Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
High wind just not where I was flying!!!
1480 12 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

Was having a good flying session yesterday, missed the sunrise but got in some nice shots regardless, decided to push the drone higher than I’ve ever been before just to see what the footage would be like higher up.
There was no wind at all
But kept getting “high wind velocity warning”
I panicked & decided to come back down! The p4 didn’t seem to be responding & instead was going higher
I was almost touching cloth at this point!
I pressed the rth button on the remote & still nothing.
Luckily I eventually managed to start bringing it down, don’t know how because I didn’t do anything different.

Then decided to have another go without going so high & again got this high wind velocity warning
So decided to pack in for the day.
55 miniute drive for a 6miniute fly!
2017-10-17
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Photo taken from drone
03994D2D-A9D6-4F05-91D1-C08C77E1587C.png
6907CE93-8A0F-4C6C-961C-043F9234968E.png
66AFD3D5-EE53-46EA-81F0-3E772E0711C5.png
2017-10-17
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Video edited by dji go
2017-10-17
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Might be interesting to look at the log file if you upload to: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/

The log file may show if there was a wind at altitude, if it really was yesterday then we had hurricane Ophelia near by!

The going up under RTH may have been it trying to fly over the big obstacle - it was being blinded by the Sun if still facing in the same direction as your photos...
2017-10-17
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yes yesterday
It was a strange day to say the least
On route the fog was so thick I didn’t even think I would even get out of the car, it was a lovely warm morning,
Then about an hour and a half later it all changed. This was right on the east coast, & friends I spoke to living on the west coast had it quite different!
Perhaps air pressure etc from the storm was there just not at ground/sea level
2017-10-17
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2017-10-17 11:53
Yes yesterday
On route the fog was so thick I didn’t even think I would even get out of the car, it was a lovely warm morning,

Yes, odd weather yesterday, here it was calm at ground level but I could see the clouds were moving fast, too fast for drones, I took these photos from the ground at 10:30AM :

This was on the south coast, there was also a smell of burning Portuguese forests!
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Generally, the high wind warning will appear when the wind speed is more than 7m/s in the air. Take care and lower the aircraft when the message appears.
2017-10-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2017-10-17 11:53
Yes yesterday

The wind up high is ALWAYS stronger than down at ground level.
And the higher you go, the faster the wind is.
2017-10-17
Use props
Daniel777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 712 ft
Australia

I get strong wind warning on every flight .....
2017-10-17
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-17 19:56
Generally, the high wind warning will appear when the wind speed is more than 7m/s in the air. Take care and lower the aircraft when the message appears.

I have flown my P4 several times with winds gusting well over 7m/s (15 MPH). No issues other than the obvious ones of making sure I didn't fly my drone down wind so I could not get it back again. I have to say it worked really well even when the wind was over 20 MPH. The trick is to grab the drone out of the air with the wind blowing right to left or left to right and never towards or away from you. The high speed wind warning would have been useful in some situations. One time my drone was making almost no forward progress at all even in sport mode. The wind aloft must have been over 40 MPH. Yikes!
2017-10-18
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Yes, considering the storm in your region, it is very likely that winds aloft were much stronger than the surface.  It is quite normal to seeing varying wind speeds at different altitudes.  You can get wind shears, updrafts, downdrafts, and varying direction and all in the same area over a short time depending on conditions, terrain, and weather systems.
That said, I have been constantly getting wind warnings when there really shouldn't be any.  So much so that I'm starting to ignore them as I'm never shore if they are real or not.  When technique I've heard about is switching to ATTI mode to see if you get any drift, which may indicate that there is some stronger winds aloft.
I agree with Nigel, the sun could have been spoofing your sensors in to thinking there was an obstacle thereby causing it to climb.  We need to see the log to really know for sure, or at least see if there is some clue as to why.
2017-10-18
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Daniel777 Posted at 2017-10-17 22:12
I get strong wind warning on every flight .....

So do I.      The message has become an annoyance rather than an aid.

2017-10-20
Use props
HONSE99
New
United States

I’m having the exact same issue after the update.
2017-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules