4215 11 2017-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fontinalis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 975367 ft
United States

Hi DJI,

The last two weeks I have experienced false obstacle detections from the P4P. Flying at different locations, different times of day the P4P detects obstacles constantly. The AC exterior is clean. Most of the obstacle detections show an obstacle in front of the AC at 3 - 12 feet, regardless of altitude from 3 - 120M. All occurred during ideal flying conditions--low humidity, low wind, visiblity 10+miles, 12+satellites, no RF interference, everything good.

Today I was with a client at a difficult to reach location and he got the opportunity to watch me troubleshoot before I ruled out the other firmware glitches. The fix was to disable obstacle avoidance.

Glitches I regularly experience are gimbal tilt, false "RTH route through a no fly zone", beginner mode randomly kicking in, presumably for not logging in to DJI which i can't often do on-site, High Wind warning when little or no wind. I've learned to deal with all these, but false obstacles is a new one.

Is there some type of sensor cleaning I should be doing besides making sure the AC shell and external sensor surfaces are clean? Anything i can do with software?

Thanks,

Don

UPDATE 20-Oct-17

I followed the advice of Labroides and DJI Susan and did a calibration of the VPS last night. Just did a test flight, extremely bright day, flew at the sun. No false obstacles, problem solved. Thanks!
2017-10-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You may need to recalibrate the sensors
2017-10-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please refer this tutorial video and try to calibrate the VPS.

2017-10-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Are you flying towards the sun? The aircraft can see the sun as an obstacle sometimes.
2017-10-18
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, Geebax.

Could be the cause as it has been very sunny here lately. I've flown under similar sunlight for months and this hasn't happened before. it starts beeping before I clear the tree tops so I not sure about this. Next time out I'll pay attention to heading relative to sun to see if it makes a difference. Obstacle avoidance detecting the sun at 3 feet away sounds like an error to me. Has DJI acknowledged this as something they can or will fix?
2017-10-19
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-18 18:19
Please refer this tutorial video and try to calibrate the VPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ... F71lWL0ZCztUE9JaFK8

Thanks Susan, will do and will report back here.
2017-10-19
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-18 18:08
You may need to recalibrate the sensors

Thanks, Labroides. I see that DJI Susan recommends same. Going to comply and report back.
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Fontinalis Posted at 2017-10-19 10:54
Thanks Susan, will do and will report back here.

Noted with thanks! Just to verify, have the issue been figured out? Please feel free to contact us if you need further help at any time, we're here for help!
2017-10-21
Use props
Fontinalis
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-21 22:40
Noted with thanks! Just to verify, have the issue been figured out? Please feel free to contact us if you need further help at any time, we're here for help!

It appears to be solved. I did a test flight as described in update to the title post. Thanks for checking, Susan.
2017-10-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Fontinalis Posted at 2017-10-22 05:44
It appears to be solved. I did a test flight as described in update to the title post. Thanks for checking, Susan.

Glad to hear that, hope you can enjoy the drone, happy flying!
2017-10-22
Use props
Starliner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3604101 ft

146,182.  LOL.
2018-6-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Starliner Posted at 2018-6-8 08:10
Crazy how you're being a complete bitch on my post about the same thing.  I guess bitches just bitch.

Please be polite in the Forum, thanks. Is there anything we can help you? Did you encounter any problem with the drone?
2018-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules