For recent PV2+ purchasers
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul
lvl.2

United States

I ordered my PV2+ on March 19, and received it March 24th.

Now the Phantom 3 Advanced can be ordered, at a much lower price, and assuming there are no bugs, I know of zero disadvantages versus what I have, and a bunch of advantages.  In other words, it's inarguably better for any purchaser.

At this very moment, DJI itself shows a price for the P2V+ of $1169, although it is listed out of stock some retailers are still selling it at that price.

DJI... This isn't how it's done.  An iPhone 5 is launched with a certain price, but before the iPhone 6 comes out, the iPhone 5 price is gradually lowered, such that when the iPhone 6 comes out, you can buy either, but you only pay MORE if you GET more.  There should never be a time, like now, that you can pay MORE and get LESS, if you were to buy the P2V+ today.

Somebody will probably post that "that's just how it goes with technology"... No, it isn't.  See the paragraph just above.  

Truly, I feel a bit gypped.

2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

You have a valid point if they want to be like Apple. You example in the cell phone and computer area is indeed valid.  DJI can make a choice to follow this trend or not.
2015-4-8
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

jliddil Posted at 2015-4-9 03:53
You have a valid point if they want to be like Apple. You example in the cell phone and computer are ...

Imagine a customer who buys a P2V+ today, or perhaps late April as some retailers still have inventory.  Then while it's being shipped, they realize they could have paid less and gotten more.  They call up either the retailer or DJI and say: "I should have bought the Phantom 3".

Their only honest response, in essence, must be: "Yes, you made an unwise purchase.  When we sold it to you, we knew you weren't getting the best for your money, but we didn't see fit to tell you."

If I paid less that would be fine.  If my purchase had any advantage at all, I could accept that too.  
(It would be a stretch but MAYBE you could say the wider field of view has advantages, but that wouldn't wash with me.)

The P2V+ is still for sale TODAY from retailers at a price of $1169.  That's a flat out BAD deal.  Those retailers should have their inventory bought back by DJI, or a rebate program should be offered to those retailers who still have inventory, so they can sell it for less without losing money.
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

1. "that's just how it goes with technology".  
2. I do not understand you purchase the DJI and were happy with it.  The P2 is still a good product and it will deliver the results you were promised.  Now that the P3 is out is the P2 not delivering as promised?
3. If you have product envy that is a different topic but it begs the question, how far back/ahead would DJI have to begin lowering price so you will FEEL better?
4. What do they do for the person that bought the product the day before your target date for price reductions?

2015-4-8
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I bought my V+ in July with the free extra battery offer, I did my research and it was the best deal for me at the time.
Since then we have had some price reductions, the V3 version, and more price reductions, am I upset ?
Not in the slightest, what I bought at the time still does the job it is supposed to do.
How anyone can moan about the fast pace of technology is beyond me.
1st World problems eh....
2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-9 04:07
1. "that's just how it goes with technology".  
2. I do not understand you purchase the DJI and we ...

Valid points. In general in the computer/tech area prices start coming down on products before the new models come out. DJI is not doing this. Indeed "so it goes".
2015-4-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

How many of these same threads do we have to be subjected to?

DJI lowered the price on the P2+ from as high as $1369  with one battery at it's peak to about $1100 with two batteries at it's low (I could show the examples, but take my word for it).

Most of the price lowering was in the last couple of months....

Were folks not aware that DJI had a sale for the entire month of Feb. and March? Or that it's still going on?

I bought a new P2 about 45 days ago - but only flew it for 6 battery cycles. Should I feel bad and instead have waited til perhaps May or June (given shipping schedules) to get a possibly buggier unit that does little more in terms of image quality?
So each and every customer must get a "deal" which not only is good at the time, but looks good in the rear view mirror for a couple months?

If I paid $200 too much for a bird yet completed a $1,000 video shoot with it in the meanwhile....should I then send DJI the difference? If I got ONE great great picture or video of something in the meantime (remember, it could be MONTHS until you get a P3), is that worth the $$.

To many it is. And that's why I present this video to those who feel annoyed.

2015-4-8
Use props
jliddil
lvl.2

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-9 04:38
How many of these same threads do we have to be subjected to?

DJI lowered the price on the P2+ from ...

very valid, thanks
2015-4-8
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

My whole point is the CROSSOVER in the timeline.  You can buy a PV2+ TODAY for $1169, and you'd be a fool to do so, but DJI (or the retailer) will take the money anyway.

This shouldn't be so.
2015-4-8
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

But you cant buy a Phantom 3 off the shelf now, you can only pre-order one and hope that you get the first batch in May, or maybe sometime later with the almost inevitable delays.
So for now the Vision + is still the best choice if you want to fly now...
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-9 04:50
But you cant buy a Phantom 3 off the shelf now, you can only pre-order one and hope that you get the ...

AND....everyone who has been in the tech game a long time will tell you; NEVER BUY THE !ST VERSION!  Those that buy today will be blubbering soon about the bugs and the problems.  V2 will come out and the early adopter will be blubbering about why DJI fix the later models and not theirs.

Pick you poison...
2015-4-8
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

I purchased my V2+ (ver 3) at a price I was willing to pay in Dec 2014.  Anything that happens after that is mutually exclusive of the deal I took back in December.  I won't worry about it.

If I were buying now, I would have to weight the potential wait (no pun intended) against the price and feature difference, make a decision and then live with it.
This is a hobby.
2015-4-8
Use props
paul
lvl.2

United States

I'd like to concede a few points and maybe even retreat a little.

1) What I paid was worth every penny.
2) I did indeed have the advantage of receiving my product sooner.  And yes, this has value to me.
3) They have a right do do things as they wish.  I would do things differently if I were DJI, and as a consumer I wish they did.  They have no obligation to do things the way Apple does.  (Or most tech companies to my knowledge.)
4) I expect technology to become obsolete eventually.  (Although I wouldn't call the PV2+ "obsolete", just overpriced right now.)

acenothing made a few good points, especially: "how far back/ahead would DJI have to begin lowering price so you will FEEL better?" That's a very fair question.  By definition, it's a judgement call so my answer is fuzzy -- "further back than this."  I'd go back a couple months but that's me.

acenothing also made another great point: "What do they do for the person that bought the product the day before your target date for price reductions?"  I concede that someone always "paid too much" the day before prices drop, and this is unavoidable.  I happen to own a business that provides long-term services, and when I have an existing client and I lower prices for new clients, I offer a refund of the price difference for those who purchased in the previous two months.  That's me, and DJI has no obligation to do things that way, but I do enjoy great customer loyalty and great reviews.

Basically, my complaint isn't an accusation that they've done things "WRONG".  They've done it their way, and I'd have handled it differently.

Right now, it would be "ethical" in my opinion to make an attempt to inform customers thoroughly of the circumstances.  Anyone who purchases a PV2+ at its current price should know: They are paying $170 extra for faster delivery, and they will receive a lesser product (although still a great one) than they would if they pre-ordered a P3.

BUT... If a time comes when both products are simultaneously available with same-day shipping, at current prices, I will stand firmly that this is inherently "wrong".
2015-4-8
Use props
go4two
lvl.2

United States

Good points Paul!  I am one of the guys who just bought and although I am not completely happy about this, I guess I am just going to live with my bad timing.  For some people to say, "well, you should have known" is just stupid.  Not everyone has been in this hobby as long as the "should have known" folks.  I have been flying a Syma X1 around for over a year, and one day in early March, I just popped onto the DJI website and bought.  I originally looked at the Phantom 1, but felt I wasn't ready for it and wanted to learn on a cheap quad.  

Oh well...I'm hoping DJI will make things right, but if not....I will carry on.  
2015-4-8
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
United States

paul@westpointd Posted at 2015-4-9 05:47
I'd like to concede a few points and maybe even retreat a little.

1) What I paid was worth every pe ...

Well said.  Thanks
2015-4-8
Use props
aladrian
lvl.1
Netherlands

Another point is the vendor.   The Vendor that I deal with would absolutely (I think) tell me about the P3 if I went in to buy a Phantom tomorrow..

Consider it a test of who you are dealing with one way or the other.  If they are glad to "rip you off".. (not inform you of upcoming products).. then that's a good thing to know...

Al..
2015-4-8
Use props
sergiomspf
New

Portugal

paul@westpointd Posted at 2015-4-9 04:02
Imagine a customer who buys a P2V+ today, or perhaps late April as some retailers still have inven ...

I purchase my on DJI web site and my problema was the same , and the phantom came with problems (Crashes) that they doesn't solve yet............
2015-4-23
Use props
rawveeda
New

United States

Paul, I am in the same boat.  My Phantom was delivered to me on March 30.  The look on my face when I got an email a week later about with the Phantom 3 announcement from DJI looked something like .  Some people told me to return it (I chose to keep it)  I did not want to deal with restocking fees.  The $1169 price came with the extra battery.  I was on the fence about returning it and sucking up the loss.  I said F*ck it and started flying this thing.  I figure I can fly now.  I know May is coming fast.... I can fly now.  Sure the new copter has more bells & whistles  but I don't plan on flying indoors, nor am I a range junkie (yet).  I can tinker with ground station automation if I choose. The ultrasonic sensors & positioning camera would make it easier as long as you close enough to the ground.   I am sure an experienced pilot with an old quad copter will still be able to fly circles around me.  I know in the future I will look for product announcements around trade show times. As for now, my P2+v3 will allow me a ton of room to grow.  It would be nice if DJI would throw us a biscuit. (transmitter lanyard or sticker or something) Oh well.  I am happy & I can fly now.
2015-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules