Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Turn off the RTH ALARM
12Next >
18549 54 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2684 ft
United States

How do you turn this stupid ALARM off.

Today I'm doing some quick photos of some easily distracted school age children perfforming an out door play.  At the end of the flight during thier performnce I hit reurn to home.  And the dam alarm will not shut up!

Try to use RTH and have it land back on top of the building on it's own.  But know every little kid is looking at my direction and forgeting places and lines etc.  Just wanted to pop the Spark off the building take a few phots and land back on the building again and do this a few times during the performance.

This noise would be just great for a wedding too etc.  

How do you Turn it OFF!  

It is not needed for RTH
2017-10-17
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is designed to bleep as RTH is actually an emergency feature and should not form part of your day-to-day flying. If your screen goes blank due to loss of signal and failsafe RTH is activated the bleep is your only form of communication that the drone is actually returning and thus it IS needed for RTH. You can deactivate RTH once signal is regained and resume manual flight (as you should of anyway) and the bleep will stop.
2017-10-17
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Agree to some extent, however when you lose signal a lot and tries to RTH all the time it becomes very annoying. I see it's use though.
2017-10-17
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I agree. Totally annoying. Way too loud (I have stuffed a piece of foam on top of it).
Depending on the distance, I either switch the rc off at once, or interrupt RTH and fly back in sports mode.
Remembering that it does not return if it is very close to home.
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Manual tells you only use RTH in emergency situation.

It beeps to let those around landing that there is a drone coming in to land no longer under pilots control.
2017-10-17
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

I see it as a necessary feature as it indicates an emergency, normally you should fly your drone back by yourself and not rely on the RTH mechanism unless you loose the drone out of sight.
2017-10-17
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

So a blaring Alarm is necessary,  Really?  

When you in are group of people you do not want the drone to come back to you.  It is home on a flat roof at the other end of the field and lands back on that when done.  

Did you not read the problem statement?

I do not see the purpose of the Alarm other than making a lot of noise.  I RTH the the spark and I expect it to go back to the location it started.  

Same thing when I'm on the boat.  I have the Spark at the dock and RTH back to the dock house and not to the boat.  Alarm is not needed for this purpose.
2017-10-17
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

Still the ? anyway to turn it off?  

Way too loud and I never fly out of line of site.  I just need it to go back to a home place like the dock house or on top of the dug out or back to base camp after a sand hill climb etc. etc.  It s 25 to 50 yards away at this point from where I started

I can see the Spark from the outfield I just can not see the dugout as well so having the Spark go back to its start locations than bringing to me is  better option.

Seems the best option is to just remove the speaker or put a switch on it.
2017-10-17
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I understand it's annoying but trust me when your bird appears to be gone, lost connection, no video feet and it's out a couple of hundred feet over the woods - you'd be glad to hear that beep and know it's all good

In your scenario I'd simply land the drone manually, never hurts to practice your flying skills.
2017-10-17
Use props
sparkguygc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 230141 ft
Australia

Understand both statements about the need for it... (for emergency and to do exactly what you didn't want it to do is, alert people around you that a drone is flying nearby not under pilot control)
I don't think you can turn off the beep other than by physical means (cut the speaker in remote?)

I think we need 2 versions of RTH....
AUTO, whereby its an emergency to due low battery or signal loss activated by the Drone itself... this requires the alarm.
MANUAL, (activated by the operator) just returns to home maybe just with visual prompts on the screen telling you it's in RTH mode.... no alarm required as the pilot can intervene.
2017-10-17
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

Just flew the mavic the RTH on that was so less annoying, why can't the spark use that instead
2017-10-17
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

"In your scenario I'd simply land the drone manually, never hurts to practice your flying skills."  I'm in the middle of a ball field.  I do not want it to land where I'm at I want it to land on top of the building next to field aka the location I took off from.  Having the drone land with my in the field is a no go and would be unsafe.  Putting it back on the building outside of the field where no one is at is perfect.   Manuly lanidng it is rather hard from 25 - 35 yards out when your distance can be off and you can miss the target landing zone.

As for noise.  I do not think the spark it self makes noise when it is in RTH.  And that would make more sense.  It is the handheld remote making all the noise.  I know it is in RTH so why must it BEEP at me the entire time.
2017-10-17
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

As for manual landing all you have to do is point the gimbal down and use the video feet to aim for landing.

Per say this one time on the boat, I lost track of time and battery was too low to bring it back so I flew to the next possible landing site and dropped the spark with no issues some 400' away.
Again practicing your flying and control skills never hurts.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

For safety concern, you can not turn off the alarm. Please fly in caution and avoid situations which trigger RTH.
2017-10-17
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

Not flying with the phone just using controller only.  I keep the phone in the pocket for set up the fly via sticks as I'm old school like that.  

And again did you not read IT SAYS WHEN I TRIGGER RTH not it going out of range and into RTH.  I never let the drone get that far away.

The real question if it is unsafe to use RTH and you need this stupid alarm going off,  Why do you not have an Alarm for every other automated feature on the Spark.  The spark has an entire list of things it will do with out a pilot input that it will not alarm for,  So why must it alarm when the pilot activates RTH.  Never had an issue with my Phantoms.  It is like a new car that makes a noise or alarm for every single thing.  Just Stupid.  I do not need a noise for every button I push.

Maybe for safety purpose you should have the spark alarm for all the selfie modes that the spark does without pilot input.
2017-10-17
Use props
SpeedCore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40604 ft
Austria

Why don't you just fly it back instead of using RTH? It's a good practice to get a feel for the drone, too
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-17 21:47
Not flying with the phone just using controller only.  I keep the phone in the pocket for set up the fly via sticks as I'm old school like that.  

And again did you not read IT SAYS WHEN I TRIGGER RTH not it going out of range and into RTH.  I never let the drone get that far away.

You can fly back switch to gesture and simply hand catch. In other automatic modes you must keep people a minimum of 30 metres from the drone, you are 100% in control of the beeping,
It is a safety measure you know it’s there you need to work with it not against it. It has been introduced into all new dji RCs including the professional Cendence.
Your arguments while easy to make just make no sense the more safety options we have on drones the more likelihood we will get to fly them more freely.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-17 21:47

How do you manage to switch off beeping for your seat belt , by putting it on, should lorries not have beeping on when reversing, should Ambulances turn off sirens etc etc.
2017-10-18
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bottom line - NO! You can’t turn off the alarm. So adjust how you fly or get use to it!
2017-10-18
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

larrymull Posted at 2017-10-17 17:36
Just flew the mavic the RTH on that was so less annoying, why can't the spark use that instead

The RTH bleep on the Mavic is actually louder and it also bleeps when you hit low battery, unlike the Spark, which doesn't.
2017-10-18
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

I thought the vibrator in the mavic rc could be used without the beeper.
Thanks for the warning. It just saved me for a lot of money.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

heliman Posted at 2017-10-18 05:17
I thought the vibrator in the mavic rc could be used without the beeper.
Thanks for the warning. It just saved me for a lot of money.

Vibrator in the Mavic ?
2017-10-18
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

yes its an annoying safety feature that well learn to accept.
2017-10-18
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

How can pilot distractions be safety features?
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

So why do you not get a beep when it is in Active Track?  or have it beep when using hand gestures?  Pretty much it should sound like a Dump track and constantly eeep when in the air or on the ground etc. etc.

Can you explain how RTH Beep is a safety feature?  When the spark also doing active track and does not beep or hand gestures and does not beep or any of the automated selfie modes and does not beep for any of them.

And have the controller Beep and calling it safety when the spark is landing 25 yards away is silly.  Hint, the the Spark is landing on the concrete ground 25 yards away and not out in the grass ball field with me.   

As for pilot skills I normally land everything myself but you have a few times that I want to keep it away from me and people and would rather have it lan outside the fence or at the dock or on top of the RV etc.

I will just add a button to my controller and disable that beeping.

This is just as bad as the car.  You can not sit in the car and listen to the radio at sonic eating your lunch without it beeping.  You put the key in and go to ACC and the car will constantly beep do to the fact the key is in the ignition but the car is no running.  Too many useless alarms.
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

"You can fly back switch to gesture and simply hand catch. In other automatic modes you must keep people a minimum of 30 metres from the drone, you are 100% in control of the beeping, "

Did you not read the problem statement?  No you did not.

I'm in a Ball field with kids and do not want the spark to come back to me or over the kids.  Hand catching it would bring it into close proximity to the kids and over them.  

You said keep it 30 meters away from people,  Hint 25 yards outside the fence line is totally away from everyone participating on the field.  That is why I station it outside the fence line on the the building.  I can take it off get some photos and then RTH back waiting for next call to duty.  I never had a problem with my Phantoms doing this.  RTH worked like it should with the Phantoms.  

I planned ahead to keep the drone away from the kids and people and have it land on a solid surface that no one can get to.    I picked up the spark for the more compact size for the quick drone shots.  Looks like I will return back to using the Phantoms.  

Reason why this is coming up now is I normally if never use RTH so never had any idea it Beeps like crazy.  But now the sports are kicking in I find out the RTH is a joke.  If anything the Drone should beep in RTH not the controler.  As the drone is where the danger is not the controller.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-18 06:40
So why do you not get a beep when it is in Active Track?  or have it beep when using hand gestures?  Pretty much it should sound like a Dump track and constantly eeep when in the air or on the ground etc. etc.

Can you explain how RTH Beep is a safety feature?  When the spark also doing active track and does not beep or hand gestures and does not beep or any of the automated selfie modes and does not beep for any of them.

Your argument is silly you want your spark to rth a distance from where you are with RC, if it’s 25 yards away just hit RTH and walk towards your landing area or as a responsible pilot how could you possibly stop a child running up to your drone which is 20/30 yards away. You are the pilot you should be in the area where your drone is landing to make sure it’s safe.
What your saying is totally ridiculous it’s ignorance of the highest degree you should never land a drone where you can’t see it or where it’s landing period.
You first job when flying a drone is to be in charge it and from what you say you certainly are not.
2017-10-18
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

The spark won’t make the pilot in charge, you know.
It assumes the pilot is dumb and needs assistance.
Despite it’s micro brain does not know as much about the current environment as the pilot does.

Some want beeping others not. That’s how it is.
There is plenty of room in the settings for more user choice.

I don’t think the beeper is about security. Maybe it has some political symbolic value.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

heliman Posted at 2017-10-18 08:11
The spark won’t make the pilot it charge, you know.
It assumes the pilot is dumb and needs assistance.
Despite it’s micro brain does not know as much about the current environment as the pilot does.

You are only thinking about the pilot and yes if there was no beeping Pilot would not be annoyed, but this is a safety feature for others who may be around landing area, when flying any AC we as pilots must be aware of people around us and not put them at risk in any way.

Remember this is not all about the pilot .

I will give you a scenario. When a lorry reverses it beeps loudly to let people know of the danger, the driver can hear this beeping and although it may annoy him he won’t try or ask to have it turned off because his first concern is for safety.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-18 06:40

In active track your AC is not landing and you should always be a minimum of 30 metres from people when you are flying , in gesture mode your AC is never more than 10 metres from you , again are you now asking for more beeping or just trying to be difficult.

Common sense is the most widely shared commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it.”
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

"Your argument is silly you want your spark to rth a distance from where you are with RC, if it’s 25 yards away just hit RTH and walk towards your landing area or as a responsible pilot how could you possibly stop a child running up to your drone which is 20/30 yards away. You are the pilot you should be in the area where your drone is landing to make sure it’s safe.
What your saying is totally ridiculous it’s ignorance of the highest degree you should never land a drone where you can’t see it or where it’s landing period.
You first job when flying a drone is to be in charge it and from what you say you certainly are not."

It is on the other side of a fence separate from the kids in the ball field on top of a concrete building.  You just can not run over to it.  I can see it from where I'm at but to get to it I need to jump over the fence unlock the security gate climb the stairs to get to the landing pad.   Safest place for it to land in the entire complex.  
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

lorry?  say truck like a normal human
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-18 08:58
lorry?  say truck like a normal human

Lorry, Oxford dictionary meaning: A large, heavy motor vehicle for transporting goods or troops; a truck..
If it’s in the Oxford dictionary it’s a word, I didn’t realize the Americans were the only normal people on the planet.
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

By the way the building is the old video production center for the school ballfield  the top is flat and is the location of the camera crews filming the games.  When not in use and small kids are using the field it is a 12'x20' landing pad the can be seen from anyplace in the field.   As per the owners letting us use the ballpark the rules were that the Drones can only be launched and landed from this one point.  It is behind a fence and a security gate at no time will a drone be allowed lower than 40 feet over the ball field.  I can fly the drone out to my location in the outfield but it must return back to the camera stand when done. It must never drop below 40' and when It is in the outfield it is above me so I can control the space below the drone.  The unsafe thing would be to fly it out over the field from the camera stand and have no control over the space below the drone 25 yards away.  I'm following the rules set up in the ballpark by site management.  

If the drone needs some sort of stupid lorry alarm for stupid people, Then put the beeper on the drone itself.  The drone is where the danger is not the remote control.  Now you have a bunch of people looking down at the remote and not  up at the drone.

All this BS for just asking how to turn of an Alarm that should not be.  I will put an on off switch to turn it off.

2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-18 09:18
By the way the building is the old video production center for the school ballfield  the top is flat and is the location of the camera crews filming the games.  When not in use and small kids are using the field it is a 12'x20' landing pad the can be seen from anyplace in the field.   As per the owners letting us use the ballpark the rules were that the Drones can only be launched and landed from this one point.  It is behind a fence and a security gate at no time will a drone be allowed lower than 40 feet over the ball field.  I can fly the drone out to my location in the outfield but it must return back to the camera stand when done. It must never drop below 40' and when It is in the outfield it is above me so I can control the space below the drone.  The unsafe thing would be to fly it out over the field from the camera stand and have no control over the space below the drone 25 yards away.  I'm following the rules set up in the ballpark by site management.  

If the drone needs some sort of stupid lorry alarm for stupid people, Then put the beeper on the drone itself.  The drone is where the danger is not the remote control.  Now you have a bunch of people looking down at the remote and not  up at the drone.

Stupid lorry alarm for stupid people, the only person who’s being stupid is is the person making a big deal out of this.

You are allowed fly 40 feet over people playing football, but the rules of the FAA will tell you that you must not fly less than 30 metres above a person and 100 metres above groups of people I.E. 12 or more people , I think it’s not the beeping you should be worried about, and those who have given permission are putting others at risk . Really beeping is the least of your worries.
2017-10-18
Use props
ACW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-18 09:18

Do you also have the consent of each and every parent of each child to be filming their children? If not, then the children are not in your control and this in itself is a major breach of privacy laws irrespective of being granted permission to take off and land at a certain point by the owner of the property - that only means trespassing isn't being committed - privacy laws and aviation laws are not governed by the owners of land... Sadly, this has now become an utterly futile conversation - your question is if there is anyway you can turn off the bleeping sound during RTH when using the Spark RC - the answer is NO.
2017-10-18
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

Problem solved.  
Unsoldered speaker in remote.
Granted I have been doing microminiature repair for years and working as a FAB technician at intel for the last 21 years it is an easy fix.

How to silence the RTH Beeping on RTH on a DJI spark it is rather simple if you have the skills to do it.  If you are not a solder Tech or have experience working on micro miniature components seeks out someone who can do it for you.
2017-10-23
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
United States

It is not soccer it is Baseball and I'm in the outfield.  The ball never gets past the infield bases.  The video is used for the end of year highlights.  Been doing this for a few years and the parents of the kids love it.  So the Drone is never of any kids.  either way problem solved speaker removed.   
2017-10-23
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Good for you
2017-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AzBaja aka "Eri Posted at 2017-10-23 08:33
It is not soccer it is Baseball and I'm in the outfield.  The ball never gets past the infield bases.  The video is used for the end of year highlights.  Been doing this for a few years and the parents of the kids love it.  So the Drone is never of any kids.  either way problem solved speaker removed.

Your total disregard for any safety measures would lead me to questioning your ability to safely insure the safety of others , once a drone pilot starts cutting corners shows total disregard for the safety of others and his equipment comes on here bragging about how to disconnect safety measures , that just about says it all.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
2017-10-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules