Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Now the UPGRADE question - Yuneec Q500 or Phantom 3 PRO?
12Next >
9217 47 2015-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
briankiser
lvl.2

OK I have been waiting for the P3 to announce so I can decide on my new upgrade....

What is your opinion of the comparison?

Yuneec Q500 Typhoon - $1299
- Larger than Phantom
- 2 Batteries!
- stable indoor flight (more than P2)
- more aggressive flight angles (more than P2)
- wonderful controller
- follow me feature
- detactable cam with steady cam for handheld filming (a real plus for ground filming too)
CONS - small intergrated video display in controller, limited video range, Camera only offered in 1080i, case options expensive

Phantom 3 Professional - $1249
- New ground sensors
- slightly improved battery
- DJI App and photo/video software
- 4K Camera
- Backpack included
- Lightbridge - much improved video range
- Improved controller
CONS - 1 Battery?  DJI Firmware updates, 4K Camera means I will WANT a 4K TV...+$$$$

ALSO - 3DR new Drone announcement April 13th - Do we wait to find out the details on the New 3DR?  It will be hard to match the pricepoints that DJI just announced on the P3!

I really like the look and feel of the Yuneec....and I really expected a whole new platform for the P3...

Please share your thoughts and add to anything I missed!
Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

You don't have the get the 4K one.. There is one 1080p version  as well...
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

WOW, this takes guts and arrogant.  Soliciting a competitive product on DJI sites!

I give this post 3 minutes before it is pulled.   
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-9 02:52
You don't have the get the 4K one.. There is one 1080p version  as well...

Ronny,
You can still shoot at 1080/720 etc. on the Pro camera, for me a no brainier as it is kinda future proof and comes with the backpack...
image.jpg
2015-4-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

I want one of each!...But I can't...
Only because I am familiar with the Phantom and problem free I would do the P3P..I love the new controller, get to select my own tablet etc...that said, i do like a lot of what I have seen on the yuneec as I think it has follow me mode etc...
P3P is based on a proven platform, I really think the GS is a game changer and the flight simulator and I love that new camera virtually distortion free, flight log, ground sensors etc. are all things that appeal to me anyway....
2015-4-8
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

Does the Phantom 3 have waypoints?
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

TomWolves Posted at 2015-4-9 03:18

Phantom 3 does not have way point capability at this time - may be included in future updates?  Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

TomWolves Posted at 2015-4-9 03:18

Phantom 3 does not have way point capability at this time - may be included in future updates?  Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 02:56
WOW, this takes guts and arrogant.  Soliciting a competitive product on DJI sites!

I give this post ...

Really??   Its a forum - some of us are analytical - not arrogant.

I  for one do not believe any one item is the best for everything - we all are interested in the hobby.  Personally I own 4 different drones by 3 different manufacturers - they all have pros and cons.  

I feel sorry for you if you live life without questions.
Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
t.mcwaters
lvl.3
United States

Brian, now I for one would have already had a 4K TV before even thinking of spending money on a Quad such as this. But you aren't taking in some key facts for a lot of flyers. One, Yuneec has a camera with no audio...don't you think that silent films are a bit outdated. I'm not even talking flight ones. What video are you going to take with the handheld and not have audio? Second you can't fly FPV with that camera, too much delay, and it doesn't down link in hi-res either. A spare battery is $100 for the DJI from a more often than not respectable company. How long has Yuneec been in this business...Just cause they sell roses doesn't make them a florist.
2015-4-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

bro check this with parachute http://www.hubsan.com/productinfo_14.html
2015-4-8
Use props
t.mcwaters
lvl.3
United States

Bro? That thing has been on the blackboard for 2 years and is barely a whisper of finally being made.
2015-4-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

as i heard base on expo will that product releases this april
2015-4-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I give this post ...

I don't have to pull it.  You and others have already discredited the poster.  
2015-4-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-9 08:29
I don't have to pull it.  You and others have already discredited the poster.

ed this guy ACENOTHING is the most arrogant, trollers and bashers here in dji forum try to look his post history.
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-9 08:59
ed this guy ACENOTHING is the most arrogant, trollers and bashers here in dji forum try to look his ...

I agree - aceOFnothing tends to be argumentative and trolls frequently. B
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

t.mcwaters@ymai Posted at 2015-4-9 08:00
Brian, now I for one would have already had a 4K TV before even thinking of spending money on a Quad ...

Thanks for sharing - I didn't realize that the video cam didn't have a sound option - that is pretty short sightened. Anyway - I do a lot of sports filming with music, some interviews so the no sound isn't horrible news for me - real estate stuff doesn't need sound except background etc.
BTW - I am also a Home Theater buff -  I have a 135" 1080P 3D Theater - im waiting for more content to be available in 4K before I jump into that ring...
I do like the Phantom app, reliability and ease of use - just wanted other opinions - I will prob opt for the P3 Pro to score the backpack and future 4K option but prob will film mostly in 1080 to begin with.

Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

United States

t.mcwaters@ymai Posted at 2015-4-9 08:00
Brian, now I for one would have already had a 4K TV before even thinking of spending money on a Quad ...

Also - Yuneec has a pretty impressive aerial - manned and unmanned- history - and several patents - I would say they are a decent "florist".
Yuneec History

Brian
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-4-9 09:49
Also - Yuneec has a pretty impressive aerial - manned and unmanned- history - and several patents  ...

Not bad - looks like they are a "contact manufacturer" mostly.....and if you look at the history of the Blade 350 Quad you'll find it not up to snuff as far as the total package and value....yes, I've flown and tested them!

A bare 350QX is a nice quad - you can get the older models as low as $300 - but the current model is somewhat of a "hairball" of trying to make a heavy-duty AP quad out of something which was not designed to do the job.

I study the market very closely...and am frankly amazed that other companies have came out with such weak offerings. I think they just don't have their eye on the ball - for example, Horizon (and Yuneec because their revenue depends on Horizon) have tried to be everything to everyone in terms of planes, heli's hobbyists, etc....which means they cannot devote the resources needed to R&D...for the AP models.

Anyway, the Q500 seems an OK machine. But this is a DJI board...so it's probably best to discuss all the other machines on RCgroups and other independent forums.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I give this post ...

Dude, I know you aren't you the same guy that was inside of Starbuck trying to see me on that cheap-ass ground coffee from Russia?
2015-4-9
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Well I too am a bit disappointed with this new Phantom 3.  
The Yuneec Q500 has a screen built in to the controller - I like that as it saves some cash.
It doesn't look like any improvement has been made to protect the delicate gimbal on the new Phantom 3 - so don't like that.
I'm looking for another quadcopter and the Yuneec looks to me like it will fit the bill this time.
2015-4-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-4-10 00:31
Well I too am a bit disappointed with this new Phantom 3.  
The Yuneec Q500 has a screen built in to ...

The Yuneec is honestly miles behind the Phantom3. The App alone is a reason to buy the P3 and of course the DJI LIghtbridge. The P3 has a better controller, the yuneec controller is cheap compared to the P3, the P3 uses a controller similar to inspire one. The yuneec has a small and crappy LCD screen, the P3 can be used with a tablet like Ipad, what is better? The latency of the yuneec is really bad, cant offer the range and HD FPV. Im not even sure it can take RAW fotos. The P3 uses basically the Inspire camera. The whole product yuneec Q500 looks cheap in my opinion. Maybe the new 3DR will be a more serious competitor to the P3 but DJI has definately a bit of an techologfy advantage i would say. Lets see what 3DR will release
2015-4-9
Use props
briankiser
lvl.2

Daninho Posted at 2015-4-10 01:48
The Yuneec is honestly miles behind the Phantom3. The App alone is a reason to buy the P3 and of c ...

I  think you addressed all of the issues and concerns I had as well.  I did confirm that you can link another tablet to the Yuneec - but latency has also been a concern.

I do agree - The Phantom and DJI software does all things well.

I dont think 3DR will touch the Phantom low price!  - the Phantom 3 prices were much more aggressive than I expected - I was very impressed with the price point.

Brian
2015-4-9
Use props
kss113
lvl.2
United States

briankiser@me.c Posted at 2015-4-10 03:07
I  think you addressed all of the issues and concerns I had as well.  I did confirm that you can li ...

I have no knowledge on the Yuneec, except what I saw on their website.  They do offer more accessories which I think DJI should do.
But since the P3 is not out yet, does it's software (minus waypoints ect..) out weigh it?

Now when you say it does all things well what do you mean? What are you comparing the P2 or the P3 (which is not out to public yet)?  Just trying to compare a drone that is not out to the public to a drone this is?  Is there a Yuneec under development which then you can compare the P3 with that one?  
2015-4-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

kss113@hotmail. Posted at 2015-4-10 09:10
I have no knowledge on the Yuneec, except what I saw on their website.  They do offer more accesso ...

There is a new Yuneec with 4K camera but again, the yuneec will never have the features of the P3. The lightbridge alone is a 1300 dollar product in the stand alone version. I doubt the yuneec 4K Camera can compete against the P3 which has basically the inspire camera. In every aspect the yuneec is below the P3
2015-4-10
Use props
chris765_2000
lvl.1
United States

It is my opinion that the Phantom 3 Professional is the best in its class. I don't think the other quads in the same price range come even close. What I'm most excited about is the integrated Lightbridge. When I bought the Phantom 2 Vision + I didn't initially think it would be that important to me. I found it very useful while filming the town in which I grew up. I was able to follow streets after the drone was well out of visual site. Everyone asked how I could see it when it was so far away. I'd only recommend doing this in an rural area in which you are very familiar. The Lightbridge was probably the biggest factor in my decision to purchase the Phantom 3 over other copters.

The next best option would be to build one yourself and I think that would cost 2-3 times what you'd pay for the phantom. The custom quads allow you to use SLR cameras such as the Canon Mark II. And with all that extra money it seems to me that the custom built quads are only marginally better than the Phantom 3. The other advantage the P3 has is its size compared to most custom built quads. I like that I can easily fit the P3 in a backpack for hiking and trips. I've taken my P2+ on trips and through airports easily.
2015-4-28
Use props
dnercesian
New
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to add a few thoughts from the perspective of a long time professional architectural photographer. I work on mainly commercial architecture projects but also higher end residential and celebrity homes. We have, for now, eliminated DJI as a source for tools for professional use due to our poor experience with customer care having to do with the Inspire 1. A product of that high a cost can not be used for professional production indefinitely without the availability of spare parts and with repair service that checks the equipment in 2 weeks after receiving it and needs an additional 6 weeks to turn around. Production is expensive to shut down for a day, much less 2 months. That makes it an expensive and neat toy, but nothing more. Knowing that we would have to wait 2 months, we decided not to send it in and pay for repairs and bought new systems from different manufacturers, throwing out the damaged Inspire 1 with the trash.

One of the platforms we've been trying out is the Yuneec Q500+. If you are considering this quad, I hope I can give you a fair perspective so you know what to expect. First of all, it is EASY to fly, especially for filming purposes. The ability to adjust the rabbit/turtle mode incrementally on the fly is a major bonus when maneuvering around buildings and objects for reveal shots and so on. You do not need to be a great pilot to get pro shots, which is wonderful because I don't think I am anywhere near the best pilot out there. The signal strength is not bad either, but keep in mind that the work that I do keeps me in fairly decent range of the craft, generally within line of site. Having flown Phantoms, Inspire 1, Align M690L and M480L, and many more, I have to say that flight wise, the Q500+ is the best I have experienced thus far, which was shocking. Also keep in mind that I am not chasing jet boats or any other vehicles, for which an Inspire 1 would be the one to keep up the pace. Unfortunately, even with some serious trimming in the software, the Inspire's desire to take off like a bat out of hell made my work very difficult.

Now the downside. The Q500+ caries the CGO2+ camera, which shoots in 1080p. Prior to the Yuneec, I had no problem mixing Inspire footage with footage from a Sony A7S. I have to say I was very impressed with the Sony camera that DJI decided to employ on that platform. Personally, I thought the 4K looked outstanding, as did the DNG files. As a company, I can not recommend enough that people stay away from DJI, but hooking up with Sony was VERY smart of them. Now, Yuneec is coming out with a 4K camera setup soon, and you do not need to buy a new drone either. In fact, they are doing a trade in program so you can upgrade cameras for a few hundred bucks. Not bad! Without having tested one myself though, I have no way of knowing how it will match up to the awesome Sony camera in the Inspire, and the release of this unit has been delayed a few times with recent suggestions that it should be out in the beginning of July. An interesting factor is that Yuneec has another multi rotor coming out in the future that will carry a GH4 or the like, but also has an option to carry an 18x zoom camera. This is interesting because the internals of that zoom camera are none other than Sony! One can only hope that the CGO3 4K camera for the Q500 will also have Sony guts. I can't discuss this anymore as the anticipation is burning a hole in my stomach lining.

Something else to consider... Yuneec has very good customer support. They actually pick up the phone quickly and do their absolute best to help. They sell all spare parts for their products as well. I am local to DJI and to Yuneec here in Los Angeles, and while DJI absolutely would not let me bring the Inspire in for service (they wanted me to ship it 15 miles), Yuneec has told me that I can bring in equipment any time to their location. I would much rather be involved in business with them any day over DJI which seems to have actual contempt for their customers. The only things I can say I miss about the Inspire is the camera and some of the controls in the app. Yuneec is addressing this (hopefully) with their 4K camera and a firmware update to the transmitter which will allow some of those app controls to be integrated into the ST10 interface. Knock on wood!

So where does the Phantom 3 come in?

The other day while editing some footage, I called up a friend at a drone shop and had a long discussion with him about the P3. The conclusion I came to was that a P3 with retract landing gear could actually work for me as a stopgap until something better comes along or until Yuneec gets their stuff out. This would bring back the camera quality and the app control I prefer, and it wouldn't be such a hassle dealing with DJI since the price of the P3 makes it a throw away (Don't jump on me for saying this. When you use these things often for business and are getting paid what we get paid, it all becomes relative). So while the Yuneec is capable of getting spare parts and quick repairs, thus costing less to operate than simply throwing an entire unit out, the thought of moving to a P3 as a stopgap is being bounced around at the moment. I just hope I can trim the controls enough to get it to fly like I can get the Q500.

Of course, if you are not using these items in this manner and can't just throw one away, then I highly suggest you hitch your wagon to a company that does not have as overwhelmingly bad a reputation as DJI for post sales support.
P.S. The 3DR Solo is a great idea with some bugs that I am sure will be worked out shortly. While it has the ability for modular payloads, the current design to work with a GoPro Hero 4 is a decent option. I have found a source here in California for a really high quality rectilinear lens replacement for the GoPro, so that is a HUGE bonus. HOWEVER, the Sony guts inside the Inspire and P3, I feel, are still superior in a lot of ways. Still, pretty close... Consider that GoPro will release more cameras in the future as well, so upgrading is inevidable. 3DR is also a pleasure to work with, so none of the DJI headaches there either.

2015-6-28
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 259 ft
United States

dnercesian Posted at 2015-6-29 10:10
I wanted to add a few thoughts from the perspective of a long time professional architectural photog ...

Yuneec Q500 4k   
2015-6-28
Use props
dnercesian
New
  • >>>
United States

You wouldn't, by any chance, have seen footage from one yet, have you?
2015-6-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I dont know how everyone knows so much about this its not even out yet, looks like the remote sucks, However unless dji can come up with a firmware upgrade, to solve "the problems of the few," And With more and more competitors refineing there tech, they (the competitors) are gaining ground.

Does anyone remember the blackberry, how about Nokia.  how about karma, Dji better support there arrogance soon, in the form of a software upgrade or a recall on units that are of less than favorable operation.  My unit does not support the vps system, my altitude readings are screwed up, and now the range of my lightbridge is degraded from the last update. Oh yeah and lets not forget the video lag.

My unit worked great when I first got it, Now, all considered my p3 is barely a click above my p2v+.
My p2v+ is absolutely rock solid.  My p3 was great for the about the first month, now I have  all of these new features, that were not on the p2, none of them work quite right.  In my case everything that I bought the p3 for, in place of my p2 , does not work,  this drives me nuts.

My return time of 30 days ran out about a day or so before I upgraded my phantom, and screwed it up.
If I had it to do over I would have NEVER bought the p3 and I would have bought an Inspire,  I have contacted the people where I got the p3 and have made them aware of the circumstances of the 30 day. return running out at about the same time as dji practically rendered my phantom unflyable.

I am still flying my p3, but not much, I will wait another couple of weeks to see what happens.  If a firmware upgrade does not come soon.  This thing is going back one way or the other.  I will get an inspire and hope that other manufactures with better service and comparable products (that work as advertised) will soon be available.

Looking at all of the new equipment coming out, it wont be long until some ones unit will be breathing down dji's neck.  Its on the line Dji.  I hope you can restore my p3 to a point of operation that is at least as good as when I purchased it.  Soon!
2015-6-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-9 08:06
bro check this with parachute http://www.hubsan.com/productinfo_14.html

Why do all of these other manufactures remotes look like they came with a cheap game from wal mart?
2015-6-28
Use props
dnercesian
New
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-29 12:25
I dont know how everyone knows so much about this its not even out yet, looks like the remote sucks ...

I'm not sure that my response to a company's bad practice and service would be to purchase their even more expensive model, but to each their own. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
2015-6-28
Use props
sns
lvl.2

Ukraine

You should simply compare videos from both devices. That is this easy.
2015-6-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

dnercesian Posted at 2015-6-29 13:49
I'm not sure that my response to a company's bad practice and service would be to purchase their e ...

Frankly I am not sure either,  I wanted the Inspire for some time, I would certainly look at  the reports on it , and the hardware configuration, If it is all integrated like the new p3,  or if it had any of these quirks in it at all I would send it back the next day, My p3 was fine until the upgrade was applied, about 30 days after I purchased.  I am out of the of the 30 day return window now.  I have never been placed in a situation like this, with any thing I have ever purchased in my 66 years,  I love the tech. in the p3 , the looks of it all,  However, everything that I purchased the p3 for,  does not work properly now,  I am sick about this purchase,  I would have waited had I known. I still have hope though that DJI can finish developing there product. I am absolutely blown away, that they released a product that they did not have "the unidentified bugs" worked out.
2015-6-29
Use props
rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

P3 gets my vote, seen both and own the P3
2015-6-29
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.3

United States

I almost bought one of those and then I learned that they will not operate above 8000 feet elevation, not altitude but elevation.
2015-6-29
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

wordsaremything Posted at 2015-6-29 22:55
I almost bought one of those and then I learned that they will not operate above 8000 feet elevation ...

Check the remote for a 500+ at a shop somewhere.  It feels great in the hand and the screen and display awesome!  They supply it with a 5200 mah single cell battery for it, a lot of flight on just one charge with it.
2015-6-29
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

Flatline74 Posted at 2015-6-30 07:32
Check the remote for a 500+ at a shop somewhere.  It feels great in the hand and the screen and di ...

One more thing, the 500+ battery is set up so you can use your own charger.
1249$ for a Yuneec q500+, comes with case and two batteries already supplied. You are not waiting on the second one
2015-6-29
Use props
Flatline74
lvl.2
United States

sns Posted at 2015-6-29 15:01
You should simply compare videos from both devices. That is this easy.

The 4k 500 is not out yet, to compare.  One more week!
2015-6-29
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question why do you need 4k is your TVs 4K ready do your clients need or 4k? I just purchase the 1080 P3 AND TO BATTERIES
2015-6-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules