Turn off the RTH ALARM
18558 54 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I imagine a future with autonomous cars beeping all way home.
In the name of security.
And a booming sledgehammer sale.
2017-10-23
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2684 ft
United States

"I imagine a future with autonomous cars beeping all way home.
In the name of security."

It will happen. Blind people are demanding some sort of noise maker on electric cars as it is.    When an electric car is stopped at a crosswalk or going down the street they make little noise.  Blind people have no
clue the clue the car is their.  Mr. Lorry alarm will love this.  The ADA want an alarm or noise maker placed on all new cars to help the blind people detect them.  So car just sitting at a crosswalk will be beeping away as per a law for the ADA.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11 ... d-pedestrian-safety

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nat ... new-u-s-safety-rule
2017-10-23
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

How about in a future update, once RTH is triggered, you have the ability to toggle the alarm on/off.

That should make everyone happy!

By default it should always alarm, but then you have an option to turn off.

:-)

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago
2017-10-23
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

In the USA, I am not sure the FAA or any of the hobby organizations (if flying as a hobbist) would allow a RC model/drone designed to be turned on and the pilot leaving the immediate area.  Or, allow a flight plan that requires the use of the Return To Home function in order to land.  To land that way because the pilot is not nearby enough to manually land.  Not safe.  The government would say no to that flight plan even if the pilot secured the area, then left.  See and avoid ability by the pilot is one of the needs a new RC model must meet.   

If you can't land it manually because you can't see what is going on at the landing zone, you shouldn't be flying it.   It, by description, violates the see and avoid rule.

Clip the speaker wires or unsolder it.  Relying on RTH sounds like a risk, to me.  BTW.  I am pretty sure the Spark can't beep itself during return to home due to the fact that it doesn't have a speaker.  Most brushless motor controllers vibrate the motors to make the beep during initialization/startup.  It couldn't do the beeps while running the motors at speed while flying.
2017-10-23
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-10-23 20:27
In the USA, I am not sure the FAA or any of the hobby organizations (if flying as a hobbist) would allow a RC model/drone designed to be turned on and the pilot leaving the immediate area.  Or, allow a flight plan that requires the use of the Return To Home function in order to land.  To land that way because the pilot is not nearby enough to manually land.  Not safe.  The government would say no to that flight plan even if the pilot secured the area, then left.  See and avoid ability by the pilot is one of the needs a new RC model must meet.   

If you can't land it manually because you can't see what is going on at the landing zone, you shouldn't be flying it.   It, by description, violates the see and avoid rule.

The previous post isn't persuasive to get your flying changed.  It is an argument on why you won't see the alarm turn off as a feature on the Spark.  Dji won't reap any benefits implementing the feature and would bring themselves government hassles.  
2017-10-23
Use props
fans3841f7df
lvl.2
Flight distance : 722343 ft
  • >>>
Finland

There's some situations that I've lost a bit in repeating patterns when flying home. I could use map to point the direction, but it''s easier to use RTH, specially when you running out of battery.
To fix annoying beep that is distracting people around you in the city area, it would be nice to have fe. 3 volume levels to select for the beep. Also when RTH is activated there could be a different flash pattern in the RC. Discreet would be OK sometimes, but activating RTH is not.
2018-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans3841f7df Posted at 2018-1-25 11:23
There's some situations that I've lost a bit in repeating patterns when flying home. I could use map to point the direction, but it''s easier to use RTH, specially when you running out of battery.
To fix annoying beep that is distracting people around you in the city area, it would be nice to have fe. 3 volume levels to select for the beep. Also when RTH is activated there could be a different flash pattern in the RC. Discreet would be OK sometimes, but activating RTH is not.

You must look at it as a safety feature not for the pilot but for those who are around the landing area of the incoming drone, so if they can hear it, it’s doing its job , what’s basically happening is a drone is coming in to land no longer under the control of the pilot. This is what it is for, if you had the option to turn it off or turn down the volume then most drone users would use this option and defeat the whole purpose of having it there in the first place.

In your manual it clearly tells you only use RTH in emergency situations, so if you are choosing to use it when it suits you, then you will be well aware that you have no choice but to put up with the beeping.
2018-1-25
Use props
Amalia Saputro
lvl.2

Indonesia

Use this patched firmware to mute the sound
2018-6-23
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

mute your mobile phone sound !!
2018-6-23
Use props
CrunchyChris
lvl.2

United States

sparkguygc Posted at 2017-10-17 16:28
Understand both statements about the need for it... (for emergency and to do exactly what you didn't want it to do is, alert people around you that a drone is flying nearby not under pilot control)
I don't think you can turn off the beep other than by physical means (cut the speaker in remote?)

Strongly agree
2019-3-2
Use props
bugalugs22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67684 ft
Australia

S.J Posted at 2018-6-23 05:11
mute your mobile phone sound !!

Muting the mobile won't help if you are using the RC. The issue I see with it is that people might turn off the RC. Modify the RC to remove the beeper. Throw the RC in a bag to muffle the sound or run modified firmware. In the hands of someone with lack of experience it might not end well.
2019-3-2
Use props
silpheedx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11936 ft
United States

This beeping so loud and annoying its ruining our flights. DJI stupidly assumed that everyone is within cell phone range. I am not. I go on long trips in the middle of no where. Every time despite setting a new home location the controller continues to scream and scream. Because there is no cell phone connection the app can't update its new home and find out map info. So the beeping continues to scream and scream.
This "feature" is annoying garbage. It should be as easy as changing a setting from the DJI app to stop the beeping permanently. This Apple like mentality that your customers are morons and you have to lock everything down is insulting.
2019-5-20
Use props
Florin1up
New
Flight distance : 6299 ft

Netherlands

I had the same problem. I see no reason for that beeping while drone is coming back, so I modified my remote.  But who wants to do it, soldering skills are required. Here is how: dji spark remote buzzer off
2020-5-21
Use props
Florin1up
New
Flight distance : 6299 ft

Netherlands

Florin1up Posted at 5-21 07:53
I had the same problem. I see no reason for that beeping while drone is coming back, so I modified my remote.  But who wants to do it, soldering skills are required. Here is how: dji spark remote buzzer off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVcH-t49hxE&feature=youtu.be
2020-5-21
Use props
Rand6
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

If it just beeped for a couple seconds to warn you and kept the visual warning in the display, that would be SOOOO much nicer than the horrible persistent continuous overly loud annoying beeping. Just give us a way to silence it like it seems the Air can do by tapping the power button.
2021-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules