors in your note: >Inspire=no, >inspire x 10=maybe???

Jerry
2015-4-9
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-9 11:56
I cover the bills for the two four legged hay burners for the most part and trust me...i know what ...

OH yea... forgot about the shoes!!   Happy wife is the important part!   
2015-4-9
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-9 11:56
I cover the bills for the two four legged hay burners for the most part and trust me...i know what ...

Now that's more like it !!!

Jerry
2015-4-9
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I think you need another selection in the vote category:

5. Adding P3 to my existing squadron for reprogramming into "SWARM MODE"
2015-4-9
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-9 18:58
I'm going to wait and not buy everything they put here as window candy.  I'm still in the market f ...

I feel the same, Gerry.  Would consider the S1000+ since most people i want to fly for will have a camera.  But I am sure i will buy the P3 also.  
2015-4-9
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

One neat feature of the Phantom 3 battery is that it does not turn off instantly when you push the power button, there is a small built in delay to allow the memory card to finalise the recording if you have forgotten to stop it before switching off.
I know its normally a mistake you only make once, but I thought it was nice of DJI to think about it.
Little things that that impress me...
2015-4-9
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-10 14:25
One neat feature of the Phantom 3 battery is that it does not turn off instantly when you push the p ...

That's an excellent addon.
2015-4-9
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-10 14:25
One neat feature of the Phantom 3 battery is that it does not turn off instantly when you push the p ...

I like that as well, I was out on the weekend and had video on and was near empty in fuel,
Wind was going crazy so all I wanted to do was land which I did safely, forgot to turn off the video and damn...that would have been a good feature to have....oh well...maybe next time!
2015-4-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jerdel Posted at 2015-4-9 20:49
Im selling my P2V+ V3 on ebay. Look at it this way, for people who crash their P2s, or want spare pa ...

You will take a loss one month after you get the P3 too (on paper). It's the old "drive it off the lot and lose money" story.....

I ordered a P3. I don't need it but since I get paid to write about them I figure I better know some of what I am talking about. Having the best job in the world....I'm not forced to sell the P2 immediately. Wifey is happy if I show her I'm paying for the stuff with income from book sales, ads on the site, etc.
2015-4-16
Use props
mvonditter53
New

United States

4K video is a total waste of money unless you nose is right up against the screen when you are watching. The only thing it buys you is great resolution if you are cropping an image. The rest is nothing but add hype.
2015-5-30
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

I'll be sticking with my P2V+ V3, besides, I have no choice!
I can't afford a P3 let alone a nw P2+ (I guess I'll never have an Inspire? lol)... Put it this way,  I started saving for a Phantom 1, by the time I saved up enough money from my disability pension the one I have now was released, then I still had to buy it as used from ebay for $1,200... (bring out the violins lol)

The bottom line is, I just HAD TO have one hahahaha

Life wasn't meant to be easy!
I've got my Phantom and my Harley, I'm happy, who needs anything more?
2015-5-30
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

To go up or not is strictly preference and pocketbook. I have 2
P2v+  and am very happy. My ground station and waypoint flying is fantastic. So my preference is to stay right now I get new candy when the old is gone. As I said preference and pocketbook.
2015-5-30
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

One big problem with the P3 is that the step up in quality makes you expect more...that is, when you have a basic camera you expect basic shots, but as the camera and lens and bird gets better, you (or at least I) start to look worse!

As I told my dad, the P3 now outstrips any talents I have to make creative videos and pics...which is good in some way, bad in others. I always liked seeing what I could do with the cheapo stuff (toy quads and little cams)......it was  more of a challenge. Even with the P2V+ I knew that it took some doing to get decent output.
Now , with the P3, my lack of true camera knowledge is  too evident.

But for those of you with more camera knowledge, it's really a step up...to say nothing of it's better abilities in terms or GPS, etc.
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

BazzaVMC Posted at 2015-5-31 10:12
I'll be sticking with my P2V+ V3, besides, I have no choice!
I can't afford a P3 let alone a nw P2+  ...

I hear ya! I think my next one ( I am still trying to convince my wife) will be the Solo. I think it's the next generation of UAV's.
2015-6-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-3 01:26
I hear ya! I think my next one ( I am still trying to convince my wife) will be the Solo. I think  ...

l'm giving it serious thought too. The only thing holding me back is the lack of video. They show only very short clips, and l want to see awesomely stable footage from their gimbal before l decide.
lf you decide to take the plunge l hope you'll manage to give us some reviews (though not here of course )
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-6-3 02:27
l'm giving it serious thought too. The only thing holding me back is the lack of video. They show  ...

They are starting to ship.....the gimbal is backordered until July so I am waiting too.
2015-6-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-3 02:49
They are starting to ship.....the gimbal is backordered until July so I am waiting too.

l saw that too. My first thought was: how refreshing to know upfront that you're not going to get it right now BEFORE unloading your money.
2015-6-2
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-6-3 02:51
l saw that too. My first thought was: how refreshing to know upfront that you're not going to get  ...

They are bundling a free battery if you order the Solo and gimbal. I guess because of it being on backorder.
2015-6-2
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

hey can you add >> 5. none of the above
2015-6-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules