What hardware do you use to monitor your flight.
12Next >
3003 44 2017-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Please only Phantom users.

It would interest me to know sort of hardware people are using, multiple selections are possible.
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 6 entry optional ), Total 68 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

5.36% (9)
24.40% (41)
6.55% (11)
9.52% (16)
2.38% (4)
2.38% (4)
0.00% (0)
1.19% (2)
11.31% (19)
0.60% (1)
2.38% (4)
11.90% (20)
14.88% (25)
7.14% (12)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-10-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Does headset mean goggles and the like?  Sorry, my English isn't so good because I'm from the USA.  
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-22 07:03
Does headset mean goggles and the like?  Sorry, my English isn't so good because I'm from the USA.

Yes, please read goggles as headset my mistake. ........ and a big smiling Emoticon, my iPad refuses to do them.
2017-10-22
Use props
TriProt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2139150 ft
United States

Does a hardware selection mean "successfully" used or "attempted" to use? I switched to a CrystalSky after the app on a Nexus 9 tablet became no longer reliable, but still included Android tablet in the survey.
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

TriProt Posted at 2017-10-22 08:23
Does a hardware selection mean "successfully" used or "attempted" to use? I switched to a CrystalSky after the app on a Nexus 9 tablet became no longer reliable, but still included Android tablet in the survey.

Thats fine. Maybe I should have included a “would like to use” factor, thank you for the reply.
2017-10-22
Use props
NGF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

Hi all. My very first post on the internet, ever! I bought a iPad mini last week after taking the plunge buying a Phantom 4. I used my iPhone 6s to fetch the DJI go app but knew it was far too small for my ageing vision. I went to a pawn shop and got a great deal on the mini, £200 in as new condition. Ive just returned home from a flight and watched a Youtube vid, the bloke on the vid had a much larger iPad than I was using and it occurred to me that he was using a 24cm x 17cm, not sure of the version, maybe 9 inch. Anyway, its the same one which I bought last Black Friday. Just thought I'd share my stupidity with you guys, just so you know what sort of loon you're sharing this wonderful place with.
2017-10-22
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Is this survey legit? 18-35 year olds using tablets and phones? Something smells fishy
2017-10-22
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-10-22 11:33
Is this survey legit? 18-35 year olds using tablets and phones? Something smells fishy

Not sure if that's fishy, but I dunno.  The post right above yours is a 1-month-old baby making their first ever post on the internet (so they say), so I'll believe anything at this point.  By the way, I don't think pawn shops are the kind of place for such small tots.
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

NGF Posted at 2017-10-22 11:16
Hi all. My very first post on the internet, ever! I bought a iPad mini last week after taking the plunge buying a Phantom 4. I used my iPhone 6s to fetch the DJI go app but knew it was far too small for my ageing vision. I went to a pawn shop and got a great deal on the mini, £200 in as new condition. Ive just returned home from a flight and watched a Youtube vid, the bloke on the vid had a much larger iPad than I was using and it occurred to me that he was using a 24cm x 17cm, not sure of the version, maybe 9 inch. Anyway, its the same one which I bought last Black Friday. Just thought I'd share my stupidity with you guys, just so you know what sort of loon you're sharing this wonderful place with.

First, congratulations on the recent family addition. It is good to hear from another new p4 user. The iPad you mentioned sounds like the 10.5” screen, there is a larger 12.9” screen which needs an extension on the DJI controller to use. My wife has the iPad mini with a 7.9” screen, I have used it occasionally and find it perfect. It is well suited in both size and quality. Welcome in the community.
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Hmmmmm, sure it is legit, the only thing that smells fishy is perhaps a p4p being used for underwater photos. I do not understand the comment.
2017-10-22
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Hopefully the buildin display count as CrytalSky.
I don't count my last gray hair as being hardware so sorry, omitted the last part.
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-22 13:45
Hopefully the buildin display count as CrytalSky.
I don't count my last gray hair as being hardware so sorry, omitted the last part.

Ok, it is not hardware, but it puts you in a lot of good company. I wish I had even grey ones. Count 1+ for CrystalSky. Thank you.
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

For me, a headset means wearing earphones.

So yes, I do... An awesome, wireless Bluetooth set.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-22 15:39
For me, a headset means wearing earphones.

So yes, I do... An awesome, wireless Bluetooth set.

I replied to my mistake above. In europe goggles are used for swimming, headsets usually include a microfone and are used by pilots. I believe the correct international term is “VR Glasses”. But I think we all know what is meant here.  
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Well come on in,  to the forum and extended drone pilot family.

It's a great place to get your feet wet. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-22 16:00
I replied to my mistake above. In europe goggles are used for swimming, headsets usually include a microfone and are used by pilots. I believe the correct international term is “VR Glasses”. But I think we all know what is meant here.

Yes, a headset usually has headphones to hear and a microphone attached. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Your good, ya look rather young to me
2017-10-22
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-22 11:39
Not sure if that's fishy, but I dunno.  The post right above yours is a 1-month-old baby making their first ever post on the internet (so they say), so I'll believe anything at this point.  By the way, I don't think pawn shops are the kind of place for such small tots.

You are tearing it up lately
2017-10-22
Use props
NGF
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-22 11:39

That baby was less than 24 hours old, it's my new grandson who was born on the 18th.
I celebrated his birth by buying myself the DJI 4.
My hobby is photography, essentially,  which really was my excuse for the purchase.
I'm getting my head around the kit firstly, learning to fly it safely and with confidence.

The photography element of the device will come as soon as I have mastered the bird.
Hopefully, I should have some great imagery to share with you guys in the coming months.
My first mission is, or will be, of my favourite location, Crantock Beach in Cornwall.

I'm not rolling in money and inadvertently, now have 2 iPads, I'm sure they'll have their uses.
Sorry for pooping on your thread with this introduction and appreciate the welcome.
2017-10-22
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I use a galaxy s7 edge.
It  works perfectly every time.
Ive tried using a galaxy tab a 7 but havent had much success with that.
2017-10-22
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

NGF Posted at 2017-10-22 22:26
That baby was less than 24 hours old, it's my new grandson who was born on the 18th.
I celebrated his birth by buying myself the DJI 4.
My hobby is photography, essentially,  which really was my excuse for the purchase.

You will not be the only one flying Crantock Beach, watch out for near misses or worse.

Crantock Beach.jpg
2017-10-22
Use props
M.C. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iphone IOS does the job for me !   
2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The iPad Air2 Cellular is a beast, and has not given me a single issue since I paired it to my Phantom 3 Pro. Just marvelous...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
NGF
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-22 23:51
You will not be the only one flying Crantock Beach, watch out for near misses or worse.

[view_image]

The Gannel has changed its course since that image was taken.
I'm trying for a waypoint mission from the Texaco garage on Gannel Rd up to the Bowgie at west Pentire.
If you're on Facebook and a fan of Crantock, these following members pages maybe right up your street...

The Gannel Appreciation Group

Crantock Beach
2017-10-23
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

NGF Posted at 2017-10-23 11:09
The Gannel has changed its course since that image was taken.
I'm trying for a waypoint mission from the Texaco garage on Gannel Rd up to the Bowgie at west Pentire.
If you're on Facebook and a fan of Crantock, these following members pages maybe right up your street...

It is not the only thing that changes its course in a lifetime. Thank you for the info.
2017-10-23
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-23 10:40
The iPad Air2 Cellular is a beast, and has not given me a single issue since I paired it to my Phantom 3 Pro. Just marvelous...

Well the poll has only been up for 24 hours, but I am amazed already, IOS is well out front and the users are not as young as I suspected. Maybe it is only the people who have time to complete the poll.
2017-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-23 13:09
Well the poll has only been up for 24 hours, but I am amazed already, IOS is well out front and the users are not as young as I suspected. Maybe it is only the people who have time to complete the poll.

Yes, disposable income as well. ;-)
Nothing is cheap, these days...
If I could have known how much fun RC hobbies are, I may have started this adventure, much earlier in my life.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-23
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-23 13:29
Yes, disposable income as well. ;-)
Nothing is cheap, these days...
If I could have known how much fun RC hobbies are, I may have started this adventure, much earlier in my life.

Yes indeed, disposable income and deposable time. The phantoms are not cheap but they do provide a professional entry level in terms of quality and capability. I have been flying drones for a while, my principal used to be if you want a stable platform, you need to get something big, heavy and exorbitantly expensive. My standard drone fell sick and was not available for use on a trip I wanted to make early this year, a colleague persuaded me buy the p4p. I have hardly used the older drone again although it does sound better.

2017-10-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe so, they're still working on perfecting implanting the SIM cards at birth, until then they will have to stick with input devices :-)
2017-10-24
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2017-10-24 08:15
I believe so, they're still working on perfecting implanting the SIM cards at birth, until then they will have to stick with input devices :-)

Would that make firmware updates possible, I know a number of 13-16 year olds in puberty that could do with an update?
2017-10-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-24 08:21
Would that make firmware updates possible, I know a number of 13-16 year olds in puberty that could do with an update?

A 'Re-Boot' (left or right) usually does the job
2017-10-24
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-24 08:21

I'd gladly swap firmware with 'em.  Maybe hardware too!
2017-10-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-10-24 08:25
I'd gladly swap firmware with 'em.  Maybe hardware too!

Perhaps stop smoking, reducing hardening of the arteries. Shrinking the tiny vessels and capillaries. Which is opposed to that other implement of desire. Which takes blood flow to perform opptimally. Ha

Hey, bud you mentioned it. Just making a social commentary.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-24
Use props
McCraik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 338366 ft
United Kingdom

Have just got my first drone, a Phantom 4, flew it first using my Oneplus 2 Android phone but due to advancing years and diminishing eye sight decided to move to a tablet. After much searching it appeared that more people seemed to recommend an iPad, not being a fan of Apples pricing structure I picked up a used iPad mini which seems to work very well and I can see the screen.
2017-10-24
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

You are in very good company. You didn’t buy the cheapest drone either.
2017-10-24
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

McCraik Posted at 2017-10-24 14:00
Have just got my first drone, a Phantom 4, flew it first using my Oneplus 2 Android phone but due to advancing years and diminishing eye sight decided to move to a tablet. After much searching it appeared that more people seemed to recommend an iPad, not being a fan of Apples pricing structure I picked up a used iPad mini which seems to work very well and I can see the screen.

Sorry, above reply was intended for McCraik.
2017-10-24
Use props
McCraik
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Dockater Posted at 2017-10-24 20:04
Sorry, above reply was intended for McCraik.

Thanks am sure in very good company, did look at the options and prices, what clinched it was Maplins having a "used" phantom 4 C/W extra battery for a very good price.
2017-10-26
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

iPad mini 2 retina with the Go 4 app and my Google Pixel with Litchi.
I rarely have problems with either.
I have heard people say that that particular iPad is underpowered, but all I use it for is my P4.
2017-10-27
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Germany

BouldersDad Posted at 2017-10-27 12:40
I have heard people say that that particular iPad is underpowered, but all I use it for is my P4.

It is 2 generations back, but if it works, and there is no significant lag, don't knock it. I often use Litchi as well.
2017-10-27
Use props
McCraik
lvl.3
United Kingdom

BouldersDad Posted at 2017-10-27 12:40

Hi BouldersDad, I to have a Mini 2 which works well except it is nagging me to update to iOS 11, have you done this yet and if so how does it run, have seen reports that iOS 11 slows the mini 2 down.
2017-10-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules