"Motor Obstructed" but motor seems fine?
2130 12 2017-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SilkyFlyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79823 ft
United States

Hi! Hit a vine that I didn't see. . .only about 5 feet off the ground. . 1 motor still spinning when I picked it up just a few seconds after that crash. 1 motor coninuted to spin until I shut off the power on the drone.  Everything seemed fine. . all props good and motors seem to spin freely but when I re-start the drone, I get "Motor Obstructed" and it won't start up. I corner the sticks and 3 motors start briefly then stop.  I can do this a few times then no motors start.  If I re-start the drone then sometimes I can get the 3 motors to start.  Is it just the motor that needs to be replaced or could it be the ESC or something else? Kinda weird that the motor seems fine. . .any way to test it? Thanks!
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Is it possible the motor became unplugged?

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Motor must have been damaged somewhere.  Remove all props and see if it will spin up with a little nudge. I would check to see if it's in the same position as the others too.
2017-10-22
Use props
SilkyFlyer
lvl.1
United States

THanks for the feedback . .motor will not spin with nudge.  RE unplugged, upon looking at Youtube videos, the motor wires are soldered. .not sure what would be unplugged. ..any other ideas? Thanks again.  PS Maybe just for the $18 I should replace the motor and see if that does the trick?
2017-10-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SilkyFlyer Posted at 2017-10-22 17:28
THanks for the feedback . .motor will not spin with nudge.  RE unplugged, upon looking at Youtube videos, the motor wires are soldered. .not sure what would be unplugged. ..any other ideas? Thanks again.  PS Maybe just for the $18 I should replace the motor and see if that does the trick?

Replacing the motor is not a job for a novice, very often it results in a dead aircraft. You would be advised to send it to DJI for repair.
2017-10-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Be careful taking the top half of shell.  It can be difficult and a pain. Go slow.  BTW, I have to ask......satellite provider?
2017-10-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes of course the wires are soldered in. But it's possible a joint came apart.
Anyway, if you want to check the wayward motor, perhaps a voltmeter would help.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It should be the hardware issue. And the performance can not be ensured after crash. Please send it in for fully diagnosis and repair: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-10-23
Use props
SilkyFlyer
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-22 17:41
Replacing the motor is not a job for a novice, very often it results in a dead aircraft. You would be advised to send it to DJI for repair.

Hey Geebax ~ thanks for the reply.  I've done quite a bit of repair work and according to the videos that I've seen online, getting to the motor involves removing the top shell and the actual motor is 3 wires that need to be soldered.  Am I missing something? I don't want to make a mess of things but also would like to take care of this asap rather than waiting a month for DJI, shipping, etc. for just a 3 wire motor.  What would cause a "dead aircraft"? Thanks again.
2017-10-23
Use props
SilkyFlyer
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-22 17:41

Hey Geebax ~ thanks for the reply.  I've done quite a bit of repair work and according to the videos that I've seen online, getting to the motor involves removing the top shell and the actual motor is 3 wires that need to be soldered.  Am I missing something? I don't want to make a mess of things but also would like to take care of this asap rather than waiting a month for DJI, shipping, etc. for just a 3 wire motor.  What would cause a "dead aircraft"? Thanks again.
2017-10-23
Use props
SilkyFlyer
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone had any experience with sending the drone away for repair? Which repair shop did you use (local or back to China?) How long did it take? If it's local and not crazy expensive I'll just send it for a verified repair.  Otherwise, I don't really have a problem pulling the top cover and taking a peek at the connections and taking some voltmeter readings off the motor (although I'm not sure exactly what I'd be looking for?) Thanks again you guys. . .ps don't have any idea what "Satellite Provider" is. . .must be in my profile. . .I'll look into it!
2017-10-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

SilkyFlyer Posted at 2017-10-23 04:30
Has anyone had any experience with sending the drone away for repair? Which repair shop did you use (local or back to China?) How long did it take? If it's local and not crazy expensive I'll just send it for a verified repair.  Otherwise, I don't really have a problem pulling the top cover and taking a peek at the connections and taking some voltmeter readings off the motor (although I'm not sure exactly what I'd be looking for?) Thanks again you guys. . .ps don't have any idea what "Satellite Provider" is. . .must be in my profile. . .I'll look into it!

I have replaced motors on several of these. I somewhat disagree that it is very difficult. As far as removing the top shell, it can be a little tricky, but very doable. look at a couple Youtube videos for some pointers. Once the top is freed up, just unplug the GPS wire and everything else remains. Soldering the motors is not hard, but you need to have an iron that is hot enough to do the job, and this is nothing special. Some have tried with more of the hobby type soldering irons and if it doesn't get hot enough you will have to stay on the solder joint to an extended period of time and that is when you may cause some damage. You should have an iron that when applied to the joint, it melts the solder in just a few seconds. If you are purchasing a new motor, it already comes pre-tinned and I would suggest removing the wires directly off the main board instead of trying to splice the wires together. Splicing the wires will require them to be "tinned" and the wires come with a protective coating on them and you need to sand/ remove any coating, before the solder will "stick". I have personally tried just about all options, and I found it easiest to take the new motor and touch your iron to the board just long enough to remove the old wires and do the reverse to attach the new wires. Simply touch the iron to the solder joint until you see the solder melting, and quickly stick the pre-tinned end into the pool of solder and remove the iron. Only takes a few seconds!
Careful to attach the wires in the proper sequence. Much easier than I am making it sound. Just my opinion. Good Luck to you.
2017-10-23
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I just thought I would ask if you have any error messages? Normally if you smoke a motor or have something broken in the motor leads you will get an ESC error, and that will not let you start the motors.
I cannot be sure if a motor is your problem, but my earlier post was to comment about the replacing of them. If you have a deeper issue than a motor problem, it would be wise to send it in. I am like you in that I try to fix what I can.  You may not even get your same aircraft back if sent in.......just saying I have read stories about this but can't confirm. I guess a long as you get a good working drone back that is what you want.
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules