Does a range extender/windsurfer extend your video or radio?
1376 9 2017-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flying-camera
lvl.2
Canada

Does a range extender/windsurfer extend your video link range, radio link range, or both?  Thanks
2017-10-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Both, but the results vary greatly.  Might get additional range, might not.
2017-10-19
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

When using range extenders you need to make sure you point the rc directly at your drone at all times. It becomes very directional. It will extend range of both rc and image transmission but only when you point your rc in the direction of your ac. Some have reported over 3000 feet extra range. But im not sure how they have done there comparison tests.
2017-10-19
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

If you were to remove the plastic shell from the stock antenna, what you would see would be a piece of   coax cable that had the insulator and shield removed very close to the end,  leaving a tiny bit of the center   conductor exposed.  That is what radiates the signal from the r/c.  Parabolic type range boosters work by   taking this omnidirectional signal and reflecting it in more or less one direction.  The copper used in the   reflectors  is mostly a gimmick.  In this application,  aluminum foil,  aluminumized mylar or similar would do   just as well so long as it was wrinkle free.  The reflective qualities of aluminum and copper are quite similar   in this respect.   Also,  there is no need to put the reflective surface on the face of the range booster.  It will   work just as well if you attach it to the back,  or even embed it into the plastic.  The rf produced by the   Phantoms r/c goes right through the plastic.  Otherwise,  the stock antennas plastic housing would prevent   any signal from getting out.  It is important that you have the antenna pointed as directly at the aircraft as   possible, because these things have 0 performance to the side.  This is true of the reception of the video fpv   as well as transmitting the control signal.  For anyone interested in getting the maximum performance from   any antenna system,  I recommend the ARRL antenna handbook.  It is THE definitive source of antenna   theory,  design and information.
2017-10-19
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Simple answers  :

On the Lightbridge dual Antenna machines such as the P3P which you fit the longer dual reflectors : I can honestly say that the signal strength on both Video and Control is improved. It is more stable and gives me a small range addition. But directional ... turn the reflector away from AC and signal drops dramatically.

On the dual frequency such as the P3S where you only have reflector on the control 5.8 signal - then video is not improved, but control is.

You can of course fit such as Argtek to P3S and then have reflectors on all antenna ... then you get not only Argtek but also reflectors addition ... I had over 4.5kms ...

Reflectors are the simplest and cheapest addition you can do.

Nigel
2017-10-20
Use props
djiuser_q1RcZeM
New
United States

I have purchased a windsurfer from Amazon and I am getting significant range improvement! Worth the few bucks!!
2017-10-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha FC,

Long time no see!  The windsurfers cost very little but provide a very big service.  But, as noted by Hellsgate and Kneepuck, it is very directional.   In my case, the parabolics also penetrate the jungle real well and allow for more flying opportunities here in the jungle.  Here is a video showing what they can do.

So in all they can give you better range, video and penetration of vegetation.  The vegetation penetration also depends on how recently it has rained.  Water in and on the leaves diffuses the signals reducing the benefit.  It does not make it worse, just not as good as it could be.

Hope this helps!  Good to see you back.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-23
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

I agree with Cetacean! I have found that when conditions are difficult (forest or mountain canyons) the windsurfers really help keeping solid video and rc control of my P3P.
Have fun & good flying!
2017-10-24
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-10-23 22:40
Aloha FC,

Long time no see!  The windsurfers cost very little but provide a very big service.  But, as noted by Hellsgate and Kneepuck, it is very directional.   In my case, the parabolics also penetrate the jungle real well and allow for more flying opportunities here in the jungle.  Here is a video showing what they can do.

great vidio keep on flying
2017-10-24
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

repairman Posted at 2017-10-24 08:56
great vidio keep on flying

Aloha repairman,

Mahalo!  So, can I call you when I need you?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules