Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mind of its own
1751 19 2017-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I have been flying my P3SE for a while now and love it but today it had a mind of its own.
I did a waypoint flight this morning and it worked perfectly as usual.
It was a short flight, 9 minutes, so I decided to fly another and that's when things went wrong.

I'll start at the beginning, last week there was an app update for DJI go so I updated ( I know bad idea, my bad)
Back to today - second flight I was  throttle up and it just stopped, no control no matter the stick movement.
It did an auto land without me doing anything. I pulled left stick down to shut off the motors, no joy.
I then let go of the stick and it rose vertically approximately 4', auto take off maybe.
Again no control with the remote. I was applying right stick forward and it took off like a bat out of hell forward.
Seems like it connected while I was pushing the stick forward, like turning on a switch.
Figured I had enough and pulled the right stick back to bring it to me to land
Nothing, then again like flipping a switch and it was moving fast backwards and loosing altitude.
I bailed out of the way, stick neutral at this point, it caught garden edging and flipped over.
I shut off the battery and packed it in.
There was a message on the screen (turn off beginners mode to use the flight modes, or something like that) beginners mode was off.
Rear led's cycling between green and rapid yellow.

I uninstalled the app, shut down the iPad2 and restarted, reinstalled the app and tested.
Seems to be operating fine now but in the about section it does not recognize the AC, says unknown.

Lessons learned - I now have no problem believing someone when they say their drone took off at a high rate of speed and crashed into something.
If you loose control leave the sticks alone I should have grabbed it by the landing gear and shut down the battery
Restart your device then reinstall the app with an update, fresh clean install.

Am I mad, not at all, no harm no foul except the props are hammered, DJI I wouldn't refuse a fresh set.
I lost a little confidence but it'll come back
That's my story and I'm sticking with it, not pilot error but pilot ignorance. I read enough to not update so that's on me.
2017-10-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your problem is that you don't know what was happening so you are guessing.
Without seeing what was in the Phantom's "mind" guessing is likely to fail to explain what happened.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2017-10-22
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

There are only two flight records when I reinstalled the app and tested.
How do I get the old flight records back?
I synced the flight logs, all, same two.

Oh well.
I don't know why it happened but I do know what happened.
The remote kept connecting and disconnecting from the AC. The LED's were switching from green to quick flash yellow.
When disconnected and I was moving the joystick it would reconnect and see it as a significant input and move in that direction.
That's what I meant by operating like a switch. I'm pulling back on the right stick but it's disconnected. It then connects while I'm still holding the stick and away we go.
As far as the why the connect/disconnect? I have no idea, the drone was 10' away from me.
I always do a pre-flight. Firmware up to date, IMU and compass normal, battery 100% beginning of flight, same with remote.

2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-22 16:08

You should always sync your flights to the cloud "before" uninstalling the Go app.

Then resync to bring them back to the new Go app install.

I lost a ton of flights, when replacing my iPad Mini, iPad Air2...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-22 16:18
You should always sync your flights to the cloud "before" uninstalling the Go app.

Then resync to bring them back to the new Go app install.

Can I pull them off the AC?
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-22 16:27
Can I pull them off the AC?

I'm afraid not. Poor boy.

Once you deleted them, with the old app, they were gone...

But let this be a valuable lesson to us and others. Sync your flights before you uninstall the Go app.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-22 16:30
I'm afraid not. Poor boy.

Once you deleted them, with the old app, they were gone...

Crap, lesson learned, thanks.
My flight distance to the left is now 30, yeah, no.
2017-10-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-22 16:08
I synced the flight logs, all, same two.

The flight data often explains what might seem to be crazy to a disoriented flyer.
I can't work out what happened from your description but probably could if the data was available.
If it's working fine now, then it doesn't seem to be any serious issue.
There is likely to be a good explanation for what you observed but it's going to remain a mystery now.
Use it some more in wide open spaces, put it through its paces and regain confidence.
2017-10-22
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-22 16:45
The flight data often explains what might seem to be crazy to a disoriented flyer.
I can't work out what happened from your description but probably could if the data was available.
If it's working fine now, then it doesn't seem to be any serious issue.

It should be fine.
My only concern now is when viewing about in the app the AC is unknown as far as firmware version.
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-22 16:33

That forum number means nothing. You and I both know that we had more flight mileage, and that's all that matters. Just go flying more often, if you need a bigger number, that proves nothing. ;-)

Anyway, being that you are now, so new here, you can ask all them questions you wanted answered.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

“shut down the iPad2 and restarted”. You can run GO on an iPad 2?!?
2017-10-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated. It might be difficult to locate the reason for now. I would suggest to take care and do more tests to check the performance.
2017-10-23
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

Sunny D Posted at 2017-10-22 18:39
“shut down the iPad2 and restarted”. You can run GO on an iPad 2?!?

Yeah,  the iPad light. I think Apple calls it the ipad2.
Using it now, silver and black, just fits in the remote control tablet/phone holder.
It's more than an hour old so it's dated but it works.
2017-10-23
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-10-23 01:39
Thanks for keeping us updated. It might be difficult to locate the reason for now. I would suggest to take care and do more tests to check the performance.

Thank you Susan, I will
2017-10-23
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

Just an update.
I have been flying the P3SE without a glitch.
Flew it around my yard a couple battery charges and today two waypoint missions, operated perfectly.
2017-10-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-22 16:33

Just wondering the way you write it, has your distance here been higher than now, has you been syncing any logs before or was this the first time?
2017-10-28
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-10-28 22:09
Just wondering the way you write it, has your distance here been higher than now, has you been syncing any logs before or was this the first time?

Not quite sure what you are asking but I have never synced my flight records, still don't.
It seems to do it automatically. I have no idea what happens when the app is deleted but apparently it wipes your logs.

I think they are still on the AC  but I can't access them. I enter into flight data mode and plug  the AC into the computer but I can't locate them.
2017-10-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-29 04:00
Not quite sure what you are asking but I have never synced my flight records, still don't.
It seems to do it automatically. I have no idea what happens when the app is deleted but apparently it wipes your logs.

The app stores your flight records.  I told you how to get them in post #2.
They are not synched (uploaded to DJI) unless you do that yourself.
Whatever logs you have synched are protected even if you delete the app.
The data recorder in the Phantom only stores the last 4 flights and the oldest is overwritten by the newest flight.
2017-10-29
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-10-29 04:40
The app stores your flight records.  I told you how to get them in post #2.
They are not synched (uploaded to DJI) unless you do that yourself.
Whatever logs you have synched are protected even if you delete the app.

I did as you suggested in post 2 and saved them to a folder on my computer.
Unfortunately I deleted the app and reinstalled before knowing that it wipes the log.
From now on I will pull the logs before deleting the app and save  them on my computer.

I asked if the AC stored the flight and was told no, now you say it stores the last four.
Had I know that and how to pull them off the AC you and others could have possibly solved the disconnect mystery. I had several flights after the incident so that flight is also gone.

The drone is working fine so I'm over it.
2017-10-29
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

CabinPete Posted at 2017-10-29 04:00

It was the "flight distance to the left is now 30, yeah, no." statement that made me wonder if it has had a higher count before, in that case i would have asked if you're using the same login.

Guess Labroides has given all the help possible.
2017-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules