1261 19 2017-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

Anything to get the shot I guess!! Haha
The crash of the mavic was not the shot, but it became the shot.

Remember to do your hazard assessment BEFORE you fly, not just "wing it" Or in this case - wingless.
Amazing how resilient the Mavic Pro is!

2017-10-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I can't believe how some people treat their equipment.
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Fun video!   Unfortunately it's yet another case of the automatics causing a crash when they are supposed to prevent them.  I'm not sure I would have thought to double-check all my settings before flying through that window either.

"If we cut all the blades down to this size, it'll work".  Haha!
2017-10-16
Use props
FanOfFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1983760 ft
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-16 19:36
I can't believe how some people treat their equipment.

AG0N-Gary
Do you really think someone would do that on purpose?  Doesn't seem like they did that on purpose at all to me.... just a simple trying to fly in a tight space kind of thing.
2017-10-16
Use props
FanOfFlight
Second Officer
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-16 19:40
Fun video!   Unfortunately it's yet another case of the automatics causing a crash when they are supposed to prevent them.  I'm not sure I would have thought to double-check all my settings before flying through that window either.

"If we cut all the blades down to this size, it'll work".  Haha!

Does seem like they were having fun at least,  I don't think I would have known to turn off the VPS either, as it seems logical to use it for indoor flight, which this was.   I guess that's the lesson here, a tight space like that with limited space under the VPS sensor may cause you issues, despite VPS being helpful for indoor flight.

No harm if all that was lost was those blades, they looked like the old style, and I'm sure the new ones would be better anyway!
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

FanOfFlight Posted at 2017-10-16 19:57
they looked like the old style, and I'm sure the new ones would be better anyway!

Hmmm I'm not so sure.  I don't think the new props will cut glass as well because of the geometry.  Perhaps the OP will let us know after he tries it out?
2017-10-16
Use props
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

FanOfFlight Posted at 2017-10-16 19:57
Does seem like they were having fun at least,  I don't think I would have known to turn off the VPS either, as it seems logical to use it for indoor flight, which this was.   I guess that's the lesson here, a tight space like that with limited space under the VPS sensor may cause you issues, despite VPS being helpful for indoor flight.

No harm if all that was lost was those blades, they looked like the old style, and I'm sure the new ones would be better anyway!

Those were ODD, they were 4 pairs of Chinese knock offs for 14 Cnd dollars, including shipping.  Glad they broke that way and not just from flying around.  But Yeah, I had no problem with those blades. Actually 1 of the 4 survived..  Now to get my hands on the new version of blades!   
I should have known about the vps,  since when I hand catch or try.. it runs away on me..  well  UP.  Ahh live and learn.  That mavic is amazing for what it has gone through and still lives.  I have only ever broken blades.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

That takes guts. I treat my drone as a baby, I'll never do this. And for the safety of flight, we don't recommend flying the drone like this.
2017-10-16
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I figured ATTI mode would not be all that difficult.  After flying my Mavic for many many flights outdoors, I tried my first indoor flight and promptly crashed into a wall.  Sigh . . ., but luckily, no damage.
2017-10-16
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I certainly don't treat my Mavic like a baby.  Shaking the Mavic violently to decrease the sound level is liable to damage the gimbal.
2017-10-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

FanOfFlight Posted at 2017-10-16 19:51
AG0N-Gary
Do you really think someone would do that on purpose?  Doesn't seem like they did that on purpose at all to me.... just a simple trying to fly in a tight space kind of thing.

As a matter of fact, I know they do stuff like that on purpose.  And they post videos on YT.  It seems like there were a lot of different cameras set up to monitor the event, as in staged.  If not, so be it.  Apologies.
2017-10-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-16 20:44
I figured ATTI mode would not be all that difficult.  After flying my Mavic for many many flights outdoors, I tried my first indoor flight and promptly crashed into a wall.  Sigh . . ., but luckily, no damage.

Flying ATTI mode it not an issue, and easily done.  What IS an issue is having it switch from GPS to ATTI without any warning, causing you to crash it.  If DJI would give us control of P/ATTI like the Phantom has, we could lock it in ATTI and count on things happening as they should.  The unpredictability is what kills drones.  I get decent GPS coverage many places in my house, not even near a window.  I would not trust it to fly there at all, because you never know when you are going to lose the signal.
2017-10-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very bad.
2017-10-17
Use props
FanOfFlight
Second Officer
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-17 10:02
As a matter of fact, I know they do stuff like that on purpose.  And they post videos on YT.  It seems like there were a lot of different cameras set up to monitor the event, as in staged.  If not, so be it.  Apologies.

I do not think this is the case on this video.  the stuff on that channel is pretty tame and looks mostly like going out and filming and not anything real exciting at that, just mountains and rivers kind a of thing.   don't get me wrong, decent footage and looks crafted with some pride but nothing to make me think this was on purpose.

do you know these guys?  you seem to indicated "I know they do stuff like this", but I cant see anything on the channel that promotes or aligns with this being a regular type of post by them/him?

Either way,  if VPS was in fact causing it to gain height as they flew through that window, that would be something to note and learn from.    I'm going to choose to take this as lesson shared.
2017-10-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

FanOfFlight Posted at 2017-10-17 13:16
I do think this is the case on this video.  the stuff on that channel is pretty tame and looks mostly like going out and filming and not anything real exciting at that, just mountains and rivers kind a of thing.   don't get me wrong, decent footage and looks crafted with some pride but nothing to make me think this was on purpose.

do you know these guys?  you seem to indicated "I know they do stuff like this", but I cant see anything on the channel that promotes or aligns with this being a regular type of post by them/him?

No, I don't know them.  When I say I know they do stuff like this, I probably could/should have said "people do stuff like this", not pointing at the OP.

Either way,  if VPS was in fact causing it to gain height as they flew through that window, that would be something to note and learn from.    I'm going to choose to take this as lesson shared.

Yes, it is noteworthy.  I think there might be a place for a 'GOTHCA' list - a list of things a person of reasonable intelligence might not realize until it happens.  For instance, dropping down into a narrow cut far enough below the horizon that GPS is no longer reliable, even though you are standing right above it trying to control it.  It goes out of control for some unknown reason and you lose it.  Or, you go down and land on the "floor" of the canyon but can't take off because when you restart it, you don't have decent lock.

As for not seeing anything on their YT channel indicating this is normal for them to do, I don't normally look at anyone's channel.  I look at the video posted here and that's it.

2017-10-17
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That almost made me sick to my stomach
2017-10-17
Use props
FanOfFlight
Second Officer
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-10-17 17:56

No, I don't know them.  When I say I know they do stuff like this, I probably could/should have said "people do stuff like this", not pointing at the OP.

I like the idea of a Gotcha list is a good idea.  There certainly seems to be some of those that you either someone else do it before you get a chance to find it, or your the one documenting it.  I think that would be a helpful kind of thing that this sort of VPS information fits into along with your other examples, which I didn't know about (like landing in a valley!, I would not have made it down safe in some places I have thought about doing that in!).

I gotcha' list is a good idea, and your points are an excellent start to!

2017-10-17
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Pointless........
2017-10-18
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft