Drone hits commercial flight....get ready for regs....
1129 13 2017-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SadMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91132 ft
United States

1st Drone strike to commercial flight
2017-10-17
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did they find the drone?
2017-10-17
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Nope.  This was headline news across Canada...they reported this like it was Armageddon.  It could even have been a bird strike as no report I saw indicated anyone saw a drone (the pilots assumed it was a drone strike); I'm looking for the actual incident report.  I suppose some stuck feathers would rule this  out...

Regardless of regulations or not, it should never have happened.  If it were a drone, it most certainly would have been nearly 'intentional' on behalf of the operator (likely trying to get that perfect viral video...).  Just like the recent hit to the Blackhawk heli in NYC- most certainly the operator was intentionally trying to get up close and personal with the heli (tempting as it would be).
2017-10-17
Use props
SadMavic
lvl.2
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-10-17 21:57
Nope.  This was headline news across Canada...they reported this like it was Armageddon.  It could even have been a bird strike as no report I saw indicated anyone saw a drone (the pilots assumed it was a drone strike); I'm looking for the actual incident report.  I suppose some stuck feathers would rule this  out...

Regardless of regulations or not, it should never have happened.  If it were a drone, it most certainly would have been nearly 'intentional' on behalf of the operator (likely trying to get that perfect viral video...).  Just like the recent hit to the Blackhawk heli in NYC- most certainly the operator was intentionally trying to get up close and personal with the heli (tempting as it would be).

Yeah....the FAA is now pushing for emergency regs because of it.  Stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.
2017-10-17
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

SadMavic Posted at 2017-10-17 22:58
Yeah....the FAA is now pushing for emergency regs because of it.  Stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

The NFZ rules are already more than reasonable enough. If some idiot insists on breaking the rules, no additional rules would cure that, but would make it worse for the 99.99% of the normal done pilots.

I'd suggest people in the US/Canada contact their local political rep and explain this in friendly terms.
2017-10-17
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

The Heathrow airport drone strike reported in 2016 turned out not to be a drone.
2017-10-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

1. There is no proof it was a drone.
2. More regulations will not stop stupid people.
2017-10-18
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2017-10-18 02:52
1. There is no proof it was a drone.
2. More regulations will not stop stupid people.

3 That does not normally stop the regulators
2017-10-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem is many quad manufacturers don’t have NFZ , not every quad in the sky is a DJI....
2017-10-18
Use props
BASE509
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2503 ft
United States

This is the catalyst they’ve been waiting for. We’re all going to be flying in our living rooms from now on. Jeesh.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

As much as its a bad situation and thank goodness no one was hurt we also learned that an average drone hitting a small aircraft did not bring it down and there was only minor damage the same is said for the recent Drone vs Blackhawk helicopter incident.So lets hope it never happens but if an average drone struk say an airliner im a bit more confident next time i fly to Sydney that if my plane got hit by a stray drone im still going to make it to my destination.Its actually quite common for planes to be hit by bird strikes which rarely results in anything major...most airlines manufactures test for this.
2017-10-18
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-10-17 21:57

I see why Canada reported it like its Armageddon - they have a very strict drone/quad policy. That's like bringing your assault rifle to school for show'n'tell.

I hope the poor drone is ok. Maybe the plane hit the drone.
2017-10-18
Use props
SadMavic
lvl.2
United States

BASE509 Posted at 2017-10-18 03:49
This is the catalyst they’ve been waiting for. We’re all going to be flying in our living rooms from now on. Jeesh.

Unfortunately I agree...I wonder how long it will be before the restrictions come via mandatory firmware.  
2017-10-19
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Conspiracy Theory!
Someone is getting what he really wants!
2017-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules