Now the question - Yuneec Q500 or Phantom 3 Pro
19011 17 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
briankiser
lvl.2

OK I have been waiting for the P3 to announce so I can decide on my new upgrade....

What is your opinion of the comparison?

Yuneec Q500 Typhoon - $1299
- Larger than Phantom
- 2 Batteries!
- stable indoor flight (more than P2)
- more aggressive flight angles (more than P2)
- wonderful controller
- follow me feature
- detactable cam with steady cam for handheld filming (a real plus for ground filming too)
CONS - small intergrated video display in controller, limited video range, Camera only offered in 1080i, cases are $$$

Phantom 3 Professional - $1249
- New ground sensors
- slightly improved battery
- DJI App and photo/video software
- 4K Camera
- Backpack included
- Lightbridge - much improved video range
- Improved controller
CONS - 1 Battery?  DJI Firmware updates, 4K Camera means I will WANT a 4K TV...+$$$$

ALSO - 3DR new Drone announcement April 13th - Do we wait to find out the details on the New 3DR?  It will be hard to match the pricepoints that DJI just announced on the P3!

I really like the look and feel of the Yuneec....and I really expected a whole new platform for the P3...

Please share your thoughts and add to anything I missed!
Brian

2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

P3

Reasoning:

1. Flexibility in terms of the display
2. DJI Cameras are better, IMHO.
3. Smaller form factor...

IMHO, these are flying cameras - with the emphasis on CAMERA. If we look at it that way, there is no comparison. I'd rather have a smaller camera that comes with a larger display (at my option) that takes better pics and videos.

What am I missing? The Q500 may be a decent machine - but it was a year overdue in the first place. 3DR is at least a year behind the curve, so unless you believe in magic they are unlikely to come out with a price/performance matching machine...

BUT, if you are a tech geek and need the features of the APM or Pixihawk type of FC, that's another thing.

If you want a flying video camera...I don't think the DJI stuff can be beat.
2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

DJI shoots Raw/DNG.  
2015-4-8
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

This is what I am also pondering Yuneec Q500, or Phantom 3?, I didn't see where they said that the Phantom 3 has "follow me" feature like the Q500, nor did they mention waypoints. I won't jump into purchasing any of these until I have more info. I have emailed Yuneec and asked them if the Q500 has a waypoint setting, and they have never answered my question, no response at all! and I asked twice. I wonder if the camera and gimbal on the Phantom 3 is as delicate as the Phantom2 Vision plus?
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

The delicacy of the Phantom 2 Vision + cameras has always concerned me.  I currently own the PV2 FC200 camera which seems to be pretty robust but lacks the steady cam feature. I have yet to crash but it seems that the PV2+ cams don't survive most first crashes. The Yuneec seems to be a great performer and the cam does look a little more solid but who knows?  Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Wait for the launch of the 3DR.....Might be good to compare that one.
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

TomWolves Posted at 2015-4-9 03:13
This is what I am also pondering Yuneec Q500, or Phantom 3?, I didn't see where they said that the P ...

Hey Tom - I called Yuneec today (number at bottom of their page) and the guy in technical support picked up on the first ring - answered all of my questions. I don't like the Q500 limited video range  and attached tablet but did find out that you can use other wifi tablets.
Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-4-9 09:59
Hey Tom - I called Yuneec today (number at bottom of their page) and the guy in technical support  ...

Good to know!, Thank you Brian. I might give them a call myself and ask them if the Q500 has waypoints? I think I would like the follow me feature too. I could keep my Phantom for waypoints and Have the Q500 for follow me please! Best of both worlds. I can't believe the new Phantom 3 doesn't have any of this stuff.
2015-4-8
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

My next drone purchase will be all about the 4K video. I have been watching the latest Inspire 1 videos every day on YouTube and every day I am completely blown away. If you want to make video that is actually valuable, the Inspire 1 is the way to go. As an amature I could happily make do with the Phantom 3 Pro but we shall see what NAB and the rest of the year brings in the way of new drones.
2015-4-8
Use props
Seaduner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7619229 ft
  • >>>
Canada

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-9 11:01
My next drone purchase will be all about the 4K video. I have been watching the latest Inspire 1 vid ...

I was all set to buy the P3 with 4K, but when I found out it had the same gimbals/camera problem with exposed cable, that was a deal breaker.  They didn't even include one of the aftermarket retainer brackets to minimize the risk.  DJI knows this is a problem, so I'm puzzled why they didn't fix it.
2015-4-22
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

I had some questions about the 3DR Solo and some of their software the other day. I decided I would shoot them an email, so I did. I had a response in about 5 minutes. It took over a week to get a response from DJI regarding a question I had. I've read some very positive comments on other forums regarding the technical and customer support that 3DR provides. I like my Phantom 2, I think it's a good product, but I think down the road unless they start providing some better support these other companies will eat them up.
2015-4-23
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Same here, my Phantom is only 3 months old. I will wait and see what kind of problems they have, see what kind a support they get. I'll also watch the P3 to see what kind of issues they come up with. At the time I started looking at these things over a year ago, the Phantom was the only one that really impressed me. Now days there is a choice.
2015-4-23
Use props
Igor_1949
lvl.2

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-23 19:09
Same here, my Phantom is only 3 months old. I will wait and see what kind of problems they have, see ...

Contact me at my yahoo house my son and I'll teach you how to fly and have fun without a Phantom.  After all, we will ALL be Phantoms at some point in the future!
2015-4-23
Use props
Seaduner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7619229 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK, here's the reality of the these quads, IMHO.  I have a Q500+ now, but would like to get the P3 soon.

Brian, after flying the Q500+ for 3mos, here's my opinion on your comments.  I recently saw two P3's flying and talked extensively with the owners and their experience.

- Larger than Phantom
Yes, the Q500+ is larger, and it's a problem if you want to back pack into the wilderness.  I'd prefer something smaller that fits easily into a reasonably sized backpack.

- stable indoor flight (more than P2)
Maybe, but the  P3 has the indoor sensors specifically designed for indoors flying, and the P3 is smaller, better for indoors.  I'd never fly my Q indoors, it's too big.

- more aggressive flight angles (more than P2)
Not true if you fly GPS enabled.  The Q500+ only goes about 15mph, the P3 goes over 30mph with GPS enabled.

- wonderful controller
The ST10+ controller is good, and it has a built in monitor, granted.  However the video wifi technology loses video connection at about 1000ft.  P3 will go a mile!  When the Q500 loses the link, it takes forever to reconnect, the P3 never loses a full video link, it typically drops a portion of the video (horizontal lines), indicating you're on the edge of connection integrity.  You never lose 100% video connection like the Q500+ does all of a sudden when you get to the edge of the video range (1000'). The ST10+ controller video screen will all of a sudden FREEZE, until you reconnect by returning home close enough to reconnect, a real hassle.  

One cool feature of the P3 is you can immediately play back the video in your Android/iPhone monitoring device.  This immediate playback is lower resolution than the 1080 or 4K video you can retrieve, but it allows a quick review of the shot, confirming you got the shot you were planning for.  The ST10+ with Q500+ doesn't support that at all.  You have to remove the SD card from the camera after it lands, put the SD card in a computer, retrieved the video, then you can play it back, and hopefully you got the shot!   The immediate review in 720 resolution is an awesome feature.

- follow me feature
Yes, it does follow the ST10+ controller,  however it will only do about 15mph.  It's not fast enough for many things you might want to do, like motorcycles, dunebuggies, skiing, cars, boats, etc.  It also supports WATCH ME, which keeps the camera pointed at the controller.  Works well.  The Q500+ DOES NOT support waypoints at all, and Yuneec has stated it never will.

As for 3DR, I'm hoping this craft is a home run.  However, early reports indicate it uses WiFi technology for the video downlink.  This will be a deal breaker for me.  All that handshaking with TCPIP in WiFi slows down the video, the latency is too high and reliability of signal is dismal if it's standard WiFi technology.  That's exactly why DJI put LightBridge in the P3, to get away from the handshaking hassle.  The video latency in Lightbridge video link is really impressive, about 150ms.  

I really want a P3 for my next quad, however the poor customer support everyone talks about is a deterrent.  That seems like such an easy thing to fix compared to designing these products.   I would assume this stems from poor management of their US operation, specifically their top guy in the US.  He's to blame IMHO, poor leadership.  That's really too bad, I really want a P3.

2015-6-25
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

Good feedback from everyone, thanks!

Barney
2015-6-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Q500-The p1 is a little less than two years old . It has already been retired(Still Cost around $400 Though).
My P2 now has a shelf life(That Was Not Advertised By This Company or Anyone From This Company) of about 12 more months . Judging by how fast this company is not supporting their loyal customers I would say that you cannot go wrong with a Q500.

Let's be generous here . Let's say the new P3 stays under support for 3-4 years(I Personally Do Not BelieveIt Will) .
Consider money spent , time in repair , firmware updates that have got to be created by the competition(Sheer Frustration Factor Alone) , and consistency of  video quality (Which Will Be Hindered By The Squirmware Updates) . I say hell no to a P3 . The track record alone of the company that produces the Q500 rivals DJI in my eyes .

No I am not a DJI hater. Cultural differences , in my eyes do not excuse the lack of reverence to the golden rule . I promise you Frank Wang does not do business with companies modeled after this one .
2015-6-26
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-23 11:48
I had some questions about the 3DR Solo and some of their software the other day. I decided I would  ...

Yup, and that one point more than any other reason will be the reason I turn my back on DJI.
2015-10-4
Use props
julietzhu520
New

Japan

i have read a similar guide about this, here for your reference:dji phantom 4 vs yuneec q500
2016-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules