Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yunior
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

I been trying to decide on which one of these two I should buy.

I'm not into too much of 3rd party apps or anything like that. Basically I just like to take off and enjoy flying and recording videos.

I always like the ability to have less prep time, and this is why I'm really leaning more towards the P4P+.

But, i've read that the P4P+ has a lot of bugs and issues with the controller such as app crashing and lag.

So this worries me as what would happen if the app crashes while you are in flight. I've heard that in order to restart the app, you have to turn off the whole controller and back on. But this would be an issue if i'm already in the air.

So based on present times, are there still issues with the P4P+

Is it safe to say I can buy the P4P+ without any worries???

Or should I really just get the standard P4P??

Please help me decide.

Thank you
2017-10-19
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Well. I don't know, where you heard that the P4plus has more RC problems than ordinary P4.
I have got P4plus this month and until now I haven't had any problems with it.
If you look for fast and easy start procedure, this is definitely the one you look for. Beside that, and I think even more important feature, is the brighter display visible even in bright sunny environment.
About these problems with software crashes I've got an impression that most of them appeared after firmware update.
So now I have only a problem, should I update it or not. It keep saying 'software inconsistency' but it work well.
I had P3A before this one (around 2 years) and I hadn't update it at all although it required update. It flew perfectly fine.   
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

andy10 Posted at 2017-10-19 06:02
Well. I don't know, where you heard that the P4plus has more RC problems than ordinary P4.
I have got P4plus this month and until now I haven't had any problems with it.
If you look for fast and easy start procedure, this is definitely the one you look for. Beside that, and I think even more important feature, is the brighter display visible even in bright sunny environment.

"should I update it or not. It keep saying 'software inconsistency'"
I am sure this is just your battery in need of a touch, try without any connection to the net to accept the update.
2017-10-19
Use props
fans1e41b8af
lvl.1
United States

Yunior, I had the same question when I purchased my P4P. I decided on the Pro, not the + because I already had an Ipad Mini 4. So far, I've had no problem at all with seeing the screen on the mini and the set up is nothing. You place your ipad in the holder, connect the cable and your flying. The positive side of the pro is you can use your own device which a lot of the time has a bigger display than the +. As far as issues with the firmware, I've had none. It functions flawlessly.
Good luck on making your choice.
2017-10-19
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

I have a P4P+ and have not had any problems.  I know the RTH on signal loss works. I do the updates as they come out.
This bird is  very stable in flight and the video and pics come out great.
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Had i known in June what i know now, i would have taken the regular even i would have had to buy a smartphone/Applet.

Within long time you would like to be able to do something you can't on the +, and then you're lost with not bwing able to add any apps and not to connect another device.

Regarding the app crashes, i have not had many, when it has happen, often it has restartet itself in few secs. and a few times i have been able to close it from the top left corner and start it again myself.
I never had to turn of the +RC and should that day come hopefully the GPS will work if not it is up again in time to fly it home manually.

All in all, your money, your choice. ;-)

Edit: it is the AC i have a lot of trouble with after latest FW, it wouldn't matter if it was the + or not.
2017-10-19
Use props
fansf7f6fbc8
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yunior I’m in the same position as you, undecided whether to get the Pro+ or just the Pro. If I go for the Pro I would be using it with an iPhone 7, any feedback from others whether the controller works well with iPhones?
2017-10-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

A minor correction to my other reply. Had i known in June what i do now i would not have had a DJI at all ...

Another thing to be aware is that the GO4 App is not just the GO4 App, the version on the + has less features than the one for other devices.
I think the one for IOS has the best features, but not sure, i just see again and again features mentioned that does not exist on the + ...
2017-10-19
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

with our new p4p +, we have not yet had a noticeable problem, however in August we lost a machine during a rescue exercise, it is very random apparently a very small minority, but when it is your you have your eyes to cry
2017-10-19
Use props
DanbyUrgess
lvl.4
United States

Went with the Pro+, as my first. If everything was made to work together out of the box, it should be more stable. Not to jinx myself, but I have yet to experience ANY problems... Good luck !
2017-10-19
Use props
Flymo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What devices will the P4P Pro controller work with, just iPhones and iPad Mini’s or can an iPad Air 2 fit too?
2017-10-19
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew with a friend this past weekend, he had a P4P+. The tablet crash at least half a dozen times over the course of the afternoon, my iPad Mini 4 worked flawlessly.
2017-10-19
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

If you have the bucks... Get the P4P and then get the CS 7" it is the best combination!
2017-10-19
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

P4P and keep the freedom to use whatever mobile device you want when you want and the flexibility to have as much memory as you need too
2017-10-19
Use props
Flymo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Still undecided but I think I’m tending to consider the P4P the better option for me and I’ll either use my iPhone or iPad with the controller.
My iPad is WiFi only so I don’t have GPS, apparently this is not a huge issue as it only affects the ‘follow me’ function and the ability reset the home point.

Is the ‘follow me’ and resetting of the home point functions used often are can you easily do without them?

Thanks
Flymo
2017-10-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

JamesWhenman Posted at 2017-10-19 07:03
I have a P4P+ and have not had any problems.  I know the RTH on signal loss works. I do the updates as they come out.
This bird is  very stable in flight and the video and pics come out great.

" I do the updates as they come out."

Agreed; do the same and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. IMO - Rather have the copter run with the updated software than running on an older version.
2017-10-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It depends on your budget. I would recommend you to buy from local authorized dealer so that you can check the performance on spot.
2017-10-22
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

ysmith Posted at 2017-10-23 00:30
Hello, could you say exactly what less features the plus version has?
I have decided to go with the p4p+ obsidian, when it comes in stock someday (feels like I've been waiting for ever  ), but I didn't know it had less features
Cheers

Well one important feature missing on the + even no one wish to use it would be the "Find my Drone" ;-)
Also looking at the screenshots from different posts, i can see that some has the video recordings with duration on the flight record pages, the 0 only show number of pictures taken, having the videos on the list would help locating a specific recording.
From different screenshots also it look like the compas/rardar thing down left has some more things included.

Add to this that the + has all sorts of social media things included you can't get rid of, even i think not many pro's would have any use of those if they work at all, but something as useful as a screen recorder on the +, forget it unless you're willing to tamper with the device.

Also the + app seem to be updated less often than the app for phones/Pads, possibly not always a bad thing but ... :-)

Sure there is other things i have stumbled over, but those are some of the ones that just get to my mind guess some with both controllers can add some differences.
2017-10-24
Use props
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

I’ve had a pro+ for about 9 months and there are definitely pros and cons.  Screen is very bright and start up has one less thing to hook up and charge up.  The 2 biggest drawbacks are related to the software.  Unlike the pro the GO app on the plus can only  be updated as part of a system update and these tend to be buggy and lag behind the IOS and Android releases by several versions and several months.
Secondly, the GO app tends to crash, especially if you are using one of the intelligent flight modes.  This a problem because the only way to reboot the GO app is to turn RC off and on and cross your fingers that RC will reconnect.  Also, if App crashes in intelligent flight mode aircraft continues to fly that mode with reprogrammed joystick sticks.   This happened so frequently I had to develop a flight procedure to follow and based on comments I came up with the following:
1) Hit pause button and observe aircraft to see if it did pause and go into hover.
2) Switch to ATTI mode and back to “P” mode to get it out of intelligent flight mode.
3) If aircraft is close by manually fly it home.
4) If aircraft farther away and if I’m sure that smart RTH has been set up properly and area is clear, then press button to start RTH.
5) If aircraft starts to ascend to RTH altitude, then take hands off controls unless needed for landing.
6) If nothing happens when RTH button is pushed then turn RC off & on and when RC link light is green start  GO app.  When GO app shows aircraft status and location, try RTH again and if it fails then fly home manually.

Bottom line if you are likely to use mostly the basic flight mode then I would recommend the plus because of the bright screen and quick setup.

2017-10-26
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-10-19 15:31
If you have the bucks... Get the P4P and then get the CS 7" it is the best combination!

I use the 5.5" CS with P4P (mostly for settings control) for inspections, damage assessments, work related stuff, use the HDMI output on the CS to output real time video to a 13" 12VDC 1080p portable TV powered by a small 20,000mah power bank, set up a small folding table & chair and fly. Great set up for third party viewing as well. Virtually no screen glare from the CS, and the TV is LCD matte screen so no glare from it also.
2017-10-26
Use props
fansdf099539
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40863 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-26 15:36
I use the 5.5" CS with P4P (mostly for settings control) for inspections, damage assessments, work related stuff, use the HDMI output on the CS to output real time video to a 13" 12VDC 1080p portable TV powered by a small 20,000mah power bank, set up a small folding table & chair and fly. Great set up for third party viewing as well. Virtually no screen glare from the CS, and the TV is LCD matte screen so no glare from it also.

Everyone will tell you their good/bad luck story.

I had the P4. Used it with a Tab S3, no issues. Upgraded to the P4Pro+
I do all the software upgrades as they occur.
No issues, No crashes, no major problems.

And, the screen is better.

The decision is not that life altering. In two years, there will be a better/newer system.

Every combination has been reported to have some issues. It is a very complex and sophisticated system.

Expect that some things may be amiss, but most can be fixed.

2017-10-26
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-10-26 15:36

That works too
2017-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules