Finally Happened: Crash Phantom 3S Need Advice
1244 7 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chandavi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252290 ft
United States

Well finally crashed my drone.  So stupid I won't even bother to say how.  Just that it's in pretty good shape for the drop. Pretty good at electronics and soldering, can anyone tell/show me where the BLACK wire gets reattached in the gimbal platform?   Thanks

pulled black wire

pulled black wire
2017-10-16
Use props
OriontheHunter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 532913 ft
United States

The black wire connects inside the top housing right behind the micro usb port. If its torn out of the actual drone housing, .... sorry, I have no idea where it goes. good luck, fly safe.
2017-10-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It snaps on to the board  .You will see it when removing the gimbal.  If it snapped the post, might as well get a new camera.  That happened to me once.
2017-10-16
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

the wire is broken and not repairable. You have to replace the wifi antenna which come in pairs. They have the wires built in with tiny snap connectors at the end which snap into the gimbals under a tiny hatch for each of the two antenna wires. The upper housing of the p3 has to be removed , the circuit board lifted to access the two antenna. Two antennas; , one black wire,  one grey.
The wires cant be soldered. See this for repalcing the antennas.
https://phantompilots.com/threads/disassemble-the-p3-s.108198/
2017-10-16
Use props
chandavi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252290 ft
United States

Ok. Thx for the info. The black wire was pulled from the little snap under the “tiny hatch”. Since it was pulled clean from the snap, I pushed the wire back into the snap and applied a bit of solder and reassembled.   Initial tests good will try more tests tomorrow. Thx again for your help!!
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to read the crash. Please start a case and send it in for fully diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-10-16
Use props
Saskebaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

chandavi Posted at 2017-10-16 19:41
Ok. Thx for the info. The black wire was pulled from the little snap under the “tiny hatch”. Since it was pulled clean from the snap, I pushed the wire back into the snap and applied a bit of solder and reassembled.   Initial tests good will try more tests tomorrow. Thx again for your help!!

Good Job...
2017-10-17
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not believe you have corrected the problem. That cable is a very small piece of coax cable. Meaning there is a center conductor surrounded by a shield. The snap connector is a MMCX connector. If you look at it closely you will see a center pin and a slightly larger round cylinder shield for the ground connection. There are 2 conductors one center and one shield. Repairing the connection may not be possible as I believe these connectors are crimped on and not soldered.

There are 2 antennas on the drone for diversity. So the drone may appear to be functioning as the other antenna may not have been damaged. But you will experience poor reception at distance if one antenna cable has been damaged. Space diversity antennas help to eliminate dead zones. The 2 antennas are located in the landing gear then routed to the receiver located on the gimbal board. The P3S is the only drone that has the receiver on the gimbal board. However all the DJI Phantom series have the antennas located in the landing gear. The antennas are cheap and should be replaced. The compass is also located in the landing gear. It will be the 3rd cable going to one area on the landing gear.

Inspect the small MMCX connector on the PC board. Hopefully it did not get damaged or pulled off the board.

Best of luck ~ Bill
2017-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules