Problems with new 8331 props.
123Next >
7209 98 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

I jusr recieved a shipment of the new 8331 props for my Mavic and noticed one bump in the same place on some of the blades but not all. Has anyone else seen this with these? And should I worry about performance?
pROPS.jpg
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Where did you buy them?  I'd be a little ticked and probably consider sending the bad ones back.  I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I would assume those malformed edges would at the very least increase noise, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.  I'd also be wondering what else is going on with those props.  The visible stuff might be the least of your worries.
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-18 08:22
Where did you buy them?  I'd be a little ticked and probably consider sending the bad ones back.  I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I would assume those malformed edges would at the very least increase noise, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.  I'd also be wondering what else is going on with those props.  The visible stuff might be the least of your worries.

These are OEM from DJI. Which sucks because I have been waiting on them forever!! I wanted to bring attention to this because I know most people will not inspect new props, they just throw them on and fly.
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

I may test flight and post video results.
2017-10-18
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

Tweak it back to normal. They are very thin at the tips and the trailing edge. I lightly bent one of mine putting the Mavic back in the bag and I just lightly bent it back. It didn't seem to change the structural integrity of the blade at all.
2017-10-18
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-10-18 08:38
I may test flight and post video results.

Sure, but without an unblemished set of 4, you won't really have anything to compare it against?  Unless you bought several complete sets.  That would be an interesting test... 4 clean ones vs 4 malformed ones.

The blemished ones could have been mishandled in storage, or it could be manufacturing defect.  I'm not sure which is worse.  Just keep in mind, if just one prop comes apart in flight that's going to mean a crashed Mavic.  Could be turn out to be a $1500 set of props you bought there.
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

Hotelone4 Posted at 2017-10-18 08:45
Tweak it back to normal. They are very thin at the tips and the trailing edge. I lightly bent one of mine putting the Mavic back in the bag and I just lightly bent it back. It didn't seem to change the structural integrity of the blade at all.

That's what I'm seeing as well. These things are really super thin compared to the original props. It may be best to remove before travel.
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

When I do run my fingers down both sides of the blade there is a lot of bumps it seems as well.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am a little surprised to see the model number engraved on the "Leading" edge of the wing (ie prop)   Hmmm.
2017-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warning!
2017-10-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-10-18 09:28
When I do run my fingers down both sides of the blade there is a lot of bumps it seems as well.

Great, I'm waiting on a bunch of these (A MONTH NOW!!!).  Good to know they'll be poop.
2017-10-18
Use props
CarreraTony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30341 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I flew mine on Sunday and the blades have the same defect on the Black anti clockwise mounting blades as yours, no problems with flight or noise.
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

CarreraTony Posted at 2017-10-18 12:29
Hi I flew mine on Sunday and the blades have the same defect on the Black anti clockwise mounting blades as yours, no problems with flight or noise.

Is anyone flying them on firmware .400?
2017-10-18
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-10-18 11:22
Great, I'm waiting on a bunch of these (A MONTH NOW!!!).  Good to know they'll be poop.

At least they be good at decreasing flight time.
2017-10-18
Use props
Six6Sics #666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

I've heard that its become quite popular to use sandpaper on the prop blades..... thought ??
2017-10-18
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I ordered two sets that arrived just today. So when I saw your post I just pulled mine out of the boxes to check and one prop in each box has the same exact defect.... wtf DJI.
2017-10-18
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Six6Sics #666 Posted at 2017-10-18 13:15
I've heard that its become quite popular to use sandpaper on the prop blades..... thought ??

I kinda ran my fingernail down the leading and trailing edges and knocked off a "burr" or two. It looked sort of like the seam you get with injection molding, just a little rough down the edge. i wouldn't suggest sanding, very thin, not much to sand...
2017-10-18
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

Recieved 4 sets today when they told me would ship on 26 Oct so Hi 5 for that DJI.
2 blades out of the 8 same defect on the Black anti clockwise mounting blade. I can leave it off but I'm betting it would be no problem. Used my thumbnail to straighten it out.
2017-10-18
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Maxxpsoft Posted at 2017-10-18 14:39
Recieved 4 sets today when they told me would ship on 26 Oct so Hi 5 for that DJI.
2 blades out of the 8 same defect on the Black anti clockwise mounting blade. I can leave it off but I'm betting it would be no problem. Used my thumbnail to straighten it out.

Good to know these are precision engineered!  I'm excited to see how stupid I'll feel for ordering these!  WOOHOO!!!
2017-10-18
Use props
Locoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

Got two pair today and they look ok. Didn't notice the bump you have in the picture. I though the tip had more or a bend to it. mine seem pretty flat. Maybe it is just an optical allusion due to the color change and being swept back. To windy today to try them out hopefully tomorrow will be better
2017-10-18
Use props
PsiFox
lvl.2
Flight distance : 771250 ft
United States

I have the same defect, thought it was something I did when folding the arms. I've been flying the new props for about 3 flight hours so far with no ill effects.
2017-10-18
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just received the same extra set of props today from DJI.   They have the exact same defect.    It was pretty noticable when I took them out of the box for a look.
2017-10-18
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Sounds like DJI may need to check QC are doing their jobs properly and fix it if need be.My 3 sets are due for delivery tomorrow so i will report back when i check em.
2017-10-18
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

I tried mine out and they flew fine. I suppose what I take issue with is that we're told to inspect our props and discard them if we observe even the slightest problem since it's not worth crashing our drone over a $10 prop. But these have what appears to be a defect right out of the box so are we suppose to switch course and ignore that now?
2017-10-18
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
United States

When folded mine bent and distort the pitch. We know this is bad and if left on in the DJI case the pitch on them will be way off. Maybe a waist of money since there's no way i'm using them unless I have a night time stealth mission and they come off after..
2017-10-18
Use props
Ghost30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126801 ft
United States

Getting my 2 sets tomorrow from Advexure. I will check to see if they have the same defect. I had also ordered 2 sets from directly through DJI, but its been almost a month now and they have not shipped it yet.
2017-10-18
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just received mine from DJI, 5 pairs and I have the same issue. Haven't flown yet with these, but did not expect the trailing edge to have a slight deformation. When the rain disappears I will give them a quick try in the garden and then check the trailing edges.
2017-10-19
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

Where are you DJI mods on this one?
2017-10-19
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

M4BMW Posted at 2017-10-19 06:11

Surprisingly quiet!

A response would be great DJI!
2017-10-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

The props serve ONE PURPOSE - efficiency.  And they appear to be junk.  How about the props that COME WITH the "new" Mavic Pro Platinum (hilarious name, BTW).
2017-10-19
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-10-19 06:11

They are outside flying their Mavics with the new props, of course.  They got to go through the warehouse picking out the straight ones before DJI shipped out the remaining trash to us.
2017-10-19
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
Second Officer
United States

I'm not so sure I like these new props. Aside from the bend (I think due to how thin the plastic is on that side of the prop) they also rub against the metal underside of the Mavic when you fold the arms in and it is scratching up the metal and also causes the arms to raise up a little from being folded. This concerns me since it is pulling the folded arms up by way of the motor.  
2017-10-19
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

A lot has been written about these props and a lot of people have been waiting patiently for them to arrive after ordering. Yes you may be able to bend them back in line however, is this what you should be doing? .... I don't think so. This is either an issue with moulds at production stage or and issue with packaging ... or both!

DJI should be on top of this quickly given they are late shipping the products in the first place. Send them back and get a new batch.

Shoddy in my view.
2017-10-19
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

Makes me wonder if this is all a scheme to get us pilots who are on an earlier firmware (.400 for me) to upgrade to the new firmware. Thanks but no thanks. I have also read that unless you do the most recent firmware which includes adding the new props, your motors may also be under additional strain.
2017-10-19
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

My 4 sets finally arrived from DJI Europe today - 2 sets have the same issue  :-(    Any comment by the DJI folk?

Edit: Scratch that,  All 4 sets are affected - in all sets the CW blades have this defect to some level - 2 are worse than the other 2.

Can the DJI folk comment on the issue and what to do.
2017-10-19
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

RocketChap Posted at 2017-10-19 08:18
My 4 sets finally arrived from DJI Europe today - 2 sets have the same issue  :-(    Any comment by the DJI folk?

Nah ... they often comment on nice things but not complaints.
2017-10-19
Use props
fans5aee5495
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just done a short test (rain stopped play) with my new 8331 props. Definitely quieter, a lower note sound, for £20 ok purchase. Trailing edge on the black ring marked props have some deformation as per this thread, this does n't appear to affect flying. Not complaining, but now need to remove two props before putting in Mavic bag, the increased pitch of the blades catches on the bottom of the Mavic, and the blades will get damaged if left on in the bag. Something to watch out for. Looking forward to trying further if the weather improves.
The trailing edge is so thin, when the rotors are spinning I think the edge will smooth out under pressure. Early days, lets see how this develops, DJI could just point out its not a problem, to kill this chatter, or recall if it's a major defect.
2017-10-19
Use props
Krevvy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77493 ft
United Kingdom

I bought a set.. one of the props in one of the boxes was bent at the end (upward 90 degrees)

Just bad QC at DJI.
2017-10-19
Use props
Hotelone4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47320 ft
United States

fans5aee5495 Posted at 2017-10-19 09:01
Just done a short test (rain stopped play) with my new 8331 props. Definitely quieter, a lower note sound, for £20 ok purchase. Trailing edge on the black ring marked props have some deformation as per this thread, this does n't appear to affect flying. Not complaining, but now need to remove two props before putting in Mavic bag, the increased pitch of the blades catches on the bottom of the Mavic, and the blades will get damaged if left on in the bag. Something to watch out for. Looking forward to trying further if the weather improves.
The trailing edge is so thin, when the rotors are spinning I think the edge will smooth out under pressure. Early days, lets see how this develops, DJI could just point out its not a problem, to kill this chatter, or recall if it's a major defect.

I can slide the MP into the bag and back out without bending them if I'm reeeeally careful. Gimbal facing in and legs facing out.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, the problem is located as package design and will be fixed later. Sorry for the trouble caused for you. You may try with your hands to recover the deformation and it does not drive noticeable effect on flight performance.
2017-10-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules