Lowepro Droneguard BP450 AW - Backpack review.
2945 20 2017-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Image heavy thread.

I've had my P4P for a few months now, and bought a Proflight Hardshell backpack as part of a package - £49.97, from dronesdirect.co.uk

It's ok - but that is all. So I've replaced it with a Lowepro DroneGuard 450 AW.

Old and New.

The ProFlight backpack does the job, and cradles the P4P very well indeed.  However it was far from optimal, with no thought for storage of your screen - be it a Samsung Tab, Apple iPad or in my case Hauwei Mediatab2 - 10".

No Tablet Storage

I hated having to pull out the foam insert to access the tablet.  I stored it here as a workaround the storage problem, or lack thereof.  Why didn't I carry on doing this?  The foam was getting weakened by my continual pulling out of the foam.  Ergonimically, it's a pain - and setting up was getting to be a hassle too.  A slight gust of wind - and the foam insert was gone.

The workaround for storing the tablet - not really practical to say the least.

So thank fully I had found Lowepro had redesigned their droneguard series of backpacks.  The 400 wasn't quite what I was looking for - and the DJI Multifunciton backpack was a nearly.  Why the Lowepro DG450?

Tablet Storage.

It was built for the Phantom - or other similar sized drones.  It was also built with storage for your tablet in mind.  Just for comparison - the Huawei MediaTab2, 10" overall dimensions are 239.9 x 172.8 x 7.4mm (9.44 x 6.80 x 0.29")

Alternative storage for the tablet in the top pocket.

I'm looking to store it in the interior pockets with the drone though.  Will it fit?

Yes it does!

Piece of pi**

Cost.
Prices vary on the internet - from as much as £350, to as little as (relatively) £170.  Average price seems to be about £225.  Lowepro's MRP is £258 according to their website today, so I was fairly happy that wexphotovideo.com, based in Norwich, Norfolk, UK were selling it for the £170.

http://www.wexphotovideo.com/low ... w-backpack-1593801/       No - I'm not affiliated with Lowepro or Wex Photo Video, or being paid by them for this review.

I ordered it while working away - and they helpfully delayed the postage until I was home.  Glad I did - last I checked, they were out of stock, as are Lowepro themselves!

Quality.
So - how does it hold up?  It's very very good.  This is why I'm writing this review.  Others may benefit from this.  Quality is first rate.   Stitching is of a good quality.  Materials seem to be made with longivety in mind.  Always a plus in my mind.  
It holds the drone very snugly, some may say too snug.  No bad thing in my book, so to speak.  

Comfort.
I've not been out with it yet - but just walking about the house, it seems fine.  More comfortable than the pro-flight backpack anyway.  Little touches too, like the elasticated binders to keep the extra strap material out of the way.  Good thinking Lowepro.  

Space inside.
Plenty of space though - and I do mean plenty.  There is plenty of room for my spare batteries.  A couple of goes, getting the dividers set up for them, and we're set to go.

I can even fit my Canon 7D, plus a 10-24 wideangle lens, plus the 18-200mm tele lens.  This does increase the weight significantly though.

I'll probably tinker with the layout over the next few days or weeks - but I'm happy with the layout at the moment.  I've even room to put my small point and shoot camera in the top pocket if I wanted, plus more items - sunglasses etc.   There are a few side pockets too - although these are really slim and only really good for small thin items.

Other thoughts.

No tri-pod attatchment - although if you can, you could always hash one up from some velcro.

Size
Would I put it in through the baggage process on an airline?  Not if I could help it.  It may go in a larger overhead locker.  Obviously check with your airline.

the DG450's dimensions are; 34 x 26 x 56 cm (13.39 x 10.24 x 22.05 in).
To give you an idea, one of my local airlines (FlyBe) quotes their max cabin baggage size as; 55 x 35 x 20cm.
British Airways website says their max cabin luggage size is 56 x 45 x 25cm.

So International, intercontinental flights are more likely to take the DG450 as cabin luggage, but smaller local airlines, not so much.
Again - always best to check with what airline you are flying with.

Any questions - fire away.

Edit - Manufacturer's weblink if of interest to anyone;

https://www.lowepro.co.uk/brands/lowepro/droneguard/droneguard-bp-450-aw/pd383/

LP DG450 - 1.pdf

691.37 KB, Down times: 3

LP DG450 - 2.pdf

658.32 KB, Down times: 2

LP DG450 - 3.pdf

653.85 KB, Down times: 3

LP DG450 - 4.pdf

729.32 KB, Down times: 2

LP DG450 - 5.pdf

628.2 KB, Down times: 4

LP DG450 - 6.pdf

544.4 KB, Down times: 2

LP DG450 - 7.pdf

639.05 KB, Down times: 2

LP DG450 - 8.pdf

613.13 KB, Down times: 2

LP DG450 - 9.pdf

739.91 KB, Down times: 3

LP DG450 - 10.pdf

763.59 KB, Down times: 3

LP DG450 - 11.pdf

510.57 KB, Down times: 3

LP DG450 - 12.pdf

406.28 KB, Down times: 2

2017-10-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2017-10-22
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Admin - can you delete the pdf links, at the bottom of the 1st post please.  They are not required now, and were added in error.
2017-10-22
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

and one important thing with lowepro, the seams and slides are guaranteed for life :-)
2017-10-22
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bonus feature.

Just seen this from the website, wondering why I didn't have the waterproof cover

So I look at the bag more carefully.  At the bottom is another zipped compartment.

Open it up to find the cover.  Not only that - but Lowepro have kept it attached - so no chance of losing it on a windy day.  Another tick for good thinking!

Certainly seems to do the job!

Discrete zipped compartment in bottom of the backpack.

Cover attached by elasticated lanyard.  Good thinking Lowero!

Cover in place.  It's not the prettiest - but it'll do the job well, I'm sure.

2017-10-22
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Nice review !
2017-10-22
Use props
COberschneider
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I too have the BP450 AW and love it - but there's still one thing that's a MUST HAVE for any drone backpack: the possibility to use a hydration bladder, or even just a basic water bottle. I'm often hiking for 2-3 hrs with my drone backpack and don't want to carry a bottle in my hands the whole time. I have no idea why they didn't make those side pockets fit a bottle or a bladder, it wouldn't even make the whole backpack bulkier. So I guess whoever designed the BP450 AW doesn't really use it in the mountains...such a shame.
I just got an Evoc CP 35 (http://www.evocsports.com/products/backpacks/cp-35l) that fits the P4pro (and my DSLR gear) and has a separate compartment for a hydration bladder. The backpack is HUGE & it's heavy, but it gets the job done so much better than the BP450 AW!
2017-10-23
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have got the manfrotto backback.
A lot of place for : p4p + all accesories, spark +all accesoiries, go pro , go pro stabilizer, ipad mini and macbook pro . Everything fits in there , one of the best to have
FAEEDAAB-7E96-4BB4-BDFF-063112B324EE.jpeg
2017-10-23
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Upper compartment of manfrotto drone backpack
02C836FF-177D-4CAD-90B3-A59DAA1B6279.jpeg
2017-10-23
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Pro-Flight fits the iPad mini to the side with the prop's - Minor mod with a very sharp blade and bingo. Fits perfect. Had one for a while now. Good review of the Lower though. Expensive but a damned good backpack.
2017-10-23
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

COberschneider Posted at 2017-10-23 02:31
I too have the BP450 AW and love it - but there's still one thing that's a MUST HAVE for any drone backpack: the possibility to use a hydration bladder, or even just a basic water bottle. I'm often hiking for 2-3 hrs with my drone backpack and don't want to carry a bottle in my hands the whole time. I have no idea why they didn't make those side pockets fit a bottle or a bladder, it wouldn't even make the whole backpack bulkier. So I guess whoever designed the BP450 AW doesn't really use it in the mountains...such a shame.
I just got an Evoc CP 35 (http://www.evocsports.com/products/backpacks/cp-35l) that fits the P4pro (and my DSLR gear) and has a separate compartment for a hydration bladder. The backpack is HUGE & it's heavy, but it gets the job done so much better than the BP450 AW!

Thanks for the comments, COberschneider.

I didn't even see your backpack while I was looking - and I had been looking since I got the Pro-Flight - and it's short-comings.  Looks like you got a good back-pack there.

The addition of extra straps or connectors so you could add waterbottle containers or a tri-pod would have been hugely beneficial.  Hopefully Lowepro can add something like that to the Droneguard 500 if/when it comes out.
2017-10-24
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-23 04:43
The Pro-Flight fits the iPad mini to the side with the prop's - Minor mod with a very sharp blade and bingo. Fits perfect. Had one for a while now. Good review of the Lower though. Expensive but a damned good backpack.

I appreciate what you're saying Corey, but my tablet is 10", as per the pics - so I needed something that could house that size tablet comfortably.  The ProFlight couldn't do that, unless I was opening the foam shell on the inside - and then risk it blowing away.

Very happy with the LowePro though.  Expensive, yes.  I'm fortunate to have a good job that pays well, and allows me to indulge the more expensive options available.

Now, only if I could get a job where I could purchase an F-Type R without having to worry about the mortgage!
2017-10-24
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-24 01:13
I appreciate what you're saying Corey, but my tablet is 10", as per the pics - so I needed something that could house that size tablet comfortably.  The ProFlight couldn't do that, unless I was opening the foam shell on the inside - and then risk it blowing away.

Very happy with the LowePro though.  Expensive, yes.  I'm fortunate to have a good job that pays well, and allows me to indulge the more expensive options available.

Oh the Jaaaaaag is a very pleasing car. Managed to find the backpack for a good price from a couple of sellers in the UK, so may take the plunge.
2017-10-25
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-25 23:03
Oh the Jaaaaaag is a very pleasing car. Managed to find the backpack for a good price from a couple of sellers in the UK, so may take the plunge.

The F-Type is a nice car, 100% agreed.  Been driving the XF-S for 5 years now - maybe I'll be in a position in
a few years to get the F-Type eventually.

Off to Galway over the weekend, then Dublin the next - so the Lowepro will get its first full outing.

I'll let you know how it went.
2017-10-26
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-26 01:09
The F-Type is a nice car, 100% agreed.  Been driving the XF-S for 5 years now - maybe I'll be in a position in
a few years to get the F-Type eventually.

Link me in to any footage if you can. Should be good if the weather gods allow.
2017-10-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Just a word on your awesome Lowe Pro hardside backpack case.
Don't cross the antenna, but leave them side by side...

Crossing them, can lead to breakage... So play safe. ;-)

Enjoy your drone, and that new case, awesome.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-27
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-26 23:52
Link me in to any footage if you can. Should be good if the weather gods allow.

Beautiful day here today - hoping it carries on for the weekend.

Will be posting up some videos soon.
2017-10-27
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-27 00:21
Just a word on your awesome Lowe Pro hardside backpack case.
Don't cross the antenna, but leave them side by side...

Noted.

Thanks RHP.
2017-10-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Many welcomes, to you and all herein...

The negative Experience of several others on the Phantom forums , taught us that lesson.

Don't be a statistic. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-22 06:12
Admin - can you delete the pdf links, at the bottom of the 1st post please.  They are not required now, and were added in error.

Sorry that we cannot delete attachment either
2017-10-29
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Got back yesterday from a 9 day jaunt in Ireland.

When I did have the backpack on, I found it comfortable.

I didn't have it on for hours - but even 30mins will tell you if any problems should arise.

Thankfully none.  A good backpack to have, and I can say comfortable as well too.
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules